The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

9 hours ago, smokes said:

In Canada, it depends on your skin color and where you are on the social ladder. Look at the amount of missing women on Main and Hastings that still have not been found because people don't care. Many Natives are still fighting to keep the reserves that the government gave them in the first place. What bugs me is that when anything about China comes up everyone starts talking about it's human rights record. I don't hear about Canadians complain about the human rights abuses in the US. Things like there are more people locked up in the US than any other countries, that there are kids locked up in adult jails. If Canadians are going to talk about China's human rights record in this situation then it is only fair to drag the US's in with it. 

There is a thread that is going to hit a million views on the US. We have discussed just about every human rights abuse committed by the current US government. If anything the US has been closely scrutinized and we have largely ignored China on CDC. 

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, smokes said:

How can you say that? Do you know how many Chinese people died just building that railroad?  Also at the end of building the railroad, most of the workers did not even get paid. Do you even understand the amount of families that were shattered because of the head tax? Hundreds of thousands were destroyed. Then let's look at when the Canadian government threw many Chinese people in concentration camps with the Japanese and left them there for years. Everything they owned got confiscated and taken away.  It's not to the same level to you because it did not impact you and your people. But with all due respect, please do not diminish the impact it had on our people.

I have been in China for a few years now and I have travelled to the places people talk about, and from my own eyes, I can say it is not as bad as many people talk about. No one talks about the muslim communities that are well off because people only want to hear about the bad stuff. There is a thriving Canadian presence here as well which I happen to be a part of, with the amount of Canadians that have actually been to China and back to Canada, how many of those do you hear say many bad things about it once they've been there. The story that millions of citizens are going missing or being murdered by the government...seriously...MILLIONS?...That's a genocide right there, if that was seriously happening right now, the whole world, all news outlets, everything would be put on hold and everyone in the world would be talking about it. No matter how powerful a government is, it is damn near impossible to do that in such a scale without more storyies and pictures and all of that leaking out. Not in this day and age. If that is really happening, this whole Trump reality show...no one would care. The terrorist groups would be decrying this and posting stuff all over the internet if that story was true.

You need to learn Chinese history, I'm sure your government censors that but just google mao and see how many people died under him.

I don't think it's any surprise why millions upon millions of Chinese people have left that dictatorship for Countries like Canada, US, Australia, etc.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Toews said:

There is a thread that is going to hit a million views on the US. We have discussed just about every human rights abuse committed by the current US government. If anything the US has been closely scrutinized and we have largely ignored China on CDC. 

And largely ignored human rights violations under Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc, etc. No doubt the US is a major human rights violator but nothing compared to China.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

And largely ignored human rights violations under Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc, etc. No doubt the US is a major human rights violator but nothing compared to China.

I would say this is your selective memory in action. Every once in a while we get a "centrist" trying to convince us that Trump is the exact same as previous Presidents. Those flimsy arguments were debunked as well. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You need to learn Chinese history, I'm sure your government censors that but just google mao and see how many people died under him.

I don't think it's any surprise why millions upon millions of Chinese people have left that dictatorship for Countries like Canada, US, Australia, etc.

They censor google heavily to the point you dont even want to use google.

43 minutes ago, Toews said:

I would say this is your selective memory in action. Every once in a while we get a "centrist" trying to convince us that Trump is the exact same as previous Presidents. Those flimsy arguments were debunked as well. 

I'm not saying he is the same but pretty well every US President is responsible for human rights violations over the last 70 years but you only pointed to Trump. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not saying he is the same but pretty well every US President is responsible for human rights violations over the last 70 years but you only pointed to Trump. 

When did I do that? @smokes said we weren't discussing the US's human rights violations and I specifically pointed out that we were doing just that.

27 minutes ago, Toews said:

When did I do that? @smokes said we weren't discussing the US's human rights violations and I specifically pointed out that we were doing just that.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh ok. 

I'm still willing to bet the US did bad stuff under his watch.

Carter initiated the program in 1979 but he was out of the office in 1980.

Originally they included non leathal equipment and other countries sending weapons.