The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm going two thumbs up on the Antoine Roussel signing

*Buzzsaw*

Some people have suggested the Canucks paid too much for Roussel, or the term was too long.

But at this point in the season I have to put this in the 'win' column for Benning.

----

Looking objectively at his play, this is what I see:

Negatives

-  Occasional stupid penalty from pushing the issue too much

Positives

-  Incredible hustle... this guy is a Pac Man on steroids... he never stops... never takes a game off... never is invisible.  CONSISTENT.

-  Great acceleration off a standing stop... maybe not the highest top speed, but he is excellent at breaking out of the zone and taking advantage of defensive gaffs.

-  Nice passing skills... good vision on the ice, and always looking to set his linemates up.

-  Decent shot... not the best finisher, but he has a lot of chances.

-  Great agitator, always on the other team, continually annoyance, continual yapping in their faces.

-  Fearless... willing to go at any time and basically with almost anyone.  Sticks up for his teammates instantly and without hesitation.

-  Capable of playing anywhere in the lineup... 1st line/4th line... very flexible... which is a great positive for a coach dealing with injuries.

-  Despite being a very physical player who is in the thick of things at all times, never seems to get injured... basically a gnarly dude.

----

Roussel now has 11 points on 26 games...  that translates to approx. 30 pts on the season.  When you combine that with all his other attributes, I think it is a  win.

29 years old this season... that makes him 33 when the contract is over... certainly not over the hill.

And this guy is EXACTLY what Playoff contenders want to acquire at the trade deadline....  Benning can trade him for assets any time he wants.

From my perspective this has turned into a great signing.   ;)

43 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

And this guy is EXACTLY what Playoff contenders want to acquire at the trade deadline...

Playoff contenders can't afford his contract unless they're dumping a contract back on us. Maybe they luck out with LTI room, but that only helps in the final year of his contract anyway, and who knows what his play will be like at that point.

But I like Roussel. He's a little overpaid for what he brings, but he's not a bad add for a young team that needs a bit of veteran help that can draw attention away from the prospects 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

The Roussel signing is fine, only 3 mil per. But when you sign too many of them, that's the problem. 

Roussel is like Dorsett to me. And their current success reminds me of Horvat's rookie year when he was successful on a line with Dorsett. 

I was thinking of Dorsett too, he was a bit more willing to drop them heart of a lion and instantly stood up for teammates, Rousell a little more hesitant to fight (both aren’t that good at it either which they have in common) but is an agitator too, both bring some offense and will hit.   Sad to see Dorsett retire, he was on fire at the end too, both earn they pay cheque’s.   Agree with the OP that come playoff time he will garner interest too, as long as his skating stays up (which it should), the last two TDLs there would be takers.  

6 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Playoff contenders can't afford his contract unless they're dumping a contract back on us. Maybe they luck out with LTI room, but that only helps in the final year of his contract anyway, and who knows what his play will be like at that point.

But I like Roussel. He's a little overpaid for what he brings, but he's not a bad add for a young team that needs a bit of veteran help that can draw attention away from the prospects 

There's always the retention option available. 

The overall energy that he brings is fantastic.  Even at the Superskills...he's a character and makes this game "fun".  I'm sure that when things get serious, he's a bit of a bright light in it all.  He hustles and works hard and is the agitator that we need.  Just love him.

Just read the "great in the room" part up there.  That's exactly what I'd expect...that he helps overcome the obstacles and keeps things in perspective.  Good to hear, makes sense.

https://youtu.be/jTfNuPIhJrg

go to the 2:24 mark in sportsnet’s highlight package from last night. The Nashville predators are breaking out of their own zone in a 4 on 2 and Roussel is on the opposing times redline. He hustles back to make it a 4 on 3 and neaturalize the scoring opportunity. 

Incredible hustle and having a player like that on a team full of young players is so important

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

The overall energy that he brings is fantastic.  Even at the Superskills...he's a character and makes this game "fun".  I'm sure that when things get serious, he's a bit of a bright light in it all.  He hustles and works hard and is the agitator that we need.  Just love him.

Just ignore the Bassant Motors radio ad Deb. Roussel pokes fun at Burr. 

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Too inconsistent, too much money, too much term.

could find a better guy for this type of role cheaper and saved money for a better free agent.

A "better guy" may not have the influence on this young team that he is.

On paper means nothing.  It's about chemistry, bonding, leadership, attitude, etc.  ESPECIALLY in a team that's rebuilding.

Money means nothing if the team plays as individuals.  He's a team player and that's obvious.  After having gone through a losing streak, it's a wonder these guys have any confidence or self esteem at all.  The guys who help keep it light are important.

I honestly could care less about the money factor, as it really isn’t my money. If/when we are closer to annual playoff contention, then albatrosses like Eriksson’s contract starts becoming important for cap issues. Until then, guys for 3per who play important roles (such as Burrows, Dorsett and now Roussel), is very underrated on how important these type of players are on the ice and in the room. 

Out of the 3, Schaller’s the only player who hasn’t impressed much. Beagle was a great signing and now that he’s healthy I look forward to what he can bring to the table every night. 

Archived