The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm going two thumbs up on the Antoine Roussel signing

*Buzzsaw*

5 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

I honestly could care less about the money factor, as it really isn’t my money. If/when we are closer to annual playoff contention, then albatrosses like Eriksson’s contract starts becoming important for cap issues. Until then, guys for 3per who play important roles (such as Burrows, Dorsett and now Roussel), is very underrated on how important these type of players are on the ice and in the room. 

Out of the 3, Schaller’s the only player who hasn’t impressed much. Beagle was a great signing and now that he’s healthy I look forward to what he can bring to the table every night. 

thats a bit surprising to me, he seemed to me like he'd be able to deliver on a style of play that didn't rely on production. Maybe he just didn't get into shape properly due to his surgery, but something is off. 

Love Beagle and Rousell tho, they bring a lot of character to the team. What nice is Bo hasn't been overshadowed one bit, if anything he's emerging even more as the natural leader of the team. 

12 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

I honestly could care less about the money factor, as it really isn’t my money. If/when we are closer to annual playoff contention, then albatrosses like Eriksson’s contract starts becoming important for cap issues. Until then, guys for 3per who play important roles (such as Burrows, Dorsett and now Roussel), is very underrated on how important these type of players are on the ice and in the room. 

Out of the 3, Schaller’s the only player who hasn’t impressed much. Beagle was a great signing and now that he’s healthy I look forward to what he can bring to the table every night. 

Fortunately the bulk of our guys won’t need their second contract until these guys are almost done.  Benning was mindful of that when he signed them,  Boeser and Pettersson will get there’s before, and then Hughes is up...

I often hear the argument that Beagle and Roussel are overpaid, “replacement level” players. They say the Canucks would have been better off keeping nic dowd or getting peca or grabbing someone off waivers at the start of the season. I don’t understand this argument. 

Beagle and Rousell are obvious leaders in the room, on the ice, and with the media. They have a hard work ethic and have climbed through the minor leagues to make the NHL. All else being equal, those are qualities you pay a premium for. Think about if you were hiring staff for a project in a different field (i’ll Is finance as an example as that’s my training). 

If if I wanted to hire an analyst to help asses a fund I run, am I going to hire the kid who graduated college a year ago and has been working and entry level job in the field? Or am I going to hire the guy who has been graduated for several years and has been all over the industry learning from other professionals? Well if they’re college achievements are similar, I’m going to hire the experienced guy every time. 

Thats what JB did with Roussel and beagle. Experienced guys don’t need to adjust to the league or learn how to be a depth player or grow each game. They’re established. They know their role. 

Waiver guys and tweeners who were skill guys in the lower leagues and don’t know how to be bottom 6 players are good if you’re strapped for cap space and you have other pieces in place, but the Canucks have plenty of these tweeners and not enough established. 

Beagle and roussel compliment players like motte, gaunce, grandlund, etc. 

Schaller tho, I don’t get that one. Pretty unnecessary. 

10 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I often hear the argument that Beagle and Roussel are overpaid, “replacement level” players. They say the Canucks would have been better off keeping nic dowd or getting peca or grabbing someone off waivers at the start of the season. I don’t understand this argument. 

Beagle and Rousell are obvious leaders in the room, on the ice, and with the media. They have a hard work ethic and have climbed through the minor leagues to make the NHL. All else being equal, those are qualities you pay a premium for. Think about if you were hiring staff for a project in a different field (i’ll Is finance as an example as that’s my training). 

If if I wanted to hire an analyst to help asses a fund I run, am I going to hire the kid who graduated college a year ago and has been working and entry level job in the field? Or am I going to hire the guy who has been graduated for several years and has been all over the industry learning from other professionals? Well if they’re college achievements are similar, I’m going to hire the experienced guy every time. 

Thats what JB did with Roussel and beagle. Experienced guys don’t need to adjust to the league or learn how to be a depth player or grow each game. They’re established. They know their role. 

Waiver guys and tweeners who were skill guys in the lower leagues and don’t know how to be bottom 6 players are good if you’re strapped for cap space and you have other pieces in place, but the Canucks have plenty of these tweeners and not enough established. 

Beagle and roussel compliment players like motte, gaunce, grandlund, etc. 

Schaller tho, I don’t get that one. Pretty unnecessary. 

I call it 'dollar store mentality'. 

Sadly prevalent in today's society.

33 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Roussell takes two penalties in a game= &^@# I hate this signing....

Roussell get a couple point= thread about how much we love the signing.....

Like them or not, Beagle and Rousell are better at this point than any of our prospects although Gaudette is making a case to stay on after Sutter is back.  Benning has repeatedly said he’d make room if a prospect EARNS his spot,  and waived Gagne which shows he’s serious.   It’s too early to complain about these signings, and to proclaim they will make a big difference...both of them are nothing but placeholders as the length of their contracts suggest.   OJ has yet too play which means his second contract won’t be up for a long while yet, and Hughes hasn’t even signed yet.  There will be enough money for both Pettersson and Boeser (6-7 and 8-9), and Gaudette, Hughes, Demko and anyone else that makes it.  Second contracts are supposed to be team friendly and when the cap is maximized as it’s when players are in their prime and usually best years...Horvat case in point and even Nylanders contract will likely hold up as a good one for TO (blast away but anyone who scores 60 plus points in year two and three is going to be good, something Horvat might do this year in year 5).  

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

OJ has yet too play which means his second contract won’t be up for a long while yet, and Hughes hasn’t even signed yet.

OJ is playing professional hockey in Utica therefor burning his first year of his contract. On the other hand with his slower development I'm not worried about his bridge deal being too much. 

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Too inconsistent, too much money, too much term.

could find a better guy for this type of role cheaper and saved money for a better free agent.

He's cost us 1 game for sure, and bits and pieces of 4 more.  Burrows without the scoring touch imo.  On the other hand, he has probably helped us win a few games as well.  The problem is that he seems to get points in games we are going to win anyway -- e.g., 2 of the last 3 games we won, while at the same time he seems to produce nothing but penalties in the close games we could have won, and might have had a better chance in without the penalties.

If he's good in the playoffs, then we should have signed him when we were going to the playoffs, not while rebuilding.  Bad signing.  Like Beagle and Schaller, they have given next to nothing to the Canucks so far.  Beagle too injured, Schaller too ineffectual, Roussel too prone to penalties.  

The team is building an identity, and Roussel is not conducive with it.  Neither is Goldobin, but for other reasons.   Roussel's work ethic is easily as good as Motte's, but he gets better players to play with which means more points.  Horvat and EP drive play, creating possibilities for points for their wingers -- Goldobin and Roussel have benefitted from this, as has Virtanen on occasion.  But Roussel's points would have been picked up by other wingers(barring Eriksson who is useless).  

I hope Roussel is more like the player that fed Jake the other night for a nice goal, and less like the one we have seen earlier.  If so, I'll change my opinion.  So far, like Eriksson, Beagle, Schaller and Gagner... not great signings, but at least as FAs, we know they can be jettisoned with no ill feeling when necessary.  Drafted players are different, we are rightly hesitant to chuck them when they underperform their first year or two (Virtanen and Juolevi, e.g.) 

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

Roussell takes two penalties in a game= &^@# I hate this signing....

Roussell get a couple point= thread about how much we love the signing.....

And when Roussel gets a couple more penalties next game =!!!@#$ I hate this signing all over again.  I agree with you. 

On good teams, I think you need a mix of different age ranges. You need young, cheap, hungry, and fast players,  and you need experienced veterans, and you also need mid-aged players like Roussel. It was definitely a good signing, and I think most people liked the signing at the time, just not the $$$ and term. A good player, that adds some edge to an otherwise soft team.  Very good signing.  

3 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

On good teams, I think you need a mix of different age ranges. You need young, cheap, hungry, and fast players,  and you need experienced veterans, and you also need mid-aged players like Roussel. It was definitely a good signing, and I think most people liked the signing at the time, just not the $$$ and term. A good player, that adds some edge to an otherwise soft team.  Very good signing.  

Definitely need the right mix.

119A4D30-6689-4518-9437-0572079DABFE.png

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Fortunately the bulk of our guys won’t need their second contract until these guys are almost done.  Benning was mindful of that when he signed them,  Boeser and Pettersson will get there’s before, and then Hughes is up...

Yep, Benning was smart in that aspect, as well as, if I’m not mistaken, regarding NMC’s/NTC’s for the majority of signings. But nah, he doesn’t know how negotiate contracts :rolleyes:

Archived