The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm going two thumbs up on the Antoine Roussel signing

*Buzzsaw*

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

I had forgotten about Dorsett.  For the money, he was something.  He was the Burr 2.0.

Roussel not in Dorsett's class yet: too many minor penalties that kill momentum and detract from budding team identity (which is that of an offensive counter-attack team built around pinching D and creative 1st and 2nd line centers driving play.)  I don't see Roussel standing up for linemates, unlike Dorsett and even the ill-fated Prust.  Prust is now playing in Europe, I see Roussel doing the same along with Gagner, Eriksson, etc., sometime in 2021, perhaps earlier, depends on how well Lind, Dahlen and Gadjovich adapt to pro hockey. 

Prust had some good years but when he got here he was close to done as an NHL player, he was almost a clone of Dorsett (undersized enforcer who could put up some points).   

Rousell is not and never has been an enforcer, he’s too small, loses most of his fights and can actually play the game (so could Dorsett, too bad he thought he had to fight everyone no matter the size), his job as an aggitator comes with a lot of minors, which wouldn’t be a big deal if we had Sutter and Beagle together...which we did at the start of the season.  I do agree with you that some of our players will end up in Europe if they want to keep playing, that’s part of the New World Order under the cap..

4 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

I often hear the argument that Beagle and Roussel are overpaid, “replacement level” players. They say the Canucks would have been better off keeping nic dowd or getting peca or grabbing someone off waivers at the start of the season. I don’t understand this argument. 

Beagle and Rousell are obvious leaders in the room, on the ice, and with the media. They have a hard work ethic and have climbed through the minor leagues to make the NHL. All else being equal, those are qualities you pay a premium for. Think about if you were hiring staff for a project in a different field (i’ll Is finance as an example as that’s my training). 

If if I wanted to hire an analyst to help asses a fund I run, am I going to hire the kid who graduated college a year ago and has been working and entry level job in the field? Or am I going to hire the guy who has been graduated for several years and has been all over the industry learning from other professionals? Well if they’re college achievements are similar, I’m going to hire the experienced guy every time. 

Thats what JB did with Roussel and beagle. Experienced guys don’t need to adjust to the league or learn how to be a depth player or grow each game. They’re established. They know their role. 

Waiver guys and tweeners who were skill guys in the lower leagues and don’t know how to be bottom 6 players are good if you’re strapped for cap space and you have other pieces in place, but the Canucks have plenty of these tweeners and not enough established. 

Beagle and roussel compliment players like motte, gaunce, grandlund, etc. 

Schaller tho, I don’t get that one. Pretty unnecessary. 

Gotta figure there was question marks in some of our young guys coming in. Moves like this were likely for insurance purposes for guys like Gaudette and even Pettersson to a far lesser degree. 

All in all, it doesn’t hurt us any, but it would be nice for him to be bringing what he’s advertised for: tenacious, gritty and willing to drop the mitts. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I think Marner would play W and Bo would be a better 3C (or even 4C as the CDN team is very strong at C).  Not sure Kadri makes

the team.

Roussel is a terrific fit for the team right now.  Yeah, he does get a lot of penalties, but he also draws ++ penalties, which provides many scoring opportunities (I know the PP hasn't been great, but it does appear to be improving).

I do think he is similar to Dorsett in speed, great defensive game and great energy guy, but has a higher offensive upside.  He is more of a pest and will never be the fighter that Dorsett was

They were both rather late bloomers and appear to have a similar development track to their games.

I like what you have written in the past, so I'm thinking I'll watch Roussel a little more sympathetically.  I went and looked at what Dallas pundits had to say when he signed with the Canucks and they were regretting his departure more than any of the other players that Dallas let leave that year (and there were 6 I think lol, a lot of turnover.) 

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Too many Leafs for my liking.

Well, maybe we could do without Kadri, but Rielly is pretty good right now.   And Marner… pretty fair playmaker.  Who would you put on Team Canada in place of them?  We have a lot of good players right now to choose from.

3 hours ago, gameburn said:

And none of them get tired easily, nor do they take stupid penalties.  They could play half the game while drawing the other team into penalty after penalty.  Canada is so deep now that you could actually ice this line as a real line, not just for power plays.  

A real shame that Team Canada never had a chance to play recently... a changing of the guard would have taken place... imagine Crosby on the 2nd line... Rielly on D?  Marner as the 3rd line center lol?  Kadri to attract more opposition penalties?   Fastest, most skilled team we'd ever have had.  And probably the youngest.

Marner plays wing...but I get where your going with this.  Any world that Toews might not make the team is a different one.  

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Marner plays wing...but I get where your going with this.  Any world that Toews might not make the team is a different one.  

I think of Marner as an all over the place forward.  Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him take faceoffs... lol.  Sorry about that.  I've watched him play a few times and it never occurred to me that he was a winger.   Amazing.

I'm beginning to see Virtanen as more of that kind of winger.  He starts out on one wing and scores from the other.   His playmaking is getting better too, not quite Marner's class, yet of course.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You're right about Toews, same with Perry and Getzlaf too, maybe even Duncan Keith.  Not sure any of them would make the team.  

Doughty, Crosby, probably Bergeron... they'd be the vets I guess.  And Price...  A whole new look.  Half the team would be under 26. 

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Well, maybe we could do without Kadri, but Rielly is pretty good right now.   And Marner… pretty fair playmaker.  Who would you put on Team Canada in place of them?  We have a lot of good players right now to choose from.

Well the obvious choice for HC is Babs so Marner would probably be on the team. I’d take Giroux over Kadri. 

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

I think of Marner as an all over the place forward.  Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him take faceoffs... lol.  Sorry about that.  I've watched him play a few times and it never occurred to me that he was a winger.   Amazing.

I'm beginning to see Virtanen as more of that kind of winger.  He starts out on one wing and scores from the other.   His playmaking is getting better too, not quite Marner's class, yet of course.

You're right about Toews, same with Perry and Getzlaf too, maybe even Duncan Keith.  Not sure any of them would make the team.  

Doughty, Crosby, probably Bergeron... they'd be the vets I guess.  And Price...  A whole new look.  Half the team would be under 26. 

By the time the Olympics come around again Crosby will be like Iginla was in 2010, and the following one if he’s still playing like Lemuiex in 2002...which was a beast of a team.  McDavid and McKinnon are the new kids on the block, and the Hughes brothers plus Boeser and Mathews will give the US some hope for a medal too.  Even Stamkos and Tavares are getting on...

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

By the time the Olympics come around again Crosby will be like Iginla was in 2010, and the following one if he’s still playing like Lemuiex in 2002...which was a beast of a team.  McDavid and McKinnon are the new kids on the block, and the Hughes brothers plus Boeser and Mathews will give the US some hope for a medal too.  Even Stamkos and Tavares are getting on...

Wooo… how time passes.  The next Olympics is still off a ways... (3 and a half years, is that correct?)  Poor Stamkos: injured every time he had a chance to play over the years... and now maybe time is running out on that.

Yes, U.S. team looks good.  New goaltending too probably: Quick is getting closed to the end of his string too. 

Holy crap Dorset gets a lot of hype around here. Not a big Roussel fan but I will say that he’s a much more versatile player and has the wheels  needed for today’s game. I just never liked him as a player and finding myself trying to do so these days as he is a Canuck for the foreseeable future. Yes he had a good game against the preds but spends way too much time in the box. League leader maybe. Not stoked about that. 

10 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Wow people get really pumped after one good game eh. 

actually I have liked his game  - and not just the last one - he has good hustle,  follows through on his checks, fights for the puck and has a pretty decent shot - but then that is just my opinion

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t know who the big guy is, but if he’s watching out for that little guy, he’s cool in my books.  

Just some guy who got big from his mugshot (big neck), now using it for fame and publicity. Pretty much a meme.

Archived