The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preppers

You Mad Bro?

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Where I live it is not uncommon for the power to go out for 3-4 days, so I have a back up generator. It's a bit small and only gas powered but it is enough to keep the fridge and freezer cold.

4 or 5 camp stove size propane bottles for cooking and multiple flashlights, candles and re chargeable batteries. Battery operated and  hand cranking radio.

First aid kits, fishing gear.

48 bottles(500ml) of water, even though my water supply is gravity fed, no pump required.

Lots of deer and fish within 1/2 mile of home.

About 3 weeks of canned food and rice. Some seeds for next years garden.

Almost looking forward to the collapse, except I'd miss the hell out of the stereo.

Just buy an inverter and a trickle charger then go around and loot batteries.

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Where I live it is not uncommon for the power to go out for 3-4 days, so I have a back up generator. It's a bit small and only gas powered but it is enough to keep the fridge and freezer cold.

4 or 5 camp stove size propane bottles for cooking and multiple flashlights, candles and re chargeable batteries. Battery operated and  hand cranking radio.

First aid kits, fishing gear.

48 bottles(500ml) of water, even though my water supply is gravity fed, no pump required.

Lots of deer and fish within 1/2 mile of home.

About 3 weeks of canned food and rice. Some seeds for next years garden.

Almost looking forward to the collapse, except I'd miss the hell out of the stereo.

Same here....got all the camping gear and stoves if necessary along with a BBQ.  

As for music...I play guitar so we always have that if it gets bad:lol:

Also, my amp is battery powered so I can always switch my generator from the freezer/fridge to play music for periods of time.  

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Also, my amp is battery powered so I can always switch my generator from the freezer/fridge to play music for periods of time.  

I used to play the trombone, not a sexy instrument, and sold a long, long time ago.

Too many pieces of stereo equipment for just one genny. I'd need to remove 4 amps from the system and only one source at a time.

I have a cache of guns and ammo I use for "hunting". I figured I can get all the supplies  I need from the "preppers" who packed everything but "protection". :lol:

Seriously though, I also have a camper trailer which I will use to get as far away from the city as I can. I will do the "hunting and gathering thing" until the "threat" is over whatever that may be.

For earthquakes and the like, it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least keep the freezer full, have extra water(bottled) and maybe have extra fuel on hand if need be. Oh and a portable genny would be helpful.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

I used to play the trombone, not a sexy instrument, and sold a long, long time ago.

Too many pieces of stereo equipment for just one genny. I'd need to remove 4 amps from the system and only one source at a time.

Me too! Trombone in a school big band.  Sold it years ago as well...never went over too well at campfire singalongs. Haha

53 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Alf has an old 1950s atomic bomb shelter that's he's fully restored.  All of you are invited in case the unthinkable happens (except Leaffans unless they bring a cat).

Any disaster will have lots of stray cats.  Alf will be just fine.  :frantic:  if he can keep his scooter charged. :picard:

3 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Same here....got all the camping gear and stoves if necessary along with a BBQ.  

If all you know how to play is “American Pie”. I’ll kill and eat you first.

I've heard interviews where experts say it only takes about 72 hrs for absolute mayhem/SHTF

That is, essentially, no bread/grub on the supermarket shelves. At that point, suspect one would much rather be a farmer in the valley, & NOT a city-slicker.

If we ever get to the stage of shooting the big bombs at one another, & all Hell breaks loose? I've got only 1 item I'll need. Don't think I'll share more on that info...

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am so fat  i can live for months with no food.....    and i have so much beer stocked up as my Son in Law  can not be counted on for bring any over when he visits.....

@kingofsurrey you live in Surrey, so you are clearly one tough son of a gun, who has multiple firearms.  :shock:  

I was watching lots of those prepping shows on Netflix a few years back... so I started to prep a bit. 

My wife and I have bug-out bags.  Extra blankets, plastic bags, compact shovel, lots of candles,matches, emergency radio/flashlight, bottled water, micro stove, sporks, some emergency rations, toilet paper, those metal sheet for warmth/tent, survival knives.  And we may (or may not) have a gun with ammo ;)

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@kingofsurrey you live in Surrey, so you are clearly one tough son of a gun, who has multiple firearms.  :shock:  

When i was 16 years old.... my dad proudly handed down to me his 12 gauge.    Yes, in my family we were raised around guns....

Mostly for duck hunting....       

Tough now that is hard to say... all depends who you face off against....  Yes i played rugby for 20 years from Youth to Men's  Prem division and also  UBC as well as  ice hockey from Bantam Rep to  Mens Beer league....   

I see toughness now as those  athletes / people that can play / work through injuries / pain.    Those are  " tough " people.  They have no quit in them.

Archived