The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Dec. 09, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

Always nice to watch your team get all the bounces around the net

blues have some good players but none push the pace. They are the 2014 version of the Canucks.

old, slow and resisting the inevitable rebuild. They could turn that team around so fast with the haul they could get for pietrangelo, Tarasenko, oreilly, schenn, parayko or edmundson. 

They would easily get a 1st rounder for each of those guys +++ whatever else

I'm generally pretty positive about the Canucks and optimistic about the future.  Still, I think we should not get too excited about today's game.

• The Blues weren't really on their game, especially goal tending.
  • We got some good bounces that resulted in lucky goals.
  • Markstromm was either really good or really lucky.  I'm going to optimistically say he just had a good game and he's got some more in him.
  • We're only short two starters now.

So this is what happens when we play a bottom dwelling team when they have a bad game and almost everything goes our way.  My initial reaction was to jump off my couch and shout "THE CUP IS OURS" at the top of my lungs, but now that I've had a few rum and cokes, reality is setting in and I realise that, while Bo, Brock and Petey are a great start to our new core, we're probably not cup contenders quite yet.  If we look at the pre-season predictions many of us were making, the script is being followed pretty accurately.  Strong out of the gate, winning early when healthy, but dropping a lot in the standings when injuries pile up.  Sure, this was a lot of injuries even for the Canucks, but for whatever reason, this is the way things go in Vancouver.  I think we'll probably miss the playoffs (7-3 odds imho) but not by a lot.  If that happened and we won in the draft lottery, it might be time to start gathering up supplies for the parade.

Until then, I'll enjoy every game like this we are blessed with.  In Petey we trust.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Lot of the times, they are not even asking questions.

"It's hard to get 5 points in the NHL." That's a statement, not a question. How should anyone respond to that? These media members aren't really reporters in the traditional sense, at least they don't look like they received proper training to be reporters. 

"Does getting five points make you want to go back to Sweden?".    Surprised that one didn't show up.

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

I love how Petey literally never looks excited, even when he has an unreal five-point game. What a pro.

My fear is that he's had many of them before this, lol. 

He does need people who can play close enough to his level to allow for playmaking and opening up the ice.  He's not quite Mario yet.  More like Gretzky or even Crosby. 

11 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I'm generally pretty positive about the Canucks and optimistic about the future.  Still, I think we should not get too excited about today's game.

• The Blues weren't really on their game, especially goal tending.
  • We got some good bounces that resulted in lucky goals.
  • Markstromm was either really good or really lucky.  I'm going to optimistically say he just had a good game and he's got some more in him.
  • We're only short two starters now.

So this is what happens when we play a bottom dwelling team when they have a bad game and almost everything goes our way.  My initial reaction was to jump off my couch and shout "THE CUP IS OURS" at the top of my lungs, but now that I've had a few rum and cokes, reality is setting in and I realise that, while Bo, Brock and Petey are a great start to our new core, we're probably not cup contenders quite yet.  If we look at the pre-season predictions many of us were making, the script is being followed pretty accurately.  Strong out of the gate, winning early when healthy, but dropping a lot in the standings when injuries pile up.  Sure, this was a lot of injuries even for the Canucks, but for whatever reason, this is the way things go in Vancouver.  I think we'll probably miss the playoffs (7-3 odds imho) but not by a lot.  If that happened and we won in the draft lottery, it might be time to start gathering up supplies for the parade.

Until then, I'll enjoy every game like this we are blessed with.  In Petey we trust.

I honestly can't do this....not be excited because someone's waiting in the wings to do an "aha, see???  proven wrong" at the end of it all.  I don't care about that.

I watch hockey TO be excited and entertained...on a game by game basis.  And, for as many we've had to walk away with a loss because that shot by Brock hit a crossbar rather than going in, I'm going to celebrate the ones that we do (for whatever reason) win.

This was a great performance and if you take away anything other than that, you may be doing it wrong.  Analyzing rather than celebrating seems a little pointless to me. 

Sure, we likely will finish around the middle.  But I am seeing a team that's starting to really gel and have some fun.  I'm joining in with that, rather than waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It seems some would rather hold their breath because it won't last.  It's suffocating.  I like the breath of fresh air that this team is when they win (and even, for me, when they lose).

Also:  it's Markstrom.

14 minutes ago, billabong said:

Always nice to watch your team get all the bounces around the net

blues have some good players but none push the pace. They are the 2014 version of the Canucks.

old, slow and resisting the inevitable rebuild. They could turn that team around so fast with the haul they could get for pietrangelo, Tarasenko, oreilly, schenn, parayko or edmundson. 

They would easily get a 1st rounder for each of those guys +++ whatever else

how are the blues old... tarasenko is 26, newly added schenn is 27, newly added o reilly is 27, parayako is 25, pietrangelo is 28. 

people on here just post without using their brain most of the time, seriously. 

Big boys cleaned house today, loved Leivo's net front presence, hopefully he can be an answer to the left wing position next to Pettersson.

Granlund brutal on the pk again but, luckily, Blues didn't score on his screw ups. Get him out of there.

Signing a winger for Horvat should be a priority in the offseason. If we can get Mark Stone that would be amazing but a huge long shot and expensive.

Just now, Duodenum said:

Big boys cleaned house today, loved Leivo's net front presence, hopefully he can be an answer to the left wing position next to Pettersson.

Granlund brutal on the pk again but, luckily, Blues didn't score on his screw ups. Get him out of there.

Signing a winger for Horvat should be a priority in the offseason. If we can get Mark Stone that would be amazing but a huge long shot and expensive.

Love Stone, but we have Jake, so don’t need Stone.  Rather we get EK.  

Archived