The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts about Canucks defence for 2019-20 season

canuckistani

12 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Hughes will be our best dman next year, and its now or never for OJ plus he will probably get time at the end of the year

Um, why is it now or never for OJ ? 
Juolevi was drafted in 2016. Two years ago.

Duncan Keith, a norris trophy winner, was drafted in 2002 and didn't play in the NHL till 2005-06 season. Ie, debuted in NHL in his D+4 year.

Alec Martinez was drafted in 2007, didn't play more than 7 games in the NHL till the 2010-11 season. 

Defencemen taking 3-4 years after their draft to make it, is not a big deal. 

4 hours ago, canuckistani said:

You guys are not getting my point. We all hope for the above, even management hopes for the above. But NO MANAGEMENT goes into the opening night with 2 rookies making up vital roster spots. None, nada, zip.  So lets talk about who the other six defencemen will be - one or two of whom HOPEFULLY will be pushed out by  QH or OJ during the season. 

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Having rookies in opening day roster does not mean that they don't have enough experienced people to COVER for the rookies. 
Its a very simple argument, really. 
On opening day rosters, hardly ANY team goes with less than 20 non-rookies. This is why there is so much waiving done, when the rookies who are able to stick push out the non-rookies. And those that don't go through the waiver-exempt process. 

My argument is geared towards the OPENING DAY ROSTER.

Well a half dozen teams did it this year alone, if we have to guns to do it then great, if not it’s not the end of the world either.  I get that we don’t want to lose anyone to waivers that could possibly be traded, Ive been a strong advocate of trading Sutter this TDL since the start of the season given he’s one guy that wouldn’t clear and had interest last deadline.  The Leipsic, Gagners of the world don’t matter if a rookie beats them out...I do get the OP discussion about the left side next season, I believe Hughes will play this year and stick, OJ sometime next year.

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Duncan Keith, a norris trophy winner, was drafted in 2002 and didn't play in the NHL till 2005-06 season. Ie, debuted in NHL in his D+4 year.

Alec Martinez was drafted in 2007, didn't play more than 7 games in the NHL till the 2010-11 season. 

Shhhhh logic has no place here! OJ is a bust! 

I think that Benning has shown in the past with Boeser and with EP that he's not going to assume that they just slot into the line up.  There were veteran players available to play the roles that the filled.  Now, Boeser did not play in the first 2 games of his rookie season despite having a good showing in the final few games the year before.  He very quickly showed that he belonged.  Same goes with EP, he showed in camp that he should start on opening night but staying in the line up was never a given.  So Benning's past record proves the OP's point.  Whatever goes on with other teams is not really relevant.

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

There was another poster here that also mentioned that Morrissey and Chabot also took a few years before taking the next step as well.

5 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Call me conservative, but I don't want to go into opening night with two rookies on the back end.

For this reason I think OJ gets at least 10 games if not 20 games starting in February once management figures out the Canucks are eliminated.

I know people won't like this but I'd dump Stecher. I don't know if Hughes plays the same side but with Hughes in the lineup I think Stecher is redundant.

I think this. And probably what happens in the off season, whilst not depending on it, will go someway to how they plan for next season. 

Archived