The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria Councillor Wants to Get Rid of Christmas Decorations With Christian Ties

DonLever

I have never been Christian, nor will I ever be Christian. Yet I have never missed a Christmas, it's a big part of Canadian culture (Christian roots aside). I think what Ben is missing here, is what Christmas really means to Canadians, not just Christians. I also think what Ben is doing here, trying to get rid of what he sees as religious symbols that are not his own under the guise of trying to save tax dollars, is deplorable. I hope that he gets called out on it and they move forward with Victoria/Canadian Christmas tradition. Merry Christmas everybody.

Amirite? or Isitt wrong?

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

I kinda get where he's coming from but he's gone about it in such a way that he just comes off as a villain. 

My hometown had a big Christmas tree they lit up downtown every year...they also had a giant menorah that they lit for Hanukkah as well. Seemed like a nice balance: promoting multiple religious holidays rather than trying to hide one. 

The thing is is that a tree has no connection to Christianity other than someone made a cross out of one and crucified Jesus on it.

10 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

I for one am tired of inclusivity. How many other nations are this worried about offending anyone and everyone?

As a heterosexual white male, born and raised a catholic, I have never felt so excluded; and it's only going to get worse.

interesting, what do you feel excluded from? what have you actually been excluded from? 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's the thing -- they're "Christ Mass" symbols, but certainly not Christian.  He'd more accurately have said, "These are symbols of paganistic belief, and we need separation of that religion from government."

The big irony of it all:  the world loves Christmas, and HATES Jesus.

I get the sense that people don't even have too much issue with Jesus. 

It's more the douche-y Christians.

(I'm actually a Christian, I just try to go as easy as possible on the douche-y part)

3 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

I for one am tired of inclusivity. How many other nations are this worried about offending anyone and everyone?

As a heterosexual white male, born and raised a catholic, I have never felt so excluded; and it's only going to get worse.

I hear you, Riveria. I seem to remember growing up in East Vancouver amongst all different shades of folks with little to no issue. We all took care of our neighborhoods together and didn't need anyone to remind us to be respectful or compassionate to each other.

Not sure what changed.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting, what do you feel excluded from? what have you actually been excluded from? 

Well maybe I'm right out of whack, but in Canada it's starting to seem like people with all the traits like myself are becoming a minority. It seems like nowadays everything is done to please everyone but me.

I'm all for separation of Church from State. I think if Montreal is banning religious symbols, they should remove the cross too.

That said, why do we have to ban/remove holiday celebrations? instead, why don't we have a big potpourri of all the celebrations? put up your candles, your tress, your Festivus poles..whatever.

I love it when someone says happy Hanukkah to me, I'm not Jewish but they are, and they are celebrating their holiday. Like when I say Merry Christmas, I don't know if you celebrate it, but I do...so I'm gonna say it.

As, many have pointed out Christmas isn't about religion for a lot of us. It is more about getting gifts and fighting with family than celebrating the birth of a sky fairy. 

5 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Well maybe I'm right out of whack, but in Canada it's starting to seem like people with all the traits like myself are becoming a minority. It seems like nowadays everything is done to please everyone but me

...is that so bad? What's wrong with "people with all the traits like [you]" being in the minority for once? 

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

I didn’t realize trees, poinsettias and lights were Christian symbols.

They're actually pagan symbols which celebrated the winter solstice, to ward off bad spirits through the darkest days, and the return of the sun.

Christianity just adopted / stole those symbols.

Isitt's commentary is divisive, his crusade is entirely misguided IMO. I appreciate the separation of church and state, however it's not like Victoria is adorned with crucifixes and images of Mary. 

I'm not Christian but I really enjoy the spirit of Christmas . The lights, the cheer, being kind, giving to those in need, reflecting on the year that was and looking forward to the year that will be. I'd be fine with compromise, let's decorate the big Sequoia with hundreds of menorah's and quarter moons with a big ass goat skull right on top.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

They're actually pagan symbols which celebrated the winter solstice, to ward off bad spirits through the darkest days, and the return of the sun.

Isitt's commentary is divisive, his crusade is entirely misguided IMO. I appreciate the separation of church and state, however it's not like Victoria is adorned with crucifixes and images of Mary. 

I'm not Christian but I really enjoy the spirit of Christmas . The lights, the cheer, being kind, giving to those in need, reflecting on the year that was and looking forward to the year that will be. I'd be fine with compromise, let's decorate the big Sequoia with hundreds of menorah's and quarter moons with a big ass goat skull right on top.

I'm in thanks to that closing suggestion.

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'm not religious in the slightest, but Ben, there are much better things you could be doing in Victoria than championing this crap. You're wasting tax dollars in the form of a salary whining about this. Oh, and you're an idiot - end of story. 

oh come on

time for a new cabinet position / portfolio

to deal with this major issue

"minister for festive decorating"

give that posting a huge budget

as there will be so many events that need decorating

:wub:

18 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

...is that so bad? What's wrong with "people with all the traits like [you]" being in the minority for once? 

Because once upon a time people like myself were the majority. Now our once great nation is totally ass-backwards and I dont like it and never will.

11 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Because once upon a time people like myself were the majority. Now our once great nation is totally ass-backwards and I dont like it and never will.

You sound like some of my First Nations friends.

I understand you probably mean 'in my lifetime' and the atrocities committed to the Indigenous population is while back. But, not that long ago that the affects don't still linger.

Not saying you don't have a point of view and I respect your opinion. Just mentioning that things are relative given one's perspective.

50 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Well maybe I'm right out of whack, but in Canada it's starting to seem like people with all the traits like myself are becoming a minority. It seems like nowadays everything is done to please everyone but me.

well, that could be because other groups didn't have quite the same access to things you and I did, and maybe things are just coming more in to balance. Not trying to pick on you, but I see people post this a lot, it seems like more of a feeling than any actual changes in peoples lives.

This tree thing is dumb tho, even the Muslim councillor thinks so. 

43 minutes ago, luckylager said:

So you mean by putting up a Christmas tree, pagans are making the holidays great again? 

Archived