The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Everyone in St. Louis is available

The_Rocket

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Edler is not going to waive his NTC, I'm not sure why people are still going to that well

I agree.  However, if we are going to resign one of them to more term, which one would be best?  It's a tough choice.  I would go for keeping Tanev, but Edler is bigger and provides far more offence.  

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

they won't be able to afford the players they've got, let alone adding another highly paid player

The rumours have been Zaitsev+ for a better RHD. Parayko makes only a million more than Zaitsev, and for 4 more years.

...But it's going to have to be a helluva "+" for St. Louis to consider that.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

The rumours have been Zaitsev+ for a better RHD. Parayko makes only a million more than Zaitsev, and for 4 more years.

Matthews or Marner would be the plus.  

Do they have a younger dman that can actually hit the net with a real slap shot and make a tape to tape pass. That’s who we want. 

Canucks need to focus on getting better dman, I’m not a believer in oj(sorry if that offends you) and Hughes is full of skill but is a coule years away and I i don’t think he’s got a acary point shot. 

Currently not worried about losing any of our dman to expansion. 

1 minute ago, combover said:

Do they have a younger dman that can actually hit the net with a real slap shot and make a tape to tape pass. That’s who we want. 

Canucks need to focus on getting better dman, I’m not a believer in oj(sorry if that offends you) and Hughes is full of skill but is a coule years away and I i don’t think he’s got a acary point shot. 

Currently not worried about losing any of our dman to expansion. 

If we could get Vince Dunn, that would be a good move.  Maybe a guy like Goldy and a second gets us Dunn?

32 minutes ago, D-Money said:

For Parayko I highly doubt Zaitsev would even be the main piece in a trade. Guy has 2 points in 32 games. Chris "Please retain cap" Tanev has twice as many points in 3 fewer games while being a better defensive player.

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

For Parayko I highly doubt Zaitsev would even be the main piece in a trade. Guy has 2 points in 32 games. Chris "Please retain cap" Tanev has twice as many points in 3 fewer games while being a better defensive player.

I didn't say Zaitsev would be the "main piece", just that he'd be involved to create the cap room.

Tanev is easily a superior player at this point, however, he's not what St. Louis is looking for. They want to rebuild. Tanev is 29 next week, and 1.5 years from UFA. Zaitsev is 27, and under team control for another 5.5 years. And although Zaitsev isn't producing offense in his current role on the Leafs, he has done it in the past - his 36 points in his rookie season are nearly double Tanev's career high (20).

Add in Tanev's injury history, and Zaitsev's lack of it, and it should be easy to see why St. Louis would be more interested in Zaitsev than 1.5 years of Tanev.

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we could get Vince Dunn, that would be a good move.  Maybe a guy like Goldy and a second gets us Dunn?

St. Louis will almost certainly be looking to shed older players, and build around young guys like Thomas, Kyrou, and Dunn.

They may be willing to listen to offers on anyone, but a guy like Dunn will only be traded for an overpayment.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

I didn't say Zaitsev would be the "main piece", just that he'd be involved to create the cap room.

Tanev is easily a superior player at this point, however, he's not what St. Louis is looking for. They want to rebuild. Tanev is 29 next week, and 1.5 years from UFA. Zaitsev is 27, and under team control for another 5.5 years. And although Zaitsev isn't producing offense in his current role on the Leafs, he has done it in the past - his 36 points in his rookie season are nearly double Tanev's career high (20).

Add in Tanev's injury history, and Zaitsev's lack of it, and it should be easy to see why St. Louis would be more interested in Zaitsev than 1.5 years of Tanev.

The fact anyone has "interest" in Zaitsev while Vancouver apparently needs to retain cap on Tanev is a joke. 

Just now, N7Nucks said:

The fact anyone has "interest" in Zaitsev while Vancouver apparently needs to retain cap on Tanev is a joke. 

They'd have interest from 2 opposite types of teams.

Zaitsev is struggling this season, but has shown upside in the past. There's reason to believe that he could regain some of that and be a solid #4/5 D-man for the next few years. And he obviously must fit in with a young dressing room, as Toronto liked him right away. So a younger team that is rebuilding could be interested in him, and hoping to "buy low".

On the other hand, a team looking to win right now would be much more interested in Tanev. However, these teams often have tighter cap situations, and would pay a premium to get a player with retention. Although we wouldn't NEED to retain cap on Tanev, doing so would be a way to maximize our return.

To illustrate the difference in value, I bet Toronto would trade us Zaitsev, their 2019 1st, and likely an additional "B" prospect for Tanev with 50% retention. It gives them a big boost, because Tanev right now is obviously the better player. And although the Leafs don't need cap space this year, Tanev's retention will help them next year, when things will be much tighter. For Vancouver, Zaitsev fills in for the loss of Tanev, and he is probably a better RH PP D-man than anyone else on the team. And he's far less injury-prone than Tanev (and Gudbranson, for that matter), so at least he'll stabilize the position. (And maybe as a bonus he'll help convince his World Championship teammate with the same first name to come back and play with him after next season.)

However, for a team that knows it won't win anything this year or next (as St. Louis probably realizes), adding the older, injury-prone, and soon-to-be-UFA Tanev doesn't hold as much value.

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

They'd have interest from 2 opposite types of teams.

Zaitsev is struggling this season, but has shown upside in the past. There's reason to believe that he could regain some of that and be a solid #4/5 D-man for the next few years. And he obviously must fit in with a young dressing room, as Toronto liked him right away. So a younger team that is rebuilding could be interested in him, and hoping to "buy low".

On the other hand, a team looking to win right now would be much more interested in Tanev. However, these teams often have tighter cap situations, and would pay a premium to get a player with retention. Although we wouldn't NEED to retain cap on Tanev, doing so would be a way to maximize our return.

To illustrate the difference in value, I bet Toronto would trade us Zaitsev, their 2019 1st, and likely an additional "B" prospect for Tanev with 50% retention. It gives them a big boost, because Tanev right now is obviously the better player. And although the Leafs don't need cap space this year, Tanev's retention will help them next year, when things will be much tighter. For Vancouver, Zaitsev fills in for the loss of Tanev, and he is probably a better RH PP D-man than anyone else on the team. And he's far less injury-prone than Tanev (and Gudbranson, for that matter), so at least he'll stabilize the position. (And maybe as a bonus he'll help convince his World Championship teammate with the same first name to come back and play with him after next season.)

However, for a team that knows it won't win anything this year or next (as St. Louis probably realizes), adding the older, injury-prone, and soon-to-be-UFA Tanev doesn't hold as much value.

Zaitsev was horrible last season too.  Guy is terrible.  Any rumors that there is interest in him are started by the puppets who allow the Leaf's propaganda machine to use them as their *******.   Leafs would love to have Tanev, but they have nothing (that's a fair trade) we want back.  (Marner, Matthews, Reilly)  

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because its not impossible. There's a chance they do a handshake deal where Jim agrees to re-sign him as a free agent if he waives. Otherwise he has to find a new team and city for sure. 

I disagree, Edler will, almost certainly, be back.  Hopefully they transition him out of pp time, but he, clearly imo, carries the d-corp.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zaitsev was horrible last season too.  Guy is terrible.  Any rumors that there is interest in him are started by the puppets who allow the Leaf's propaganda machine to use them as their *******.   Leafs would love to have Tanev, but they have nothing (that's a fair trade) we want back.  (Marner, Matthews, Reilly)  

Now you're just being dumb.

Rasmus Sandin looks fantastic. Carl Grundstrom is solid. And they still have all their picks for the next 3 years - except their 2019 6th - plus another 4 picks from other teams.

48 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Zaitsev is the guy you pay other teams to take

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Now you're just being dumb.

Rasmus Sandin looks fantastic. Carl Grundstrom is solid. And they still have all their picks for the next 3 years - except their 2019 6th - plus another 4 picks from other teams.

Not dumb, but a Canuck's fan.  We don't want anything from the Loser Leafs, except Marner, Matthews, and Reilly, and we can't get those for Tanev.  

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Edler is not going to waive his NTC, I'm not sure why people are still going to that well

You have literally nothing to base that on.

He could well be open to being loved at the deadline.  If he knows we don’t plan on signing him anyways it lets him pick a landing spot to try out for a few weeks before UFA.

If we do say we plan on re-signing him, he may be fine leaving for a few weeks in order to go into the playoffs and/or help the team. 

He could also consider that a good playoff performance would dramatically increase his UFA value.

Lots of possibilities and he has never said he would refuse a trade.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

You have literally nothing to base that on.

He could well be open to being loved at the deadline.  If he knows we don’t plan on signing him anyways it lets him pick a landing spot to try out for a few weeks before UFA.

If we do say we plan on re-signing him, he may be fine leaving for a few weeks in order to go into the playoffs and/or help the team. 

He could also consider that a good playoff performance would dramatically increase his UFA value.

Lots of possibilities and he has never said he would refuse a trade.

he has said, many times over, that he will not waive and JB has said he will not ask him too

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I disagree, Edler will, almost certainly, be back.  Hopefully they transition him out of pp time, but he, clearly imo, carries the d-corp.

I'd be fine with a reasonable extension, maybe 2 years, I'm really more concerned over term than money for him. 

Archived