The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Everyone in St. Louis is available

The_Rocket

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I still don't see the fit.

I'd rather see an RFA than an expiring 29 yr old that doesn't fit on our blueline unless you sit Stecher (or play him on his off side).

I'd also rather see one of the young skating, play-driving young D presently here remain here even if he's CDC's most infamous.

But maybe we could have our own in-house scrap - Bortuzzo vs Roussel 2.0.

If Tanev is moving, perhaps Bortuzzo makes sense - but I doubt that Tanev is moving.

Some players are in that doghouse for a reason though and it's not just because of CDC being CDC. I would love for him to improve and help drive the play but, considering there's a prospect called Quentin Hughes knocking on the door, his window of opportunity to prove himself only gets smaller.

I don't know if I care about Bortuzzo either mind you, but Pouliot I can definately see as potential trade bait or even getting waived eventually. We can't wait on these players to improve forever and there's a point where it's wiser to cut our loses and give that window to another prospect.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Getting any of their top dogs will surely cost us one/some of Juolevi, Dahlen, Lind, Demko, Hughes, Woo or our first rounder. Parayko/Pietrangelo would be massive though. Rumor has it St Louis offered Pietrangelo for Nylander. So the price is pretty high.

I think it was Pietrangelo for Nylander plus. The plus was the sticking point. Dubas should be fired if he turned down Pietrangelo for Nylander straight across. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I think it was Pietrangelo for Nylander plus. The plus was the sticking point. Dubas should be fired if he turned down Pietrangelo for Nylander straight across. 

I never heard that it was Willy plus. I just heard Friedman say a Pietrangelo/Nylander deal was turned down cause of the age difference. 

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I never heard that it was Willy plus. I just heard Friedman say a Pietrangelo/Nylander deal was turned down cause of the age difference. 

I remember that. NHL Network reported StLouis wanting more. Maybe I'm out to lunch but with TO's need to get a right shot D you would think they would of been all over that. Piet is a Norris calibre righty that still has a minimum 4 to 5 years of good hockey left in him with a current, two year, low cap hit.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

And I just realized that Schenn also has only one year of term remaining.......so it's fairly hard to find a piece there that makes sense, let alone both ways.

I guess people need to first figure out whats wrong with STL before we even know if there's a hole the Canucks can fill. Other than high picks I don't really know what we can offer. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't do that but thats the only thing I see right now that they might want from us that we could potentially give up.

Parayko could be a nice addition but are we really ready to start giving up 1st rounders? If we had better goal tending maybe.

27 minutes ago, rekker said:

I remember that. NHL Network reported StLouis wanting more. Maybe I'm out to lunch but with TO's need to get a right shot D you would think they would of been all over that. Piet is a Norris calibre righty that still has a minimum 4 to 5 years of good hockey left in him with a current, two year, low cap hit.

Imagine the two year deal was a dealbreaker too. He might break bank or leave when this deal is up. Either scenario is no bueno. 

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Imagine the two year deal was a dealbreaker too. He might break bank or leave when this deal is up. Either scenario is no bueno. 

Ya could be. Maybe the deal would make more sense this summer when Pietrangelo can be extended. 

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ya could be. Maybe the deal would make more sense this summer when Pietrangelo can be extended. 

Maybe, that trade would for sure have to wait until after they see what Matthews and Marner are gonna make. They don't want to lose Rielly because they picked up Pietrangelo for instance. Pietrangelo is for sure everything Toronto needs in a D-man. I agree, if they turned down a Nylander for Pietrangelo straight up they are very foolish. Honestly something tells me they may be leaning more towards Parayko though. 3 years after this year at 5.5 mil, he's only 25, eats roughly 22 minutes a night. Essentially a Pietrangelo lite.

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

If the team wants a big right-handed shot from the point for the PP, a stable guy for the lefties coming up or more physicality, I'd say he's the guy.  Biega plays bigger than he looks but he simply isn't the presence that a 6'4" guy like Robert would be, plus Pouliot's too risky of a guy for my liking.  

Biega is in the press box - and is debatable whether Bortuzzo is an upgrade (there's more to the game than size) -  so this proposal is to deal an RFA on what is presently the weaker side of the blueline for a UFA to sit in the press box at best, 4/5 RHD.

Not convincing.

11 hours ago, The Lock said:

Some players are in that doghouse for a reason though and it's not just because of CDC being CDC. I would love for him to improve and help drive the play but, considering there's a prospect called Quentin Hughes knocking on the door, his window of opportunity to prove himself only gets smaller.

I don't know if I care about Bortuzzo either mind you, but Pouliot I can definately see as potential trade bait or even getting waived eventually. We can't wait on these players to improve forever and there's a point where it's wiser to cut our loses and give that window to another prospect.

not invalid points but still does not make relative sense - relative to the player being proposed as an alternative.

Keep Pouliot - forget Bortuzzo.

Pouliot is the #3LHD on this team right now.

If you're going to shop him - or dump MDZ - for an expiring contract, there's no point adding a RHD when a LHD would be a greater short term need.

And whether people like Pouliot or not - or dwell on errors - there is the underlying fact that this team scores more at even strength with him on the ice than any other defenseman - he leads the blueline in on ice goals for per 60.

This team has apt shutdown D in Tanev, Edler, Gud and Hutton -there's no need for a 4/5 defensive RHD.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess people need to first figure out whats wrong with STL before we even know if there's a hole the Canucks can fill. Other than high picks I don't really know what we can offer. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't do that but thats the only thing I see right now that they might want from us that we could potentially give up.

Parayko could be a nice addition but are we really ready to start giving up 1st rounders? If we had better goal tending maybe.

Exactly.  And when you have a paper tiger like that, you'd think the first thing to look at is coaching.  They fired Yeo, but did they 'solve' that with Craig Berube? 

That's the question I'd ask before disassembling that roster.

I suspect however that this may be more a warning shot over the players - with maybe a move or two - than it is foreboding a whole flurry of trades....

19 hours ago, nowhereman said:

Parayko would be the dream but I doubt we have the kind of pieces that it would take/that we would be willing to give up. The main core is untouchable and I doubt anyone outside it can move the needle.

Agreed.

Parayko would be a big time acquisition for our blue line, but the price would be steep, if he's even available.

One strength we do have, is on the wing. There is going to be a lot of competition in the near future for those spots.

One I've always viewed as expendable is Goldy. 

Honestly, I have no logical reason why I view him this way. He seems to be coming out of his shell and is starting to understand the complete game of hockey, and still has more to offer, but for whatever reason he, far from, inspires my viewing of games. I'm not excited to see what he does next. Even when he scores I'm kind of, meh.

Something around Goldy for Parayko wouldn't hurt my feelings. I'd be willing to add a non-first pick if it got the deal done.

15 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I would easily trade Juolevi, Tanev, plus (non 1st rounder this year) for Pietrangelo. He'll be 29 in the middle of January but he is the type of player to have a lengthy and productive career. He has 1 more year at $6.5M and it will be worth it to extend him at John Carlson/Victor Hedman type of money (for reference, Carlson signed an 8 year $64M contract which will take him to age 36; Hedman signed an 8 year $63M contract which will take him to age 34). Pietrangelo at $8M/year for 6 or 7 years with a front-loaded contract would make our defense significantly better moving forward. We would have a bona-fide #1 defenseman to mentor Quinn Hughes AND we could use our 1st rounder this year to draft Bowen Byram, Cam York, or Philip Broberg.

You would.

I think you're nuts. We're not a buyer. We don't need 1 & 1/2 years of Pietrangelo. Look at Karlsson. He hasn't signed in SJ yet. Even at reduced prices. What they paid is a big hit if they don't win a cup. 

And dare I say it? We wont win a cup this year or next by making that trade.

Not that your value is out on what it might take? Just we are not at the point in our life cycle to sell Juolevi and a high pick.

In the summer of 2020 I would be all in with a bid on him UFA. Which is also about the time we start really pressing & a guy like him becomes a good investment.

Archived