The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Datsyuk under rated?

Gator

Happened to stumble across this while watching Pettersson clips. I know he's a great player but I never consider him among the best like the Gretzky's, Orr's,  and Bure's. After watching this can you not make that argument? Those dekes are a whole lot of filthy and I couldn't even pull it off in NHL19 lol. I think he's arguably the best puck handler in NHL history, deffiently top 5

Hopefully Pettersson can bring us some exciting highlights like these :)

I would say he is underrated for the simple fact that he was on those stacked wings teams of the early-mid 2000s. We are talking about one of the best defensive forwards AND puck handlers of all time. You very rarely get players who excel at both facets of the game in the way that Datsyuk did. Mind you I am biased as Pavel is probably my favourite non Canuck of all time.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He had a lot of skill, but his numbers, while impressive, weren't out of this world.

Came into the league in the heart of the dead puck era. Almost PPG player, 3x Selke winner, +249 career.

Like the Sedins, after the lockout with the refs calling everything really tight, and the red line change, he reallllly took off offensively.

Nope not over rated.

We just didn't get to see a lot of him in the Vancouver market.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Brock Botanen said:

Happened to stumble across this while watching Pettersson clips. I know he's a great player but I never consider him among the best like the Gretzky's, Orr's,  and Bure's. After watching this can you not make that argument? Those dekes are a whole lot of filthy and I couldn't even pull it off in NHL19 lol. I think he's arguably the best puck handler in NHL history, deffiently top 5

Hopefully Pettersson can bring us some exciting highlights like these :)

What ever gave you the impression he was under rated? 

Datsyuk was one of the most dominant centers in the league and everyone knows about his dominance. He can put up a ton of points while playing tremendous defence. He can score 97 points on a year he wins the Selke. This guy is Mr. everything. Coaches dream to have a guy like him on the roster. So i would say no, he is not under rated because he is widely known as one of the best players in the league in his prime.

Archived