The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Petrus Palmu to HC TPS (Liiga)

Ossi Vaananen

45 minutes ago, xereau said:

Being small simply can not be the issue here.  He repeatedly went after the biggest guy on the ice in Penticton this fall (Stanley, 6'7" giant) on the boards.

Inconsistent ice time probably messed with his confidence. It makes sense he was just a rookie last season with TPS. Dahlen tried to start in the AHL last season and came back this year. He should be ok just needs sometime. He obviously got off on the wrong foot. 

46 minutes ago, xereau said:

Being small simply can not be the issue here.  He repeatedly went after the biggest guy on the ice in Penticton this fall (Stanley, 6'7" giant) on the boards.

I don't think anyone can fault his courage.  However it's one thing to go after someone, it's another thing to dominate them.  If he's going into board battles and not coming up with the puck or losing battles in net front presence, he may not be as effective as others and that may be in part at least due to his size, and may be in part to techniques that he needs to master.  I suppose time will tell.  

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Hopefully this does a few things for both Palmu and the rest of the Canuck prospect pool:

• Demonstrate that there are development options that go beyond the AHL
  • The AHL is an elite level professional league and if you are pretty much "nearly" NHL ready, it will eat you alive.

I think many fans can learn from the second bullet too.   I see so many people talking about the AHL as if it was akin to weekend Rec Hockey with slightly better skaters.   A line-up of the AHL all-stars could compete well in the NHL....certainly not for a playoff spot but they would be competitive.   

Not saying Palmu should be gifted a spot or that he hasn't faced adjustment problems like many euros, but Liiga where Palmu did just fine last year is also an elite level professional league, ranked by most as equal to or superior to the AHL. 

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Oh but it can.  

Being Ballsy enough to go after a big guy is one thing, being big enough to do the job is another.  

He is too small to be effective.  I’m not saying there aren’t small dudes who can’t pull it off, but at the moment, he isn’t one of those guys.  

Too small to be an effective bottom 6 guy, and didn’t provide close to enough to be in the top 6.  

Maybe next year, but I doubt it.  

9 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not saying Palmu should be gifted a spot or that he hasn't faced adjustment problems like many euros, but Liiga where Palmu did just fine last year is also an elite level professional league, ranked by most as equal to or superior to the AHL. 

I am very aware of the level of play in European leagues and agree Liiga is a high end professional league but it is not as "heavy" as the AHL nor is it quite as fast.   There is more attention to defensive zone coverage in Liiga but the best team in that league could compete well in AHL.    I don't think anyone does "rank it as superior" to the NHL though.   If you can educate me as to who does that I would be interested.    Having played, worked and lived in Europe for a lot of my adult life and followed hockey in all the major leagues over here, I know Liiga is well-respected but not even considered as the best European professional league let alone better than the AHL.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am very aware of the level of play in European leagues and agree Liiga is a high end professional league but it is not as "heavy" as the AHL nor is it quite as fast.   There is more attention to defensive zone coverage in Liiga but the best team in that league could compete well in AHL.    I don't think anyone does "rank it as superior" to the NHL though.   If you can educate me as to who does that I would be interested.    Having played, worked and lived in Europe for a lot of my adult life and followed hockey in all the major leagues over here, I know Liiga is well-respected but not even considered as the best European professional league let alone better than the AHL.

Expected points comparisons say so.

I would say that they are about equal with as you point out quite a difference in play. So I guess it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. Lots of players doing fine in KHL, SHL or Liiga doesn't fit the North American game or need time to adjust to it. The opposite is also true, lots of AHL players would never make the roster on any team in those leagues.

Regarding Palmu I think the truth - as usual lies somewhere in between - he didn't force himself on to the roster but also Cull has played A LOT of career AHL veterans instead of giving the kids a chance. I get that you need veterans in the AHL to compete and survive, but still think the balance should favour development more.

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

Expected points comparisons say so.

I would say that they are about equal with as you point out quite a difference in play. So I guess it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. Lots of players doing fine in KHL, SHL or Liiga doesn't fit the North American game or need time to adjust to it. The opposite is also true, lots of AHL players would never make the roster on any team in those leagues.

Regarding Palmu I think the truth - as usual lies somewhere in between - he didn't force himself on to the roster but also Cull has played A LOT of career AHL veterans instead of giving the kids a chance. I get that you need veterans in the AHL to compete and survive, but still think the balance should favour development more.

Cull is bound by a mix of organization needs - both development but also keeping some near NHL veterans ready for the jump when injuries or similar happen.    That is why having a range of development options is good for an organization as the AHL is great but cannot be any team's sole professional development option.  

I think the Canuck development program is now one of the best in the game when you compare it around the NHL and it light years from where it was five years or so ago.   Cull and Green seem to be very aligned.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Cull is bound by a mix of organization needs - both development but also keeping some near NHL veterans ready for the jump when injuries or similar happen.    That is why having a range of development options is good for an organization as the AHL is great but cannot be any team's sole professional development option.  

I think the Canuck development program is now one of the best in the game when you compare it around the NHL and it light years from where it was five years or so ago.   Cull and Green seem to be very aligned.

Agree that options are good. If Palmu dominates in Liiga it's a win for everybody involved and probably a good solution at this point anyhow.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Hopefully this does a few things for both Palmu and the rest of the Canuck prospect pool:

• Demonstrate that there are development options that go beyond the AHL
  • The AHL is an elite level professional league and if you are pretty much "nearly" NHL ready, it will eat you alive.

I think many fans can learn from the second bullet too.   I see so many people talking about the AHL as if it was akin to weekend Rec Hockey with slightly better skaters.   A line-up of the AHL all-stars could compete well in the NHL....certainly not for a playoff spot but they would be competitive.   

we saw that under Willie :ph34r:

sounds like this is the best move for him to improve as much as possible this season 

Archived