The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] NJD-VAN

billabong

To njd: eriksson

to van: Schneider

both have 4yrsx6m remaining on their deal

schneider can’t win a game and eriksson literally pulls over the invisible cloak every game  

where would you rather have that bad contract? One half of our goalies for the next 4 years or a guy sucking up playing time on the power play and in the top 9 forward spots

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Intriguing. I'm sure Canucks fans would accept him back with open arms, and maybe a change of familiar scenery would benefit his play? But would he be a better option over Markstrom or Nilsson? I'm not sure about that. 

If he’s worse it won’t really matter. But if he gains even half of what he was with us before he’s a big upgrade on them. Sometimes you gotta roll the dice. Not to mention freeing up a spot for actually decent forwards by removing Eriksson. Addition by subtraction there. No real risk for either side here. 

15 minutes ago, Type R said:

I like this, but does NJ have the depth to lose Schnieds?  He comes here, and I think he finds his game again.  This all said, I do like LE's defensive game.

NJ add Anaheim's 4th round pick and we send them Nilsson with Eriksson...if he would waive

Devils hang up without a response.

They may eventually decide to dump Schneider, but there is no way on earth they would trade Schneider back to Vancouver, especially for Loui. One, they aren't going to trade a goalie straight up for a forward without getting one back because their G prospect, MacKenzie Blackwood, is not ready yet for the NHL. Two and most importantly, they would be laughed at for ages if the final trade when it was all said and done was Bo Horvat for the Corpse of Loui Eriksson. No way would ownership or management let that happen and take that massive reputation hit.

23 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Devils hang up without a response.

They may eventually decide to dump Schneider, but there is no way on earth they would trade Schneider back to Vancouver, especially for Loui. One, they aren't going to trade a goalie straight up for a forward without getting one back because their G prospect, MacKenzie Blackwood, is not ready yet for the NHL. Two and most importantly, they would be laughed at for ages if the final trade when it was all said and done was Bo Horvat for the Corpse of Loui Eriksson. No way would ownership or management let that happen and take that massive reputation hit.

Pretty sure this management group had nothing to do with the Schneider trade, why would they care?

I don't see how this trade would help the Canucks or why we'd do it.

Eriksson is actually doing something, not as much as we'd like, but he is producing and... lots of those little things too.

We need forward depth more than we need a damaged vet goalie who could *maybe* turn it around.

I'm cheering for Schneids though. He came off as a very likeable guy and I really hope he can find his game again, I just don't think it should be with us. 

No thanks. Eriksson as terrible a signing as he has been still happens to be a competent NHL player and manages to contribute even if it isn't enough to justify the price tag. Schneider by the virtue of his position alone could end up being a 6M player stapled to the bench. 

A 6M 3rd liner for a 6M backup, that's about the only way you could to turn a cap dump into a boat anchor. 

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I don't see how this trade would help the Canucks or why we'd do it.

Eriksson is actually doing something, not as much as we'd like, but he is producing and... lots of those little things too.

We need forward depth more than we need a damaged vet goalie who could *maybe* turn it around.

I'm cheering for Schneids though. He came off as a very likeable guy and I really hope he can find his game again, I just don't think it should be with us. 

Get out of my head! 

:P

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pretty sure this management group had nothing to do with the Schneider trade, why would they care?

Doesn't matter. The optics don't change. They wouldn't take the hit at a personal level, but the organization would as a whole. And that does matter.

20 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Doesn't work for the Canucks.  Schneids has an NTC for his entire contract (to '21/22), which means he would have to be protected in the ED.  That means Seattle picks up Demko in a hurry!

I thought only NMC were protected for expansion?

9 hours ago, billabong said:

To njd: eriksson

to van: Schneider

both have 4yrsx6m remaining on their deal

schneider can’t win a game and eriksson literally pulls over the invisible cloak every game  

where would you rather have that bad contract? One half of our goalies for the next 4 years or a guy sucking up playing time on the power play and in the top 9 forward spots

If Schneider’s value has really fallen that much, then yeah, I would consider that.

Here’s the thing though:

31 of Eriksson’s 36 million will have been paid to him before the 2020-2021 season starts.  In other words, Eriksson’s contract should be quite easy to move to a cap floor team should the Canucks decide to go this route.  

If Eriksson doesn’t pick up his game, you can also send him to the minors at this time, and Eriksson would likely choose retire at this point (31 million will be in his pocket, and he’d likely not want to waste time riding buses).

I say we stay the course with Eriksson unless we get a terrific deal of some kind (which we won’t).

Archived