The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we go out and get a "tough guy"

VIC_CITY

Obviously the definition of tough guy isn't the same as it used to be but what would your reaction be if Pettersson got concussed again? Or Boeser, Horvat, etc.

Lucic was taking run after run tonight. Gudbranson is good for a couple fights a year but we don't really have anyone else that strikes fear in our opponents.

With guys like Reaves amd Wilson still playing significant roles in this league, do you think it's an area that needs addressing on our club?

When TO drafted Matthews, they went out and got Matt Martin, who was/is about as tough as they come, although not quite the player that he used to be. Do we need our own Matt Martin?

I think this fanbase might lose their collective minds if we see another Daniel Sedin and Duncan Keith 2.0.

So what should we do? Treat these kids like we treated the Sedins (hope they stay healthy and beat them on the PP) or pay a bit of a premium and acquire some real toughness to deter guys from taking runs at our stars. I'm leaning towards the latter.

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Obviously the definition of tough guy isn't the same as it used to be but what would your reaction be if Pettersson got concussed again? Or Boeser, Horvat, etc.

Lucic was taking run after run tonight. Gudbranson is good for a couple fights a year but we don't really have anyone else that strikes fear in our opponents.

With guys like Reaves amd Wilson still playing significant roles in this league, do you think it's an area that needs addressing on our club?

When TO drafted Matthews, they went out and got Matt Martin, who was/is about as tough as they come, although not quite the player that he used to be. Do we need our own Matt Martin?

I think this fanbase might lose their collective minds if we see another Daniel Sedin and Duncan Keith 2.0.

So what should we do? Treat these kids like we treated the Sedins (hope they stay healthy and beat them on the PP) or pay a bit of a premium and acquire some real toughness to deter guys from taking runs at our stars. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Uh, no.   I am amazed people can watch a game without actually seeing the game.   Canucks outhit the Oilers during the game.    Not sure what game you watched but Lucic was slow and ineffective.   His "runs" had little impact.   Guddy and Virtanen hit harder through the game.   Lucic had one decent hit on Motte but ended up hitting the boards more than any real impact on a player otherwise.   

There a lot of question marks when trying to do this;

First, the tough guy needs to be a hockey player capable of playing a regular shift, these are hard to come by. Case in point, Matt Martin is not playing  a lotgthese days.

Also, these guys have been known to "take over a room" and not in a good way.

One other thing, Duncan Keith is not a big man, if we had a tough guy, there is no way he would ever fight him.

Ultimately, I wouldn't pay too much or trade too much, hopefully Gadjovich will grow into a role of the modern tough guy.

10 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

eL0s8JK.png&key=7f9af00d6540f146cf4f8e2f

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not convinced that this actually works anymore.  It may have been effective when McSorley was Gretzky's bodyguard, but I don't think guys are intimidated like that anymore.

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, no.   I am amazed people can watch a game without actually seeing the game.   Canucks outhit the Oilers during the game.    Not sure what game you watched but Lucic was slow and ineffective.   His "runs" had little impact.   Guddy and Virtanen hit harder through the game.   Lucic had one decent hit on Motte but ended up hitting the boards more than any real impact on a player otherwise.   

I'm not talking about hitting as a statistic, nor am I talking about Lucic's effectiveness throughout that game. But seeing Lucic take several good runs throughout the game (even if he missed a couple of them) just got me thinking that we're one big hit away from this becoming a hot topic in this market again. I think some added size/toughness would be a good area for JB to target this summer.

20 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I'm not convinced that this actually works anymore.  It may have been effective when McSorley was Gretzky's bodyguard, but I don't think guys are intimidated like that anymore.

I don't know...seeing Reaves take out Wilson, you know how valuable he is to that Vegas team.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Chara and Thomas won them their cup.  Lucic was a non factor unless you count Hamhuis taking himself out by trying to throw a hipcheck on him.  That rat also was also a factor.

The physical advantage that they had, along with the way that series was officiated was the reason they won the Stanley Cup.

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

We have one developing.

Image result for jonah gadjovich

I hope you're right.

Utica has been such a log jam this year. I was hoping Gadj would be an every day guy in Utica this year and then challenge for a spot on the Canucks next year but it looks like we're taking the patient route with most of our prospects, so we'll have to wait and see.

There aren't really any that can take a regular shift out there to acquire. Sestito cant do much from the bench. If things go crash bang I feel Roussel, Gudbranson, Beagle, Bo, Virtanen, Levio, Sutter, Edler, Hutton, could see an uptick in icetime without hurting us defensively. If the opposition starts throwing out plugs the Canucks will feast on the scoreboard. 

Sure a Tkachuk Ferland Simmonds, would be sweet. Don't see those type  players being passed around for spare parts. 

Archived