Sign in to follow this  
VIC_CITY

Should we go out and get a "tough guy"

Rate this topic

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it was a hockey play gone bad.  Guys try to slow down other players all over the ice.  It used to be the old hook in the ribs and go for a ride, which was safer.  Now, it's more subtle methods that can result in such tangled up legs.  

You want Pete to be given the same treatment as everyone else. How so very communist of you.

Grab Pete=get slashed. The game comes second. Always. Until 2021. Boeser too. That would be nice. We need one Gino and at least two Marchands (talent not required).

Goldobin, Granlund are the first to be replaced. Pain free.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lesterz said:

You want Pete to be given the same treatment as everyone else. How so very communist of you.

Grab Pete=get slashed. The game comes second. Always. Until 2021. Boeser too. That would be nice. We need one Gino and at least two Marchands (talent not required).

Goldobin, Granlund are the first to be replaced. Pain free.

Baer needs an upgrade too.  I'd love to get a Brendan Shanahan, or Jerome Iginla type winger for Petey.  Do guys like that even exist anymore though?  Skilled, mean, score 40 plus??

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Baer needs an upgrade too.  I'd love to get a Brendan Shanahan, or Jerome Iginla type winger for Petey.  Do guys like that even exist anymore though?  Skilled, mean, score 40 plus??

Sure that would be great, but good luck. Gino would be fine for a few years. Boeser and Pete can do enough on their own with a distraction on the ice there for them. (Gino could play too afaiac, btw)

Edited by lesterz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lesterz said:

Sure that would be great, but good luck. Gino would be fine for a few years. Boeser and Pete can do enough on their own with a distraction on the ice there for them. (Gino could play too afaiac, btw)

Would be great to get another Gino too.  I bet Gino with Petey and Boeser would put up 15 plus/ year.  Maybe more?

• Hydration 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would be great to get another Gino too.  I bet Gino with Petey and Boeser would put up 15 plus/ year.  Maybe more?

I hear Ottawa has tough guy available....

Think he is called Archie........

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I hear Ottawa has tough guy available....

Think he is called Archie........

After seeing what Chara did (does) for the Bruins first hand, I wonder why JB hasn't tried to get a guy like that for us?  Obviously we aren't getting Chara.  Maybe JB feels Guddy fills that role, and that's why he got him?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

After seeing what Chara did (does) for the Bruins first hand, I wonder why JB hasn't tried to get a guy like that for us?  Obviously we aren't getting Chara.  Maybe JB feels Guddy fills that role, and that's why he got him?

Guddy can fight very well but he has no stomach for fighting....... so can't fill that role...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Guddy can fight very well but he has no stomach for fighting....... so can't fill that role...

And Goldy has no stomach for board battles.  It's a tough league, and players need to fill roles or it's time to move on.   

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And Goldy has no stomach for board battles.  It's a tough league, and players need to fill roles or it's time to move on.   

100 %

Hockey never changes.   Puck battles make all the difference....  You got heart  / battle or you don't ......

Goldy needs to decide now if he wants to play in the NHL or head to Europe..... decision time. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or the front of the net. I was done with him a couple games ago when on the power play Bo drove to the front of the net from the side and instead of busting into the fray, Goldilocks stood on the outside and reached in with a fingertip grip on his stick. Yup, done.

Edited by lesterz
  • Upvote 1

The Canucks have been picked on since Bertuzzi left. Bieksa was a good fighter, but he's been gone a while and is now out to pasture. At the time, led by Swedish stars (the Sedins), they took a beating throughout their careers, and their lack of pushback may have cost the Canucks their first Cup. But I digress. 

Yes, the Canucks need more toughness. Gudbranson is probably the toughest player, but he doesn't like fighting (concerns about concussions). Jake is a s***-disturber and can lay out some big hits, but he's also not a fighter. Roussel fits this as well. We now have a new (and even better) Swedish superstar, and if the Canucks stand pat and let him be targeted and take his lumps, like the Sedins, then they haven't learned from the past.

Future tough guys?

Gadjovich, Woo and MacEwen if he makes it.

I'm not sure this is enough.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

He'd be a good backup for a number one tough guy though.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gudbranson has more of a stomach for it than Archibald does.

• Upvote 1

We need a smart goon that can cause havoc in front of the oppositions net and has puck tipping skills.

Wanted to get reaves in the offseason and ppl say we don’t need a goon.  But reaves can actually play and can score goals here and there.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NexusRift said:

We need a smart goon that can cause havoc in front of the oppositions net and has puck tipping skills.

The closest guy to this plays in Washington but calling him smart is a stretch.

• Haha 1

We need more than one. How about adding at least 3 more. Way too point conscious, short sighted and soft right now.

• Hydration 1

On 1/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, Alflives said:

Apparently not.  All that matters now is how fast you can skate, the league is trending towards three lines of Mason Raymond’s, and a first line.   With the enforcer gone and guys that want to get in the league that are on the cusp no longer having to fight their way into the league, I don’t think we will see guys like that for a while.  Expansion kind of kept them alive (because bad teams at least used to be filled with tough guys)  but that’s over and with the communist cap approach you can say goodbye to rivalries too (the best we’re great teams in the same division or conference).  Ugh .  At least they are fast though...wow.  At least we have some second generation guys coming in that have truculence bred into them...maybe Shanny and Jerome have some love child’s somewhere hiding in the grass that will spark things a bit.  

Wonder what hockey will look like when the current crop are fifty and their kids are playing...not sure I will be around for that, but my guess is by then fighting will get you suspended and rinks will be wider (which I’m all for).  Grouchy subject, those guys were complete hockey players like Howe.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Apparently not.  All that matters now is how fast you can skate, the league is trending towards three lines of Mason Raymond’s, and a first line.   With the enforcer gone and guys that want to get in the league that are on the cusp no longer having to fight their way into the league, I don’t think we will see guys like that for a while.  Expansion kind of kept them alive (because bad teams at least used to be filled with tough guys)  but that’s over and with the communist cap approach you can say goodbye to rivalries too (the best we’re great teams in the same division or conference).  Ugh .  At least they are fast though...wow.  At least we have some second generation guys coming in that have truculence bred into them...maybe Shanny and Jerome have some love child’s somewhere hiding in the grass that will spark things a bit.  

Wonder what hockey will look like when the current crop are fifty and their kids are playing...not sure I will be around for that, but my guess is by then fighting will get you suspended and rinks will be wider (which I’m all for).  Grouchy subject, those guys were complete hockey players like Howe.

I think the Finish league plays on a hybrid ice sheet.  It’s not as narrow as our, but not as wide as other Euro rinks.  I think it was Ferraro who said he’d like the NHL to go to the Finish ice size.  

If Jake could develop a mean streak, and fight (now and then) I think he’d be even more effective.  He’s pretty good now, but with his size and speed, he could literally dominate, if he had that meanness.

• Upvote 1