VIC_CITY

Should we go out and get a "tough guy"

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

achuk Ferland Simmonds, would be sweet. Don't see those type  players being passed around for spare parts. 

Ferlund and Simmonds are both UFAs. Simmonds is tough but at 185 lbs, Simmonds is more valuable for his all around game and will likely be looking to sign with a contender in the summer. Ferlund on the other hand would be a guy I would kick the tires on. I heard he's looking to get PAID though. Somewhere in the line of what Tom Wilson got.

12 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I hope you're right.

Utica has been such a log jam this year. I was hoping Gadj would be an every day guy in Utica this year and then challenge for a spot on the Canucks next year but it looks like we're taking the patient route with most of our prospects, so we'll have to wait and see.

I feel like he will develope well but he is a long term project I don't see him becoming an impactful player for us until hes 23 24 but I really like him. Hope he can work on his skating because if he can get there he is money infront of the net.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ferlund and Simmonds are both UFAs. Simmonds is tough but at 185 lbs, Simmonds is more valuable for his all around game and will likely be looking to sign with a contender in the summer. Ferlund on the other hand would be a guy I would kick the tires on. I heard he's looking to get PAID though. Somewhere in the line of what Tom Wilson got.

The way he ran over us In the playoffs I'd take a flyer. He can hit and score.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

The physical advantage that they had, along with the way that series was officiated was the reason they won the Stanley Cup.

Completely agree, Boston's physicality threw the Canucks off their game that series, especially from game 3 onward.

Do we need an extra enforcer at this point? Likely not imo, we're not a playoff team yet, and this team already has more toughness than the 2011 Canucks. When we're playoff ready however, extra toughness will be needed, especially on the road. 

• Hydration 1

53 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I'm not convinced that this actually works anymore.  It may have been effective when McSorley was Gretzky's bodyguard, but I don't think guys are intimidated like that anymore.

Go ask Alf, he'll give you a laundry list of Leafs that play intimidated :lol:@Alflives

• Hydration 1

I totally agree with you OP as I have said the exact same thing in another topic, EP is a very special type of player one you don't see often. He obviously needs a few more years to fill out, bulk up, get stronger so why not protect him for a couple more years while this is happening, why risk him taking one bad hit when it may of been prevented because the opposing team didn't want to make that hit on him because they were worried so and so would come after them then. I have no problem with Benning going and getting a guy to protect him for the next couple years or until this team is considered favorites again, why even risk not having a goon type player to protect him why risk him possibly getting hurt from someone taking a run at him because they know a Canuck isn't really going to hurt them after.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I totally agree with you OP as I have said the exact same thing in another topic, EP is a very special type of player one you don't see often. He obviously needs a few more years to fill out, bulk up, get stronger so why not protect him for a couple more years while this is happening, why risk him taking one bad hit when it may of been prevented because the opposing team didn't want to make that hit on him because they were worried so and so would come after them then. I have no problem with Benning going and getting a guy to protect him for the next couple years or until this team is considered favorites again, why even risk not having a goon type player to protect him why risk him possibly getting hurt from someone taking a run at him because they know a Canuck isn't really going to hurt them after.

For sure. That's exactly what TO did by trading for Martin.

If we could swap one of Granlund, Motte or Schaller with a guy like Ferlund or Reaves, we'd be a lot tougher to play against. Food for thought for JB. This summer should be interesting.

• Upvote 2

You can all laugh at Lucic, but I'm telling you that none of the Oilers have to worry about someone taking a run at them unpunished.  

Last guy to do that was Mathieu Joseph, he ran two Oilers from behind into the boards and then was scared $&!#less when Lucic tracked him down, body checked him to the ground and sat on top of him.  

I'm willing to bet that Joseph won't be running any Oilers from behind next time that they play.  

For those out of the loop, Eric Tangradi, a plug that plays in the AHL just injured Chatfield by running him into the boards and then three days later injured Dahlen.  Dahlen is out now with a concussion. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

Completely agree, Boston's physicality threw the Canucks off their game that series, especially from game 3 onward.

Do we need an extra enforcer at this point? Likely not imo, we're not a playoff team yet, and this team already has more toughness than the 2011 Canucks. When we're playoff ready however, extra toughness will be needed, especially on the road. 

Fair enough. But an argument can be made that we need that presence now more than ever, with Boeser, EP, Hughes and Juolevi, (not to mention our 

2019 1st round pick) all making their debut or about to make their debut within a 2-3 year range. So I would say now is when this team needs the protection. Think about how many years the Sedins got absolutely punished before they filled out and started to win those battles along the boards.

• Hydration 1

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You can all laugh at Lucic, but I'm telling you that none of the Oilers have to worry about someone taking a run at them unpunished.  

Last guy to do that was Mathieu Joseph, he ran two Oilers from behind into the boards and then was scared $&!#less when Lucic tracked him down, body checked him to the ground and sat on top of him.  

I'm willing to bet that Joseph won't be running any Oilers from behind next time that they play.  

For those out of the loop, Eric Tangradi, a plug that plays in the AHL just injured Chatfield by running him into the boards and then three days later injured Dahlen.  Dahlen is out now with a concussion. 

I didn't know Dahlen was out. He was on such a tear (finally). This year alone Roussell, Baertschi, EP, Dahlen, Demko have all had concussions. This is NOT good.

Edit: Stetcher and Edler have also visited the quiet room this year.

Edited by VIC_CITY

35 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Fair enough. But an argument can be made that we need that presence now more than ever, with Boeser, EP, Hughes and Juolevi, (not to mention our 

2019 1st round pick) all making their debut or about to make their debut within a 2-3 year range. So I would say now is when this team needs the protection. Think about how many years the Sedins got absolutely punished before they filled out and started to win those battles along the boards.

All good points. Ferlund  and Reaves are viable options, I'd also like to see MacEwan givin a shot sometime this season. A more of a pack mentality would be useful also imo. I love the Sedins, but I've always thought the teams they led were too passive. A more aggressive character from the team as a whole is needed imo.

• Upvote 1

We have been a soft team ever since the days of Pavel Dimitra and Kyle Wellwood. 

If someone like Schaller isn't scoring goals and he isn't sticking up for teammates and fighting then I don't see any point of having him in the lineup. 

Our 4th line needs a heavyweight who is a good fighter and who can also play hockey. Roussel is not that guy. Roussel is good for chirping. 

I like Beagle and Motte. I think they both bring important qualities. Ideally the 4th line winger would be really good defensively and on the penalty kill. 

Not a lot of guys in the league who could do that. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ferlund deserves to get paid and is definitely worth Tom Wilsonesque money.....likely even more.

I would love to have Ferlund on my team, but he also has the type of game that doesn’t age well after 30.  I’d be willing to offer Ferlund a 4 year deal if the numbers added up from a cap space standpoint (short term and long term considerations, having the ability to re-up our future core RFA’s without sacrificing depth, etc.).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

I would love to have Reeves on this team. The dude is as big as a hot tub... 

Wilson is tough but also a very good player.. 

I saw Lucic take 2 good runs at Motte. He almost put Motte out with that hit behind the net. 

He tried same with Stecher but Stech saw him and threw the brakes on.  Lucky... 

Need size and toughness thruout the lineup. Like the Jets.

I think Leivo trade was great. He's got size and can work the boards.. need that type of toughness as well to help the kids....

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, no.   I am amazed people can watch a game without actually seeing the game.   Canucks outhit the Oilers during the game.    Not sure what game you watched but Lucic was slow and ineffective.   His "runs" had little impact.   Guddy and Virtanen hit harder through the game.   Lucic had one decent hit on Motte but ended up hitting the boards more than any real impact on a player otherwise.   

He had multiple punishing hits.  He finished the night credited with 9 hits total, when a guy like that is running around you definitely take notice.  Robb Zepp being a goalie wouldn't understand that.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I would love to have Reeves on this team. The dude is as big as a hot tub... 

Wilson is tough but also a very good player.. 

I saw Lucic take 2 good runs at Motte. He almost put Motte out with that hit behind the net. 

He tried same with Stecher but Stech saw him and threw the brakes on.  Lucky... 

Need size and toughness thruout the lineup. Like the Jets.

I think Leivo trade was great. He's got size and can work the boards.. need that type of toughness as well to help the kids....

Leivo is great.  He puts his head down and he goes to work, nothing flashy but he gets the job done.

Hopefully Virtanen keeps adding to his mean streak and can become somewhat of a Tom Wilson

Edited by The 5th Line

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I don't know...seeing Reaves take out Wilson, you know how valuable he is to that Vegas team.

So say we had Reaves.  Do you honestly think that would have stopped Matheson from slamming Pettersson to the ice?

I thought lucic played within the rules last night and besides the Canucks were tit for tat with hits thanks to Gudbranson, beagle, motte, Jake.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't get these "should we get a tough guy?" threads. We got Beagle, Roussel, and Schaller over the summer. We need slots available still for prospects to play.

So no, we don't need a tough guy. It's not going to make our team better at this point. It's not going to magically give us less injuries. Getting a tough guy is basically saying "we have a wound" and then trying to patch it with a band-aid when we don't even know where the wound is. We'd have better luck recruiting a figure skater.

Edited by The Lock

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

So say we had Reaves.  Do you honestly think that would have stopped Matheson from slamming Pettersson to the ice?

Yeah it's quite possible that it would have stopped it, actually.