Ryzen

Elias Petterson in 3 years could get a $150Million Deal?!

Rate this topic

On 12/19/2018 at 9:24 PM, beni said:

The problem with this thinking is that guys like Crosby, Ovi, McDavid would have been putting up points like Gretzky and Mario were. The game is totally different, an average NHL'r now would look above average back then. 

Mario and Gretzky would not put up numbers like they did in today's game. 

oh yea they would.

todays nhl is fairly open. tons of players over 1.0 ppg.   

the key is the difference between mcdavid and crosby and peers is not that mang points.   mcdavid has narrowly won the scoring title, not run away with it.

i just take it you never saw mario play, nor gretz.  most of the time it was just constant amazement and chances.  literally.  we dont have a player of that caliber playing now - just compare point percentage against peers.   regardless of how hard it is to score in any era.  the stats speak for themselves

mcdavid and crosby are similiar to sakic and yzerman.  if you want to compare.   those were elite awesome players anyone would  want on their teams.  truly sensational.

or jagr.  he is arguable more elite than those 4 - but nobody ever called him generational or on the same talent level as mario.

but they werent in the same class as gretz and mario.  elite isnt generational.  not every generation gets a generational player.  there hasnt been one since mario.

Edited by canucksnihilist
  • Upvote 1

On 12/16/2018 at 11:06 PM, Ryzen said:

I know it sounds outrageous but a few years back would you have seen a 12.5Million a year contract that McDavid got? In 3 years whom knows how big the Salary Cap will be and or how good EP will be? :)

He’s not as good as you think he is 

Jack Eichel got ten and he had more Pts then Matthews in the last 160 games.

yet they think mTthees should get 11 or 12...

why?

eichel has outplayed him.

I think with salary inflation Elias could be looking at a max deal at an average of 10.5 per season on the high side. But, thats solely based on his continual progression.

I think this Boeser negotiation is going to be very important for future cap situations down the road. We need to get Brock signed for no more than 7.5 per on a 6-7 year deal. 

On 12/17/2018 at 1:12 AM, HI5 said:

I think we should offer him 366 million over  5 years;  1 million more than boxing star Canelo Alvarez. Making him the highest paid athlete in all major sports.

thats more the wht panthers are worth

On 12/16/2018 at 11:55 PM, Ryzen said:

I personally believe he is the next Gretzky of the NHL... 

I keep hearing this ludicrous claim around here.  Let's put an end to it right now.  You guys must not be old enough to have seen Gretzky play.  Because, he was so much better than Pettersson, it isn't even funny (and so was Lemieux, before you guys go there).

For instance, in his rookie year, Gretzky led the league in points (and was 2 goals short of leading the league in goals as well).  Pettersson is, right now, tied for 35th in points and 18th in goals.  He'd need to score around 66% more to be leading the league - in either category.

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2018 at 10:55 PM, Ryzen said:

It's possible when in 3 years Elias Petterson is do for his contract it could be worth anywhere from $100Million-$150Million over 8 Years!

I personally believe he is the next Gretzky of the NHL... Give him a couple more years and beef up another 10pds and experience with more skilled players.

I'm calling it now... What do you think?

Gretzky tore the league up though... do you see Elias doing this?

On 12/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

In a cap NHL the only way to stay relevant is to draft well and keep your contract terms under 6 years.

Ya and that just simply doesn't happen, the best players in the world get big long contracts. Welcome to planet earth.

22 hours ago, cyoung said:

Ya and that just simply doesn't happen, the best players in the world get big long contracts. Welcome to planet earth.

Hence why Chicago, l.a, and other less wining clubs like Anaheim are struggling.

1 hour ago, bernzie71 said:

i could see elias getting 6-8 mil AAV. for 5 years 

Why on earth would we only give him 5... Depending on his progression he could be at a 10mil guy.

• Upvote 1

listen HMO. i said 6-8 mil. 10 mil once his  ECL  expires in the 2020-21 season. Bo is Averaging 5 mil a season.  Loui’s at 6 mil. Brock should be at 6-10 mil next season. u have guys like Beagle @ 4 milAAV(sp) Gagne at 3 mil sutter @ 3-5 mil AAV.

18 minutes ago, bernzie71 said:

listen HMO. i said 6-8 mil. 10 mil once his  ECL  expires in the 2020-21 season. Bo is Averaging 5 mil a season.  Loui’s at 6 mil. Brock should be at 6-10 mil next season. u have guys like Beagle @ 4 milAAV(sp) Gagne at 3 mil sutter @ 3-5 mil AAV.

Nylander just signed for 7.  EP40 is actually twice as good.  He’s going to be up there with Tavares.  

@Alf yeah u are right 10 mil for Boeser and EP doesn’t sound to far off. i think contracts after 30 years of age should be 3 year cap Max. so we don’t get the rousell , Beagle , Gagne , sutter  Erikssons,  Of the NHL. 

On 12/22/2018 at 6:36 PM, canucksnihilist said:

oh yea they would.

todays nhl is fairly open. tons of players over 1.0 ppg.   

the key is the difference between mcdavid and crosby and peers is not that mang points.   mcdavid has narrowly won the scoring title, not run away with it.

i just take it you never saw mario play, nor gretz.  most of the time it was just constant amazement and chances.  literally.  we dont have a player of that caliber playing now - just compare point percentage against peers.   regardless of how hard it is to score in any era.  the stats speak for themselves

The speed of the game is not the primary reason why points are different now compared with Gretzky's time. Instead, it's because of the goalies. Keep in mind a goalie when Gretzky started typically stood up and never really crouched down. Gretzky's shots almost never went off the ice. (It's actually kind of funny if you watch an older game with Gretzky as the shots are almost boring compared with now. Hardly any shot even going above the goalie's waist lol) In the 90's goalie equipment and techniques were reinvented which has caused the current greats to not be able to score so much. You are right in the game being more open, but that doesn't change the fact that the goalies are much more effective these days. Markstrom with his current techniques and equipment would have probably been a superstar if we suddenly placed him in the league 30-40 years ago. ;)

On top of that, while this seasons seeing a ton more points than normal, we've seen very little fluctuation in the number of points provided by the top scoring leaders in the past 10-20 years. This season's really been unreal in comparison.

Edited by The Lock

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

The speed of the game is not the primary reason why points are different now compared with Gretzky's time. Instead, it's because of the goalies. Keep in mind a goalie when Gretzky started typically stood up and never really crouched down. Gretzky's shots almost never went off the ice. (It's actually kind of funny if you watch an older game with Gretzky as the shots are almost boring compared with now. Hardly any shot even going above the goalie's waist lol) In the 90's goalie equipment and techniques were reinvented which has caused the current greats to not be able to score so much. You are right in the game being more open, but that doesn't change the fact that the goalies are much more effective these days. Markstrom with his current techniques and equipment would have probably been a superstar if we suddenly placed him in the league 30-40 years ago. ;)

On top of that, while this seasons seeing a ton more points than normal, we've seen very little fluctuation in the number of points provided by the top scoring leaders in the past 10-20 years. This season's really been unreal in comparison.

Well it’s the difference in performance amongst players of the same era.  That wasreally the point

Not Pettersson specifically related...but definitely helps us moving forward though when signing big deals like EP and Hughes

Luongo plans on playing until he’s 43

Luke Fox of Sportsnet: Florida Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo is 39-years old and he has four years left on his deal. His cap hit is $5.33 million but his salary will drop to $1 million for the final two years.

Luongo says he’s plan on honoring his deal as that is why he signed the deal … and with the back-diving salary?

“You guys said that. I never said that. My intention was to play as long as I could. I never put a number on it. I never said I was going to retire at a certain age. I was going to play as long as I enjoyed it.”

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-ottawa-senators-mark-stone-matt-duchene-chicago-blackhawks-brandon-manning/2018/12/26/

Image result for luongo cap recapture penalty

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY