The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 18, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You're missing the point, Roussel created the chip on Tampas shoulder for running his mouth at one of their best players, you don't do that when you're not at the same level as the other team.

Yeah you do. How do you think Burrows and Kesler started off. I know we lost this game the way they stuck up for eachother but I think after this game, the Canucks just grew together as a team. Nillson was in net so you know they game was not going to go our way anyways. So use these games to toughen the kids up. It sucks that Stetcher had to go through that but the Canucks stood up to them.

13 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wow I just saw this angle... Was at the game and thought he might have got shoulder first.

Why on earth do they not show replays at the games on the jumbo Tron? Do they not want fans to get angry or something? 

I hope someone ends martells season with a head shot. 

It also look like Martel tried to slew foot Stecher as well, what a dirty player. Maybe trying to impress his a-hole coach, because he's barely an NHL player. Looks like it worked with them fist-pumping all around. Tampa - the new LA Kings.

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes I am, he wanted to piss of their team by running his mouth at one of their best players, vice versa I'm sure if a player on the other team was running his mouth at EP like that it would put a chip on Canucks players shoulders as well through out the game, have you ever played hocky? Do you understand the emotions that happen during a game I don't think you do.

I've played hockey, football, baseball, rugby, soccer. Yes. What's your point? In games, things got heated, but no one ever used that heightened emotion to justify injuring a defenseless player. That's the realm of cowardice.

Your point makes no sense. Roussel engaged Kucherov, who tucked his tail between his legs, and Gourde, who got his ass handed to him. Martel wasn't involved in that scrum and what Roussel did to either Lightning player had no bearing on the unbelievably dirty play that resulted in Stecher being injured. Try to justify it all you want, it's just a huge passing of the buck.

Everything Roussel did was clean and above board. What Martel did wasn't.

1 minute ago, Darius said:

ive been watching hockey for decades.  having a guy like Roussel running his mouth is nothing new. agitators have existed since day 1.  Can you imagine what the Sedins heard in their career.  It certainly does not justify Martel administering what could be a season ending hit on a player.

If Tampa had any balls, and were not gutless, they would have went after Roussel immediately.  Or they would have went after Guddy.  

So in all the decades you watched hockey players like to run and hit player's bigger then them, lol that's not what happens.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I've played hockey, football, baseball, rugby, soccer. Yes. What's your point?

Your point makes no sense. Roussel engaged Kucherov, who tucked his tail between his legs, and Gourde, who got his ass handed to him. Martel wasn't involved in that scrum and what Roussel did to either Lightning player had no bearing on the unbelievably dirty play that resulted in Stecher being injured. Try to justify it all you want, it's just a huge passing of the buck.

Everything Roussel did was clean and above board. What Martel did wasn't.

So by your logic if someone did that to EP you would say the same about him and he just tucked his tail between his legs... I'm sure you wouldn't use the same logic if it was the other way around. The fact that you say you have played team sports and can't comprehend the fact when a bum player starts verbally attacking one of your best players in a game it isn't going to put a chip on your shoulder for the rest of the game against your opposition, if you really don't believe that then you're clearly lying about playing team sports, or you only played for the letter I and not team.

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So by your logic if someone did that to EP you would say the same about him and he just tucked his tail between his legs... 

EP would back down from the physical confrontations then break his ankles a few times throughout the game and score another five points. Some players hit, EP scores.

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

ive been watching hockey for decades.  having a guy like Roussel running his mouth is nothing new. agitators have existed since day 1.  Can you imagine what the Sedins heard in their career.  It certainly does not justify Martel administering what could be a season ending hit on a player.

If Tampa had any balls, and were not gutless, they would have went after Roussel immediately.  Or they would have went after Guddy.  

Well, since we are stating credentials, 55 years of playing, coaching and watching hockey...………..still playing...……….

Now the 2 things that are high-lited are not related...…...a guy running his mouth is annoying, but harmless....no injury will occur because of it...…..

The head shot starts a whole different story...……

I have always played by the "one up" rule, which basically means, if you hit me, I will hit you harder. If you slash me, I will slash you harder......now in professional hockey

that gets hidden a little better than what I just said, but Tampa's lack of response was directly a result of knowing they started it, and the Canucks were going to finish it.

Now on a bigger team, that may not have been the response, but Tampa is not big, and this is just one game, with nothing really on the line for them, they walked away 

from an escalating response that they started. (They knew it was wrong)

41 minutes ago, smokes said:

Yeah you do. How do you think Burrows and Kesler started off. I know we lost this game the way they stuck up for eachother but I think after this game, the Canucks just grew together as a team. Nillson was in net so you know they game was not going to go our way anyways. So use these games to toughen the kids up. It sucks that Stetcher had to go through that but the Canucks stood up to them.

Yeah, you do that if you want to get schooled by the better team which is what happened, you got to know what battles to pick, you don't just pick battles with everyone. I'll agree about the sticking up for each other, that's what fans want to see so that was good to see and good for the team going forward, but Tampa is a #1 team in the league and a favorite for a reason, they're on another level then the Canucks. Canucks aren't quite at that level yet, hopefully in a few years they'll be getting closer to that level, but until then they're not in Tampas league yet, so pick the battles with the teams you're competitive to play against with.

Forgot to add Kesler and Burrows agitating really helped so much the refs wanted to be on our side all the time right?

So by your logic if someone did that to EP you would say the same about him and he just tucked his tail between his legs... I'm sure you wouldn't use the same logic if it was the other way around.

Did what to Petterson? Engage him directly like Roussel did to Kucherov? If a player did that to Elias, I would hope that one of two outcomes would occur:

• Petterson engage with the player and throw down, if he felt he could manage, or
  • another player step in and offer themselves up as a willing combatant.

The fact that you say you have played team sports and can't comprehend the fact when a bum player starts verbally attacking one of your best players in a game it isn't going to put a chip on your shoulder for the rest of the game against your opposition, if you really don't believe that then you're clearly lying about playing team sports, or you only played for the letter I and not team.

There's a code that all honest players stand by, that maybe you never heard of. It's called not hitting a player with a blindsided hit. It exists all the way from peewee to professional. Regardless of how riled up and angry you are as a player or a teammate. You engage willing combatants that can see you coming, like a man, instead of being a gutless weasel. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is understandable, using that shoulder to hit an unsuspecting player in the head is pathetic.

Maybe, the next time you're playing with your "team" you can pass along that lesson.

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So by your logic if someone did that to EP you would say the same about him and he just tucked his tail between his legs... I'm sure you wouldn't use the same logic if it was the other way around. The fact that you say you have played team sports and can't comprehend the fact when a bum player starts verbally attacking one of your best players in a game it isn't going to put a chip on your shoulder for the rest of the game against your opposition, if you really don't believe that then you're clearly lying about playing team sports, or you only played for the letter I and not team.

come on chuck...do you really think this is something rare?  you ever sat down near the glass and heard these guys chirp?  verbally attacking? haha.  poor tampa, one of their best players got verbally assaulted by a guy with a thick french accent...come on..

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

EP would back down from the physical confrontations then break his ankles a few times throughout the game and score another five points. Some players hit, EP scores.

Lol that's the point, that's what Kucherov wanted to do to, but according to Phillip he tucked his tail and ran like a scared @&#@$

come on chuck...do you really think this is something rare?  you ever sat down near the glass and heard these guys chirp?  verbally attacking? LOL.  poor tampa, one of their best players got verbally assaulted by a guy with a thick french accent...come on..

C'mon Darius. Clearly Martel was extremely offended by how Roussel picked on poor defenseless Kucherov, and decided that in order to even the score, he'd be a weasel and actually physically attack Stecher, because that somehow is justified by Roussel's big mean aggression.

Yeah, you do that if you want to get schooled by the better team which is what happened, you got to know what battles to pick, you don't just pick battles with everyone. I'll agree about the sticking up for each other, that's what fans want to see so that was good to see and good for the team going forward, but Tampa is a #1 team in the league and a favorite for a reason, they're on another level then the Canucks. Canucks aren't quite at that level yet, hopefully in a few years they'll be getting closer to that level, but until then they're not in Tampas league yet, so pick the battles with the teams you're competitive to play against with.

So what play them scared? Sometimes you learn more from a good but whooping than a minor but whooping. Tampa on our backup seriously? Did you think the Canucks had a chance in the first place? This was a character loss. Check Green out in the interview. I don't even think he cared who won after this game.

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

come on chuck...do you really think this is something rare?  you ever sat down near the glass and heard these guys chirp?  verbally attacking? haha.  poor tampa, one of their best players got verbally assaulted by a guy with a thick french accent...come on..

Wow you guys really haven't played team sports competitive, all talk on CDC but in reality have no actual experience of the game on the ice in real life, makes sense but just a waste of time now with you guys.

come on chuck...do you really think this is something rare?  you ever sat down near the glass and heard these guys chirp?  verbally attacking? LOL.  poor tampa, one of their best players got verbally assaulted by a guy with a thick french accent...come on..

he's been drinking the Hitchcock koolaid 'you cant do that to mcdavid' every body has to get out of his way and provide a clear unobstructed path ,cause you know super star. and god forbid dont do no trash talkin lol

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Did what to Petterson? Engage him directly like Roussel did to Kucherov? If a player did that to Elias, I would hope that one of two outcomes would occur:

• Petterson engage with the player and throw down, if he felt he could manage, or
  • another player step in and offer themselves up as a willing combatant.

There's a code that all honest players stand by, that maybe you never heard of. It's called not hitting a player with a blindsided hit. It exists all the way from peewee to professional. Regardless of how riled up and angry you are as a player or a teammate. You engage willing combatants that can see you coming, like a man, instead of being a gutless weasel. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is understandable, using that shoulder to hit an unsuspecting player in the head is pathetic.

Maybe, the next time you're playing with your "team" you can pass along that lesson.

Bravo

Yes, Tampa is probably the best team in the league. So what, some team has to be. What I think happened was the Canucks were on the verge of beating the Lightning and they got a little scared, getting swept in the season series by a bottom team. Roussel was doing his job perfectly, agitating and getting opponents off their game. Looked like it worked. Gourd was a fool going after Roussel after the hit. As for Martel, he shouldn't be in the league. He doesn't respect the game or his opponents. I'd love to see Green and Cooper in the ring. I would pay to see that.  

That’s all good and fine for the 4th line fringe nhler to injure  but don't cry when a fringe nhl or a Wilson injures one of yours. And fist bumps the coach. 

That screams classy organization. 

I get the game was close but i wish van would have taken some runs at the goaltender and then fist bumped after each one.

oh well another Canuck injury with a head shot and no league response, cant see a Canuck ever getting away with that hit.  

Archived