The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking to get back into gaming (PS3) (PC)

Bruce Boudreau

So recently I have felt like getting back into gaming for the nostalgia.

Growing up I was a very casual gamer. Only played sports video games on PC because I was busy playing real sports as well.

I gave up gaming as school took over and it felt less and less acceptable to be gaming as an Adult, when I should have been worrying about my career/future life plans.

I have some time in these next couple of weeks. I would like to get back in and dust off the old PS3.

Any suggestions where to find games for PS3 anymore? I know it is a dying console now that there is the PS4.

I don't really feel like getting a brand new PC just for gaming. I have the PS3 slim with the Dualshock 3 controllers.

Any suggestions for games? I have an old Windows Vista PC I am sure the hardware is not compatible with most games these days.

Looking for games I could get for 30$ or less any good old PS3 or even PC games say from 2008-2015?

I got NHL Legacy the PS3 recently (15€). You can find current roster updates online. I quit playing the EA Sports NHL games in the early 2000s because I felt they had not much to do with real hockey and was pleasantly surprised to find out that with decent slider settings this fairly recent edition plays really well and is a lot of fun.

There's a chance you might enjoy Rocket League and it's fairly undemanding on your PC, especially if you turn down the graphics a bunch. It was released in 2015 and is a sports-based game. Most describe it as "Car Soccer", but it actual fact it plays a lot more like hockey from a strategic point of view. It's great fun to play at both a casual level and a competitive level and there's a very active competitive community if you're interested in going down that route. Normally $22 CAD on Steam, but currently only $11 due to the Winter Sale.

Check out this ad from when it was released back in June 2015:

I should add that it has also been released for the Switch, Xbox One, and PS4, but it sounds like you don't have those systems.

I still play BO1 on PS3 regularly. Still a $&!# ton of people online, 10,000+ usually in daytime. The best COD for me, none of that futuristic bull$&!#. Maps are awesome.

Uncharted series is always fun to play again. GTA, Batman (Don't remember full name) and Last of Us are other games that come to mind

I have a PS4, but only play 2K on it and I'm usually on my PS3 more than my PS4 lol.

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

Facebook marketplace is probably your best bet.

But why not PS4?

Just don't feel like it would be a good investment for the amount of time I would have to set aside. Not to date myself, but I kinda feel I am in that range where if you tell people you still play games they look at you kind of funny now. Haha.

How about Amazon or E Bay?

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

I still play BO1 on PS3 regularly. Still a $&!# ton of people online, 10,000+ usually in daytime. The best COD for me, none of that futuristic bull$&!#. Maps are awesome.

Uncharted series is always fun to play again. GTA, Batman (Don't remember full name) and Last of Us are other games that come to mind

I have a PS4, but only play 2K on it and I'm usually on my PS3 more than my PS4 lol.

Now that you mention GTA 5. I searched and Best Buy has the PS3 version in-store for $20. Not bad I guess?

I have the PS3 small slim version will it play good on it?  I read it plays much better on a newer PC or PS4 or XBox One because of how big the landscape it loads slower apparently. The PS3 Slim version has less storage space too.

I haven't played GTA 4 in ages either my trigger buttons are really loose on both my Dual shock 3 controllers for some reason. They don't respond well when I try to drive fast for the missions.

Would get the PC version but I don't really know if it would be compatible.

39 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Now that you mention GTA 5. I searched and Best Buy has the PS3 version in-store for $20. Not bad I guess?

I have the PS3 small slim version will it play good on it?  I read it plays much better on a newer PC or PS4 or XBox One because of how big the landscape it loads slower apparently. The PS3 Slim version has less storage space too.

I haven't played GTA 4 in ages either my trigger buttons are really loose on both my Dual shock 3 controllers for some reason. They don't respond well when I try to drive fast for the missions.

Would get the PC version but I don't really know if it would be compatible.

Don't know the difference between the slim or fat, maybe someone else on here can answer that. However, I don't see why it wouldn't play good on the slim.

I would check the Facebook market, Craigslist, etc before buying from a BestBuy, Amazon, EBGames. You can probably find people selling  a bunch  of games for way less. I personally wouldn't pay $30 for any PS3 game. $&!# even $20, but I don't know the market for PS3 games.

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Just don't feel like it would be a good investment for the amount of time I would have to set aside. Not to date myself, but I kinda feel I am in that range where if you tell people you still play games they look at you kind of funny now. Haha.

How about Amazon or E Bay?

eBay for sure

18 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

...Not to date myself, but I kinda feel I am in that range where if you tell people you still play games they look at you kind of funny now. Haha.

It's ok, I date myself every night.

Don't worry about what others think.  If you want to play, play!  My brother-in-law is 62 and he has over 3000 trophies. I'm in my '40's and play a lot of PS4 & PS3 games.  I've always played a lot of games back to having a Commodore 64 and a Colecovision set as a boy.

Really depends what you like to play.  Xbox, PS, and Nintendo have their own exclusive games.  Computer is more easily customizable and of course useful for more than gaming.  I think they all have internet & Netflix type features to boot. It’s just a personal preference thing.

Archived