The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

13 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

It’s no secret that Jacob Markstrom is currently playing the best hockey of his career right now. His past 6 games he has 6 wins and a sub 2 GAA. Not only are his numbers really good, but even a fan like me who knows very little about goaltending can tell he looks more solid in the net and is giving up fewer opportunities for easy goals. 

Now obviously, 6 games is a small sample size. But I started to wonder, how long until we’re convinced Jacob markstrom can be a legit starter? 1 month? The rest of the season? This season and next season? Lots of goalies have one good year then cool off again (Talbots a couple years ago, Mike Smith last year, etc.). 

I’d be wary of labeling him as a bonafide number 1 until at least the end of the season to see if he can at least maintain his above average numbers from here on out. 

Anyways, I don’t know how long this play from markstrom is going to last but I’m going to enjoy every minute of it till it’s over. 

Too many factors to consider, what would his save percentage be? What is his GAA? How many games would he play?

However, even if he were to do well in everything, one month is too short, we'd need to see what he is capable of long term. IMO wait one and a half more seasons and look at his stats. 

I think if he ends the season at around a .910 sv% but more importantly continues to look this confident then I'd say I was wrong about him and he actually could be considered a "starter" - not just technically a #31 guy but someone you would think could possibly get your through round 1 of the playoffs if our defence was healthy. 

12 minutes ago, Baer. said:

He's never finished a season with a winning record

Just took the Comets to the Calder Cup finals a few seasons ago. ...... yes. I know it was the AHL, but still refutes your statement.

And a 62 - 63 - 17 record as a Canuck isn't too shabby

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 2

Let’s not be prisoners of the moment.

Markstrom’s current stat line: 14-9-3, SV% .906, GAA 2.94

Markstrom’s career stat line: 73-88-22, SV% .908, GAA 2.85.

After being in the league for 9 seasons, he’s exactly what his stat line says he is. An average to below average starting goaltender for a team (though he would probably make a great backup for a contending team.) 

One hot streak against the likes of Edmonton, St. Louis, Philly, and Columbus does not change his reputation.

• Upvote 1

Proving himself of what exactly? A capable starting goaltender, or a capable NHL goaltender? The latter, he's on his way. The former? Not even close, at least not as of yet.

There's a lot of factors to consider when talking about a proven goaltender. Allowing maybe 1 to 5 BAD goals a month, having the occasional stinker which is fine, solely winning games or stealing them, stuff like that. If I see that consistently from Markstrom, then he's on his way to proving himself that he's a viable starting goaltender.  But I need to see that from him consistently. I would say around 2 to 3 years.

If you were to ask a Blues fan 2 years ago if Jake Allen is a starting goaltender, they would have replied with "he's one of the best goaltenders in the league" and I would have concurred with that statement. Fast forward 2 years later, and all of that success he's had is negated, because he's had 2 really poor seasons. Ask a Blues fan now, and they would tell you he's not a starting goaltender, he's not reliable.

Someone that is proven is generally what you want from a back-up goalie.  If you're talking about whether or not he's a proven starting goaltender, he's pretty far from that. He's got to string in a couple of solid seasons to really prove himself as a reliable starting goaltender.

Edited by Odd.

Just now, Baer. said:

He doesn't have a decent team in front of him this year either

i'd say he does. he's done just fine, given what he has. he seems less shaky in net this year than prior years, especially last year. i still wouldn't call him a #1 starter, but a solid NHL backup. thats all this team has rn

2 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i'd say he does. he's done just fine, given what he has. he seems less shaky in net this year than prior years, especially last year. i still wouldn't call him a #1 starter, but a solid NHL backup. thats all this team has rn

His save% this year is the lowest he's had since his first year as a canuck.

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Just took the Comets to the Calder Cup finals a few seasons ago. ...... yes. I know it was the AHL, but still refutes your statement.

And a 62 - 63 - 17 record as a Canuck isn't too shabby

Really?  Because that looks like a losing record to me. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Baer. said:

His save% this year is the lowest he's had since his first year as a canuck.

it's probably one of the worst injury plagued seasons this team's had in its history, and we just got through november, yet this team's still toiling at .500 and the team around him's playing the best they can at this level, given what they have, and the injuries in play, or guys still playing hurt. we as fans arent privy to everything.