The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

2 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

it's probably one of the worst injury plagued seasons this team's had in its history, and we just got through november, yet this team's still toiling at .500 and the team around him's playing the best they can at this level, given what they have, and the injuries in play, or guys still playing hurt. we as fans arent privy to everything.

Last year was pretty bad too don't forget. His record might be better but he's letting in more goals, you can't ignore that. Also Canucks haven't even lost the most man games in the league. There are other teams like Nashville who at one point had no Forsberg, Arvidsson or Subban but were still winning.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He's 1 game from .500, and the fact that he's a hair under .500 on a team who's had injury problems, icing 30 different players a season at one point, and  is currently rebuilding, suddenly those numbers don't look all that disappointing.

OT loss is a loss.  You can’t just ignore them.  

62-80 is a losing record.   

7 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Really?  Because that looks like a losing record to me. 

I never suggested it was a winning record.

Then I guess Kirk McLean was never a true starter either (245 - 262 - 72)

Nor 'King' Richard Brodeur (131 - 175 - 62)

Yet both got us to the SCF

Just saying ...........

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Without a solid defense in front of him it'll be tough going no matter what we call him. The Tampa goalie has better stats because of the defense in front of him. 

One defence man - #77.  That one minute munching star on D makes the difference.  Fortunately we have both Hughes and Juiolevi coming.  

16 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I never suggested it was a winning record.

Then I guess Kirk McLean was never a true starter either (245 - 262 - 72)

Nor 'King' Richard Brodeur (131 - 175 - 62)

Yet both got us to the SCF

Just saying ...........

Both of their career save percentages were well under .900 and GAA well over 3. 

Not numbers to brag about.   

Just because we love them, doesn’t mean they were great goalies.  

Just saying..........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

One defence man - #77.  That one minute munching star on D makes the difference.  Fortunately we have both Hughes and Juiolevi coming.  

And LHD Jack Rathbone (3g and 6a in 11 games for Harvard this season)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

they average around 6-3  to 6-4  at about  220-230 pounds 

tough going to get to their crease

53 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Just took the Comets to the Calder Cup finals a few seasons ago. ...... yes. I know it was the AHL, but still refutes your statement.

And a 62 - 63 - 17 record as a Canuck isn't too shabby

I dunno man losing in the cup finals isn't too shabby. A losing record is just terrible. 

Edited by Chris12345

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

For me he needs to keep it up for the season.  Pockets of success mid-season isn't enough.  Week to week consistency is what I'm looking for (the odd stinker is inevitable and excusable to a degree)

His inconsistency comes when the team is suffering a lot of injuries.  Not many goalies could weather the kind of onslaught he was facing during that time 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Both of their career save percentages were well under .900 and GAA well over 3. 

Not numbers to brag about.   

Just because we love them, doesn’t mean they were great goalies.  

Just saying..........

Bobby Lou was the only truly great goalie we’ve had, wasn’t he?  

• Upvote 1

He's already playing like a starter based purely on this season's goalie stats:

GAA: 20th (minimum 20 GP)

SV%: 18th (minimum 20 GP)

Wins: T-6th

TOI: 7th

Keep in mind that this also includes the terrible November we just had. If, hypothetically speaking, he came out with two more wins over the losing streak, he'd be T-3rd in wins with Hellebuyck. Fun fact: his SV% is .001 below MA-Fleury, who's having a monster season with 20 Wins and 5 SO. Furthermore, his SV% is higher than both Anderson and Price, who are both having bouncebacks from last year's disaster seasons.

Let's look at his last 6 games:

GAA: 1.67

SV%: .941

Yes, he's currently on a hot streak, but compare him with some top goalies around the league over their past 6 and you'll have to give credit where it's due:

Rinne: SV% 879  GAA 2.5

Halak: SV% 917 GAA 2.67

Andersen: SV% 889  GAA 3

Gibson: SV% 916  GAA 2.17

Fleury: SV% 887  GAA 3.17

Holtby: SV% 920  GAA 2.33

Hellebuyck: 922  GAA 2.67

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, therodigy said:

He's already playing like a starter based purely on this season's goalie stats:

GAA: 20th (minimum 20 GP)

SV%: 18th (minimum 20 GP)

Wins: T-6th

TOI: 7th

Keep in mind that this also includes the terrible November we just had. If, hypothetically speaking, he came out with two more wins over the losing streak, he'd be T-3rd in wins with Hellebuyck. Fun fact: his SV% is .001 below MA-Fleury, who's having a monster season with 20 Wins and 5 SO. Furthermore, his SV% is higher than both Anderson and Price, who are both having bouncebacks from last year's disaster seasons.

Let's look at his last 6 games:

GAA: 1.67

SV%: .941

Yes, he's currently on a hot streak, but compare him with some top goalies around the league over their past 6 and you'll have to give credit where it's due:

Rinne: SV% 879  GAA 2.5

Halak: SV% 917 GAA 2.67

Andersen: SV% 889  GAA 3

Gibson: SV% 916  GAA 2.17

Fleury: SV% 887  GAA 3.17

Holtby: SV% 920  GAA 2.33

Hellebuyck: 922  GAA 2.67

Thoughts?

You could make a lot of average players look good cherry picking 6 games.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

It’s no secret that Jacob Markstrom is currently playing the best hockey of his career right now. His past 6 games he has 6 wins and a sub 2 GAA. Not only are his numbers really good, but even a fan like me who knows very little about goaltending can tell he looks more solid in the net and is giving up fewer opportunities for easy goals. 

Now obviously, 6 games is a small sample size. But I started to wonder, how long until we’re convinced Jacob markstrom can be a legit starter? 1 month? The rest of the season? This season and next season? Lots of goalies have one good year then cool off again (Talbots a couple years ago, Mike Smith last year, etc.). 

I’d be wary of labeling him as a bonafide number 1 until at least the end of the season to see if he can at least maintain his above average numbers from here on out. 

Anyways, I don’t know how long this play from markstrom is going to last but I’m going to enjoy every minute of it till it’s over. 

Marky has clearly shown he can play at a #1 goalie level but for me to actually consider him a #1 goalie (full stop) he needs at least two consistent seasons under his belt. With that being said, I like him for the team at this point in their evolution and hope he keeps playing well.

• Like 2

I don’t think anyone on the ice is a proven commodity until they have performed well in the playoffs. All the regular season success doesn’t mean anything unless you can do it after the refs put the whistle away. Doesn’t matter if you are a centre or a goalie, the pressure goes up, the physicality increases and you are truly tested. We may not find out this year at all if he is a starter...and I have my fingers crossed that Demko steals the chance from him next year. 

• Like 1

My understanding since Benning drafted  Demko in his first draft at the helm was that Marky was/is the stopgap until Demko is ready to take over. With only 1 more year on his deal, I expect him to split the net with Demko next year before departing via trade or free agency depending on how Demko adapts to the NHL. For now, things seem to be adhering to that outlook. 

• Upvote 1