The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

34 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Bumping this thread a month and a half later. 

Where do we sit now? I’m Much more convinced marky can be a number 1. Two and a half months of top-5-in-the-league level goaltending

Wow reading the first page of this thread...how opinions have changed so quickly.

For me, I'm not convinced until I've seen a lot more of a sample size.  There have been tons of goalies who have good extended runs then fall off entirely.  What makes a goalie a true #1 is when they can be relied on almost every game to put in a good performance over the span of years.  Elite goalies do that too, but steal games for you regularly as well.

Markstrom is not and will never be a high end goalie imo.  But he is playing with confidence now and if he keeps it up he is a comfortable stop gap until we see something higher level from Demko or Dipietro.

There really has been a buzz about Markstrom's play of late but I'm not buying into the fanfare quite yet.  I will add, however, that we have great goalie prospects as well and if we end up with a surplus of quality goalies that bodes very well from both a trade fodder perspective as well as havimg a tandem that can be relied on.

To me, it is hard to win in the playoffs without having an elite goaltender. So man I hope we have one in the mix; Markstrom isn't it I don't think.

One final note, and a caveat to my position: Nilsson is playing far better in Ottawa.  One has to wonder how much our D drags our goalies down...

Edited by kloubek

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

For me, I'm not convinced until I've seen a lot more of a sample size.  There have been tons of goalies who have good extended runs then fall off entirely.  What makes a goalie a true #1 is when they can be relied on almost every game to put in a good performance over the span of years.  Elite goalies do that too, but steal games for you regularly as well.

Markstrom is not and will never be a high end goalie imo.  But he is playing with confidence now and if he keeps it up he is a comfortable stop gap until we see something higher level from Demko or Dipietro.

There really has been a buzz about Markstrom's play of late but I'm not buying into the fanfare quite yet.  I will add, however, that we have great goalie prospects as well and if we end up with a surplus of quality goalies that bodes very well from both a trade fodder perspective as well as havimg a tandem that can be relied on.

To me, it is hard to win in the playoffs without having an elite goaltender. So man I hope we have one in the mix; Markstrom isn't it.

The thing for me is that Markstrom, since his bad run in November ended, has looked a lot more solid and comfortable.  He's never fighting the puck these days like he was before.  This is just good solid form and I think Ian Clark is a major reason why.  On the other hand there's a guy like Mike Smith.  He had a good year last year, but if you watch him in games, he's flopping all over the place and looks like a terrible goaltender.  Luck can hold up for awhile for a guy like him, but eventually his poor form comes back to haunt him.  Markstrom has looked super solid and it seems like nothing these days is getting passed him besides a one timer or a very good deflection.

• Cheers 1

I'm not denying Marky has looked good lately.  He stole the game for us tonight too.  I'm just saying he is generating a lot of hype lately and I think it is a little early to get all giddy about him turning the corner when his improvement streak is still quite short.

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm not denying Marky has looked good lately.  He stole the game for us tonight too.  I'm just saying he is generating a lot of hype lately and I think it is a little early to get all giddy about him turning the corner when his improvement streak is still quite short.

His improvement started at the beginning of the season.... 50 games ago.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

His improvement started at the beginning of the season.... 50 games ago.

...and yet he still sits this season as having the worst save % of his Canuck career playing more than 4 games. That is good enough improvement for you?

Edited by kloubek

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

...and yet he still sits this season as having the worst save % of his Canuck career playing more than 4 games. That is good enough improvement for you?

Most of that poor save percentage is from that 10 game stretch back in November when the team was limping along without nearly all their defense and most of their key defensive forwards.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

If you just look at his mannerisms in the crease you know he has improved.  Far more efficient in his movement, looks his size and isn’t a spaz.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Since December 1st:

image.png.f54b481f03d8f8c402506599e907b083.png

That's why everyone is so impressed by Markstrom. #1 goalie numbers over a 20+ game stretch now, hope it continues!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

To me, it is hard to win in the playoffs without having an elite goaltender. So man I hope we have one in the mix; Markstrom isn't it I don't think.

One final note, and a caveat to my position: Nilsson is playing far better in Ottawa.  One has to wonder how much our D drags our goalies down...

Even when we had an elite goaltender in Lou our defence has always been bad. Our D always had the go ahead to pinch since everyone except Daniel couldnt just burn goalies by himself. We gave Chicago like 3 or 4 breakaways a period in our playoff series, that should be like one breakaway allowed per game or zero.  And we somehow still blamed Lou for our Chicago losses. 

As as far as Markstrom is concerned. Yes, he could be a Cam Talbot or a hellabuck one season wonder. But he looks good and Ian Clark is luongo’s fave coach. If Ian Clark is the bill belicheck of goalie coaches, Markstrom should be legit this good.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 8:46 AM, Twilight Sparkle said:

it's probably one of the worst injury plagued seasons this team's had in its history, and we just got through november, yet this team's still toiling at .500 and the team around him's playing the best they can at this level, given what they have, and the injuries in play, or guys still playing hurt. we as fans arent privy to everything.

And our D has been useless for how many yrs now? 

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

I’ve been critical of Markstrom in the past; and also quick to point out that he was once considered the best goalie prospect in the world, and for some time had that mantle (Demko and Diepetro fawning should come with some realism) for several years.  He took some time to gain traction,  and he’s definitely stealing games for us.  I agree that the sample size isn’t big enough, but he’s done enough to be a number one in this league at least for now.   Elite?  Well nope he’s not, at least not yet and probably never.  There’s a reason that the Vezina has a lot of different names on it and that it’s hard to win more than a couple, it’s the same one that makes picking your fantasy goalies difficult and that you wait as long as possible to do so in a snake draft despite the best ones often near the top of fantasy scoring.  Every year someone else wins it or is a finalist (which makes Hasek all the more immortal), a few years ago Price won the Hart too and now... we’ll he’s playing better but still closer to like the last goalie to win the Hart did, other than when he won the Hart, than elite (what’s his name again? exactly who remembers ), so defining elite is hard to do.  Bobrovsky is elite, he has a couple Vezinas over the last few years now but he’s playing pretty average these days.  I’d say any number one can win the cup as long as they are HOT, and Markstrom is Hot enough to be keeping us in a playoff hunt now.  When Schneider was traded everyone in the hockey world thought he was a top ten if not a top five goalie.  Half a decade later in what should be his money years he can’t win a game and hasn’t since 2017.   Hammond in OTT a few years back won 22 consecutive games to start his career....makes Hart’s little run in PHI look funny, and can’t make it as a back-up now.  Consistency is likely the hardest thing to find in goalies, if you get one that is like Luongo, Lundqvist, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Furh etc...well they are all HHOFers (or will be).    Murray won a couple cups recently and I wouldn’t call him elite.   I do think we need top ten goaltending to win though, or a hot one.

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

If you just look at his mannerisms in the crease you know he has improved.  Far more efficient in his movement, looks his size and isn’t a spaz.

How true.  Laughed because, well before at times he did look like a spaz as you pointed out.

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

He played the first two months with a sub-.900 SP which dug him a pretty big hole.  Since early Dec. that all changed, and there was an article at the time explaining how with a new goalie coach and systems in play it takes 4-6 weeks for those changes to seep in, instead of relying on years of automatic moves that he used in the past, and that for goalies it usually meant some regression before the benefits started to appear.  Good thing he stuck to it, because since then he’s been dynamite, so good in fact I’d say he’s responsible for more points in the standings than anyone else including EP.  

• Upvote 2

Well it seems I'm one of the few remaining nay sayers about Markstrom.  Even the panel "experts" are taking notice of him so I admit I may not know what I'm talking about.  

Again, not dismissing his recent play - he looks better and is winning games for us.  I just hope it lasts.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:59 PM, kloubek said:

I think you already answered your own question:

On 2/9/2019 at 11:00 PM, kloubek said:

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2019 at 7:39 AM, kloubek said:

Well it seems I'm one of the few remaining nay sayers about Markstrom.  Even the panel "experts" are taking notice of him so I admit I may not know what I'm talking about.  

Again, not dismissing his recent play - he looks better and is winning games for us.  I just hope it lasts.

This is it! So many over the years have an amazing half season or full season... then turn average again. Really hoping Markstrom has hit the magic point where he is a starter for good!