The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid or Petterson & Horvat

Nucks89

You cannot survive in this league without depth down the middle. This is a no brainer, definitely a no.

The more interesting conversation is Horvat + Boeser for McDavid.

I think I would strongly consider doing that. It would potentially give us two top 5 centers in their prime for the next decade or so.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Again, that’s stupid.  

Who is going to pick the one player?   

Would you rather have Teows and Kane, or Crosby?      But what about Malkin?   

Its dumb.   

Obviously anyone one would rather have an elite player in EP combo with a great two way player in Bo.  

McDavid is super overrated.  He is great, but there are a hundred two player combos out there I’d rather have.  

this is dumb.   

I do agree, I would pick Horvat and Pettersson no doubt.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

You cannot survive in this league without depth down the middle. This is a no brainer, definitely a no.

The more interesting conversation is Horvat + Boeser for McDavid.

I think I would strongly consider doing that. It would potentially give us two top 5 centers in their prime for the next decade or so.

You bugger

I love both of those guys, but I'm totally pulling the trigger on that trade, even though I think Connor is reckless and will inevitability wreck himself bad because he's just too damn fast when carrying the puck.

The fact that Petey will out point McDavid in the near future makes this topic obsolete. Maybe it should be titled Petey or Mcdavid. Then that's fair. But man I have never seen a rookie with so many "wow" moments or sheer highlights in a short career! Almost everything Petey does is "wow".And McDavid is sheer speed! So would you rather watch 100 plus points on sheer speed? Or would you rather have a 100 plus points of makes every one around him dangerous! Its a valid topic then. But for the record I pick Petey because it probably be 150 plus points!

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

For stRters, ?Mathews is better than ?McDavid,  bo and Petey are better than both,  that’s a no brainer.  Heck, Petey, in a year, will be the best offensive player in the league, and ?Both is the Selkewonner.  Hello Stanley ?Cup!

Anyone thinking Elias doesn't have a shot at being the best player in the world are not paying attention. Their not comparing stats nor are they watching the highlights. Elias is dong it on probably the worst 30 game schedule the Canucks have ever had with the least amount of time off compared to any modern era player. And you can't even factor in learning a new position that he hasn't played pro at. (Maybe 3 games) I know other teams are worried, as well as eastern media that the Canucks could make a deal that makes them  competitive now. Why else would the media be so vested in their opinion about the nucks, because they look like fools if this team does well!

Great post BTW!

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

The fact that Petey will out point McDavid in the near future makes this topic obsolete. Maybe it should be titled Petey or Mcdavid. Then that's fair. But man I have never seen a rookie with so many "wow" moments or sheer highlights in a short career! Almost everything Petey does is "wow".And McDavid is sheer speed! So would you rather watch 100 plus points on sheer speed? Or would you rather have a 100 plus points of makes every one around him dangerous! Its a valid topic then. But for the record I pick Petey because it probably be 150 plus points!

Maybe you should watch some youtube highlights 

They both have dazzling goals, true one is done much faster

It's like putting down Orr because others couldn't stick handle and  have the hockey iq at the speed he did

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Maybe you should watch some youtube highlights 

They both have dazzling goals, true one is done much faster

It's like putting down Orr because others couldn't stick handle and  have the hockey iq at the speed he did

I am just talking rookie season! Tru McDavid had some nice goals and plays but I think Hands down so far in year 1 for sheer highlight properties!

You be the judge Elias hasn't played 45 games yet and already has more awesomeness than McDavid had in his rookie season. Hey just saying!

3 hours ago, Honeydew said:

Petey and Bo leading us

To the promise land 

Never have I 

Been so confident in our team

Our rebuild is nearly complete. 

We just need a righty dman

That righty that can blast

The puck into

The Net.

I can't help but notice it... why is your post in the shape of a butt plug?

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

You bugger

I love both of those guys, but I'm totally pulling the trigger on that trade, even though I think Connor is reckless and will inevitability wreck himself bad because he's just too damn fast when carrying the puck.

I honestly wouldn't do that trade... Horvat/Brock for McDavid. 

Horvat is a CHAMP! He's the kind of player you win championships with. 

Brock has proven already, and will be an elite scorer in this league. 

I say NO. 

4 hours ago, Roberts said:

because you're comparing possibly the best player in the world to two skilled players

Best offensive player.  There are at least a 1/2 dozen centers with better overall game that I'd rather have come playoffs. McDiva will be a regular season god but in that city and with the perpetual management of failures.....  that might end up being it other than team Canada results. 

5 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

Would you rather have a guy who can be the best in the game (Along with Matthews). Or would you take two very very good players in Petterson & Bo?

My belief is that depth is key in the NHL.  I became even more convinced of this last year when Vegas blitzed the NHL and made an unexpected run to the cup.

The NHL isn’t necessarily about who has the best players.  It’s about who has the best players at the best long term cap hits in the most important positions.

Case in point:  Crosby and Ovechkin have been the two best players in the NHL for 10+ years and yet Chicago and LA were the kinpins of the NHL from 2010-2015.  Why?  Because cap hits are key.......when you have great long term cap hits, you can have the budget to have depth on other lines.

Chicago and LA only started to go south once Kane, Toews, and Kopitar received contracts north of 10 million.

In many ways, I think Nathan Mackinnon, Victor Hedman, and Mark Schiefele are the most valuable players in the NHL right now (I would include Matthews here, but he will receive a huge contract after this year).

So - a season it relates to the topic at hand:  My answer is as follows:   It really depends on what Pettersson’s cap hit will be after his ELC expires.  Right now, I would easily rather have our guys.  In the future however, if Pettersson gets over 10 million, perhaps I would lean more towards McDavid, but we still don’t know as to how good Pettersson will be.  What we’re seeing from Pettersson right now might only be tip of the iceberg stuff.  :D

Based on this analysis is our window in the next few years with pettersson still on a low cap hit? Should we “go for it” with big signings? Once Pettersson gets his 10+million contract we might be tight against the cap to make a splash? 

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Again, that’s stupid.  

Its dumb.   

Obviously anyone one would rather have an elite player in EP combo with a great two way player in Bo.  

McDavid is super overrated.  He is great, but there are a hundred two player combos out there I’d rather have.  

this is dumb.   

Not trying to be a dick. IMHO I would take Crosby over Teows and Kane. Again just MY opinion. But I know what your saying.

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Again, that’s stupid.  

Its dumb.   

this is dumb.   

I would have chosen Toews and Kane over Crosby before Kane and Toews got their new 10 million+ contracts.

Archived