The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid or Petterson & Horvat

Nucks89

On 12/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, spook007 said:

Sedins did not want to be traded. Nobody knows how much they werecasked about this. Saying one thing in the press and what goes on behind the scenes doesn’t always match up. 

I think Benning did, what he could with the hand, he was dealt... 

anyway I agree we need a fee more pieces, but if Trym comes back I would settle for a big tough forward... santa I’m taking to you...

in a few years when BB and EP matures together with hopefully Hughes, I think we have a very good chance...

If vegas ciuls get so close with that team last year...  any team can do it

Tough call. Hard to say no to the best player in the game, but if Pettersson is able to score nearly as many points as McDavid in a given season (let's say anywhere between 80-110 in his prime) and Horvat as our no 2 and putting up 60-80 points a season, it's hard to think of too many teams that will be set up better than us moving forward.

One thing is for sure. Edmonton would be tickled pink if they had a center like Horvat playing behind McDavid.

The problem with the Oilers is not McDavid... it is the supporting cast.

McDavid right now is a better offensive player than Petey.... and its not just McDavid vs Petey/Bo... its McDavid/Draisaitl vs Petey/Bo/Boeser.  Canucks have three genuine stars versus two genuine stars... one of whom is the best player in the league.

Oilers have no other lines which are scoring other than McDavid's... and to make matters worse, their defense is as bad or worse than the Canucks.

The Oiler downfall started with the Hall trade for Larssen.... and then the acquiring of Lucic.  Oilers would be a different team with Hall still around.  Even if they needed to trade Draisaitl, they should have kept Hall.  And then you can go on about the others they let get away and their failures to make trades for defense who are legitimate.

This is a Canucks Forum were you put our two best players (arguably) against the best player on the enemy squad, then ask us to choose?

Either you are an Edmonton sympathiser or your on a not so covert mission to find moles in the system.

The easy math aside, it is such a lopsided comparison that it further states my point above.

Would you rather have Schaller or Gagner? this is a real canuck problem.

5 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

This is a Canucks Forum were you put our two best players (arguably) against the best player on the enemy squad, then ask us to choose?

Either you are an Edmonton sympathiser or your on a not so covert mission to find moles in the system.

The easy math aside, it is such a lopsided comparison that it further states my point above.

Would you rather have Schaller or Gagner? this is a real canuck problem.

Let's make it Canuck friendly then.

Bure or Naslund and Linden?

10 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Let's make it Canuck friendly then.

Bure or Naslund and Linden?

Lol another equally  stupid question but more appropriate ;)

It is like asking a parent which of the 2 triplet babies they will give for adoption

Speaking of parents,

I was just reminded of when I was young and upset at my dad and thought I was smart saying

"If you didn't want kids, why did you have me"?

My dad replied "Son, we always wanted a kid, we just didn't know it would be,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU'

I didn't think the remark was funny then (like I do now) and never said it again

15 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The problem with the Oilers is not McDavid... it is the supporting cast.

McDavid right now is a better offensive player than Petey.... and its not just McDavid vs Petey/Bo... its McDavid/Draisaitl vs Petey/Bo/Boeser.  Canucks have three genuine stars versus two genuine stars... one of whom is the best player in the league.

Oilers have no other lines which are scoring other than McDavid's... and to make matters worse, their defense is as bad or worse than the Canucks.

The Oiler downfall started with the Hall trade for Larssen.... and then the acquiring of Lucic.  Oilers would be a different team with Hall still around.  Even if they needed to trade Draisaitl, they should have kept Hall.  And then you can go on about the others they let get away and their failures to make trades for defense who are legitimate.

Lucic's contract is a complete joke.  even if it was 3/4 years it would be passable but the way it is now is just ridiculous.  they will HAVE to buy him out evenutally.

McDavid and Draisaitl = EP and BB.  At least in my mind they are close enough that there wouldn't be a huge falloff if one team switched them.  EP and BB have to show more history first of course, but so far they are looking good.

Beyond that, BH > RNH.  How is that for a #1 pick?  The oilers got lucky with McD, but man did they get unlucky with their other #1 picks.  Not their fault but man... they just haven't worked out at the level everyone thought they should.

but I agree - the defense is the major problem with the Oil.  Imagine them with Nashville's defense?  This is the reason that I don't mind losing out on Tkachuck and getting OJ - at least the team had the guts to actually draft a d-man high, twice in the last few years.  That will pay off.  The oil have not done that in recent memory and are drafting poorly compared to the nucks.

Prescription for the Oil - they can be competitive for a cup again by:

1. Buy out Lucic

2. build the defense somehow, and not on a stupid trade like Larson.  They need to draft D and in a few years it could work out for them.

53 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Lucic's contract is a complete joke.  even if it was 3/4 years it would be passable but the way it is now is just ridiculous.  they will HAVE to buy him out evenutally.

McDavid and Draisaitl = EP and BB.  At least in my mind they are close enough that there wouldn't be a huge falloff if one team switched them.  EP and BB have to show more history first of course, but so far they are looking good.

Beyond that, BH > RNH.  How is that for a #1 pick?  The oilers got lucky with McD, but man did they get unlucky with their other #1 picks.  Not their fault but man... they just haven't worked out at the level everyone thought they should.

but I agree - the defense is the major problem with the Oil.  Imagine them with Nashville's defense?  This is the reason that I don't mind losing out on Tkachuck and getting OJ - at least the team had the guts to actually draft a d-man high, twice in the last few years.  That will pay off.  The oil have not done that in recent memory and are drafting poorly compared to the nucks.

Prescription for the Oil - they can be competitive for a cup again by:

1. Buy out Lucic

2. build the defense somehow, and not on a stupid trade like Larson.  They need to draft D and in a few years it could work out for them.

I can remember a lot of people on here excited to bring the homeboy Lucic to Vancouver

I wasn't one of them

How would him and that contract look on our team now?

We have already been paying Lou to play for another team for years already

3 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Lol another equally  stupid question but more appropriate ;)

It is like asking a parent which of the 2 triplet babies they will give for adoption

Speaking of parents,

I was just reminded of when I was young and upset at my dad and thought I was smart saying

"If you didn't want kids, why did you have me"?

My dad replied "Son, we always wanted a kid, we just didn't know it would be,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU'

I didn't think the remark was funny then (like I do now) and never said it again

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. ;)

On 12/24/2018 at 7:24 PM, drummerboy said:

It should be Draisaitl McDavid vs Pettersson Horvat.  

That is their real 1-2.  

Why do we get 1-2 and they only get 1?  

Thats a stupid question.  

No, it shouldn't because Draisaitl can't even stick as the second line center. If anything, it would be Pettersson and Boeser vs McDavid and Draisaitl.

23 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I can remember a lot of people on here excited to bring the homeboy Lucic to Vancouver

I wasn't one of them

How would him and that contract look on our team now?

We have already been paying Lou to play for another team for years already

Some believe that in order for the Leafs to get over the playoff hump, they need a Lucic on the team.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:05 PM, canucksnihilist said:

Let's not blow things out of proportion but McDavid > Pettersson and I think having Draisitl would be a better asset than Boeser. 

Draisitl puts up more points than Boeser and can play center. The possibility to play center gives Draisitl the edge.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:00 PM, The Great Canucks said:

No, it shouldn't because Draisaitl can't even stick as the second line center. If anything, it would be Pettersson and Boeser vs McDavid and Draisaitl.

Draisaitl can stick as the #2 center it's just the Oilers have nothing when it comes to wingers. So they are forced to use him as a winger. 

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Let's not blow things out of proportion but McDavid > Pettersson and I think having Draisitl would be a better asset than Boeser. 

Draisitl puts up more points than Boeser and can play center. The possibility to play center gives Draisitl the edge.

Sure lets wait and see.  but the stats say:  Mcdavid first year:  48 points in 45 games.  with an injury.  EP has had an injury too.  I would say they are comparable.  McDavid can do things at a high speed that nobody else can do - but he lacks in other parts of his game (such as any 2-way play).  EP is more crafty and has a better shot.

I don't see McDavid or Crosby as that far above anyone in this set of players (current nhl).  I know we WANT them to be generational, but the reality is they are just elite awesome players, but not generational.

but the point is it isn't a huge dropoff between those 2 sets of players, based on the last 50 games they have all played healthy.  Certainly the stats support it.  we need to see how the next few years go of course.  

On 12/24/2018 at 10:39 PM, Nucks89 said:

Would you rather have a guy who can be the best in the game (Along with Matthews). Or would you take two very very good players in Petterson & Bo?

For the price, OUR GUYS!!  Bo's contract is a a steal.  Hope the rest of our boys look at the spoilers/coilers and what happens when guys ask for the moon.  How is Chicago looking with the massive Kane and Toews contracts? 

Bo wants to win.  He is going to be rich and have an awesome life, is a few more million going to be better for him, or becoming a champion in Vancouver.  

If EP40 signs for 7 million  till FA and Brock signs for 6.  Thats three great young first liners for 18 m.  That gives us alot more bang for the buck than McJesus and Leon for 20.  This gives the Canucks the money to sign a solid bottom six player and have four well assigned roster spots that will produce far more total points and better depth.  

Look at that same model vs the hawks.  23m for Kane and Toews.  I get it, this is also payment for services rendered.  Sure, but looks bad atm, plus the coilers have paid for a service and haven't been getting it yet.  

If our big 3 can buy in, it will influence others.  Hopefully Hughes, Woo, Virtannen, Demko a and Guadette are among those players.  

Can someone please post this question on the Edmonton board, " Leon and Connor or Bo and Elias?"  I want to see the meltdown as the coilers realize that their management failed to capitalize on the young phenomenon player they have and have ruined their cap to boot.  

Good times. 

On 12/24/2018 at 9:39 PM, Nucks89 said:

Would you rather have a guy who can be the best in the game (Along with Matthews). Or would you take two very very good players in Petterson & Bo?

Depends on the perspective.

Seeing McDavid play is no doubt a great ticket if you’re an Oilers fan. However, it seems that McDavid is a huge solution to a sinking ship. Fortunately for them, Chiarelli did a couple of moves to better compete with its main foes; the Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks. As a Canucks fan I welcome whatever fundamental improvements that franchise does. I’ll watch good even hard earned, energetic hockey any day.

If you’re a Canucks fan, you’ve got a team already as exciting if not more than the Sedin Era and the Linden/ Bure Era, led by Pettersson who is compared to Gretzky and a slam dunk for all available hardware this season, on National TV on a Saturday night where the Canucks beat the top Western Conference leading Flames taking them down to second in the West. Cool kid comes out with a goal.

On National TV.

He’s arrived.

Next to make a grand appearance, is our number one defenseman, Quinn Hughes.

Whoever Benning choses in the draft, especially in the first round, is going to have a great career and is going to be a great player. Most times anyways.

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

For the price, OUR GUYS!!  Bo's contract is a a steal.  Hope the rest of our boys look at the spoilers/coilers and what happens when guys ask for the moon.  How is Chicago looking with the massive Kane and Toews contracts? 

Bo wants to win.  He is going to be rich and have an awesome life, is a few more million going to be better for him, or becoming a champion in Vancouver.  

If EP40 signs for 7 million  till FA and Brock signs for 6.  Thats three great young first liners for 18 m.  That gives us alot more bang for the buck than McJesus and Leon for 20.  This gives the Canucks the money to sign a solid bottom six player and have four well assigned roster spots that will produce far more total points and better depth.  

Look at that same model vs the hawks.  23m for Kane and Toews.  I get it, this is also payment for services rendered.  Sure, but looks bad atm, plus the coilers have paid for a service and haven't been getting it yet.  

If our big 3 can buy in, it will influence others.  Hopefully Hughes, Woo, Virtannen, Demko a and Guadette are among those players.  

Can someone please post this question on the Edmonton board, " Leon and Connor or Bo and Elias?"  I want to see the meltdown as the coilers realize that their management failed to capitalize on the young phenomenon player they have and have ruined their cap to boot.  

Good times. 

Bo's contract is a steal... and may need to be re-negotiated if the bonuses are not good enough.

By the way, Elias will not be signing for $7 million... more like $8.5 - $9.5

Brock will be $7.5-$8.5

15 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Bo's contract is a steal... and may need to be re-negotiated if the bonuses are not good enough.

By the way, Elias will not be signing for $7 million... more like $8.5 - $9.5

Brock will be $7.5-$8.5

Brock will sign for 7, okay, Elias will sign for 8.5.  Those are still bargains.  I think Brock would be more likely to take a home town discount.  

Still those are steal contracts.  Media speculation has Tkachuk aiming for 9m per season.   

If our big three guys sign club friendly deals, look out.  Ep40 will be a 100pt player and Brock will score 40g, not this season but as early as next year.  

Archived