The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Nope.  Graphic depiction of a local sea mammal.  Also includes native artwork.

Johnny Canuck is a political cartoon hero (not necessarily a lumberjack) and later turned into a WW2 hero.

The Johnny Canuck iteration used by the team is a lumberjack which ties into the importance of the forestry industry and the fact that the term ‘Canuck’ is speculated to have derived originally from woodsmen. 

The Orca is as much a “cartoon” as Johnny is a “graphical depiction”. You’re just being pedantic about it.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet the team went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Recently drafted some of the best talents in ages.

Every jersey made it to the Finals for the exception of the Stick in Rink. 

Downhill skate shows some of the highest highs, and the lowest lows. I NEVER miss it. 

Sadly there is no consensus on what our jersey should be. And this argument gets revived every 6 months. 

If it were to be averaged I believe we're looking at a per month quota.

That said

Stick in rink

(300 times)

Edited by luckylager
Want to light my phone on fire
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet the team went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Recently drafted some of the best talents in ages.

Every jersey made it to the Finals for the exception of the Stick in Rink. 

Downhill skate shows some of the highest highs, and the lowest lows. I NEVER miss it. 

Sadly there is no consensus on what our jersey should be. And this argument gets revived every 6 months. 

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hence the problem. How do you symbolize a Canuck?

Calgary and Montreal already have C variants. Another one would look like we're copycats. 

If you look around the city there's lots of Orca references, and it's a part of our tourism. 

Like it or not, Orca's are as much as the BC coast as Salmon, Seagulls, Bears, and Cougars. 

Orca references in Vancouver are a result of desperation by the city's tourism industry. The City of Vancouver was built on the lumber industry and it's an industry that stems decades in BC history. That's why the lumberjack version of Johnny Canuck was created for the Pacific Coast/Western League Canucks. That's why the team was called "Canucks".

The Orca's early years came during the Mark Messier era, which was the darkest era in Canucks history other than the mid 80's. There was the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore saga and Luongo's  playoff choke job years.

The Stick in Rink was never given a chance to see playoff success. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Stick in Rink was never given a chance to see playoff success. 

Yah, think how unlucky that logo was to not even see the playoffs.  Definitely should not be using it.

On a side note then, another unpopular opinion, I just never have liked the stick in rink logo.  I'm a younger Canuck fan who has grown up with solely the Orca, but going from a non sentimental perspective, I just thought the stick in rink was really ugly and boring. The flying skate was awesome, and the Orca was awesome.  I especially liked the black jerseys from back in 2005-06.  Yes, I know that jersey is associated with the Messier era, but those were some pretty sweet jerseys, and most Canucks fans my age that I know agree with me.

• Upvote 2

We have one of the ugliest jerseys in the league .....id rather they change em, or change the color or something, i think its the blue/green ......im not sure, but i wont buy one as i think they nasty aswell.......maybe our lovely canucks should maybe go back to the old black/orange/yellow, which seem very popular among voters who made a poll not long ago ....i just really hate out jerseys, i dont mind the orca, just the colors :( and it sucks everyone in the league/fans think our jerseys are fugly.

• Wat 2

3 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

We have one of the ugliest jerseys in the league .....id rather they change em, or change the color or something, i think its the blue/green ......im not sure, but i wont buy one as i think they nasty aswell.......maybe our lovely canucks should maybe go back to the old black/orange/yellow, which seem very popular among voters who made a poll not long ago ....i just really hate out jerseys, i dont mind the orca, just the colors :( and it sucks everyone in the league/fans think our jerseys are fugly.

I don't understand why people think these jerseys are ugly.  I love these jersey colours more than probably any we've had in history.  There's only a few jerseys in the league that I like better than the Canucks, but I think a lot of the league's fans are a bit older and old fashioned.  For example, so many people love the Ottawa O jerseys.  I hate them, they're ugly and old and represent how many cups they have.  Their red home jersey with a sentinel on the front I think is the second best in the league behind the Colorado Avalanche home jerseys.

6 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

A logo is supposed to represent the team name, not the region. It was inspired by the Orca Bay ownership. 

In spite of the West Coast Express and Sedin eras, there has been terrible luck:

1. Ohlund's eye injury in practice. This injury hampered his offensive maximum potential.

2. Naslund breaking his leg in Buffalo in 2001 while enjoying a career year. Lost for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

3. Cloutier's 2002 gaffe vs Lidstrom in the playoffs.

4. Luongo's choke jobs and meltdowns in the playoffs.

5. Boeser crashing into the open side of the gateway to the Canucks' bench, therefore ending his season and costing him the club rookie records for goals and points and the likely, the Calder.

signing messier    cant forget  that one

• Upvote 2

I'm guessing it just stick in rink jerseys being used for the 50th season. It's possible they might be moving away from green and blue for the Seattle team (long shot but you never know) or just removing the 'VANCOUVER' writing that honestly was just a copy of the 'DALLAS' writing on the Stars jerseys of the mid-00s.

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

nSo you propose the team change their name from "Canucks" to "Orcas"?

Can we have a referendum? 

It will be something like-

A- No Change

B- Change

If voting  'B', with 1-3 in order of priority, please check your boxes in order unless you only really want change, pick one. I'm not confused, you're confused. Just pick one, two, or three. 

1) Orca on a black and yellow skate riding a stick.

2) Jonny Canuck wearing black and yellow skates whilst riding an orca across a rink with a stick in it

3) A giant V with an orca jumping over it, Vancouver tattooed on the chest of Jonny Canuck (who's chopping down on the orca from above)

Hmmmm... This seems familiar

I prefer the johnny canuck riding the orcra while the orca bites  the stick ala san jose sharks 

Edited by the grinder
spelling

12 minutes ago, luckylager said:

So you propose the team change their name from "Canucks" to "Orcas"?

Can we have a referendum? 

It will be something like-

A- No Change

B- Change

If voting  'B', with 1-3 in order of priority, please check your boxes in order unless you only really want change, pick one. I'm not confused, you're confused. Just pick one, two, or three. 

1) Orca on a black and yellow skate riding a stick.

2) Jonny Canuck wearing black and yellow skates whilst riding an orca across a rink with a stick in it

3) A giant V with an orca jumping over it, Vancouver tattooed on the chest of Jonny Canuck (who's chopping down on the orca from above)

Hmmmm... This seems familiar

One,Two and Three are all good choices but if I had to pick one - number one because Orcas as I found out tonight are an assassin whale.

Any word with ass ( assassin ) in it twice gets my vote everytime.

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I'm guessing it just stick in rink jerseys being used for the 50th season. It's possible they might be moving away from green and blue for the Seattle team (long shot but you never know) or just removing the 'VANCOUVER' writing that honestly was just a copy of the 'DALLAS' writing on the Stars jerseys of the mid-00s.

Sad thing is they probably paid some designer person 6 figures to make that change...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

A logo is supposed to represent the team name, not the region. It was inspired by the Orca Bay ownership. 

In spite of the West Coast Express and Sedin eras, there has been terrible luck:

1. Ohlund's eye injury in practice. This injury hampered his offensive maximum potential.

2. Naslund breaking his leg in Buffalo in 2001 while enjoying a career year. Lost for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

3. Cloutier's 2002 gaffe vs Lidstrom in the playoffs.

4. Luongo's choke jobs and meltdowns in the playoffs.

5. Boeser crashing into the open side of the gateway to the Canucks' bench, therefore ending his season and costing him the club rookie records for goals and points and the likely, the Calder.

Right...and the current logo/uniforms were the cause of these mishaps.  Thanks for the laughs.  Good one.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

15 minutes ago, luckylager said:

See, I could get down with that option, but I don't know the colour scheme.

So, no. 

Not on the ballot

Can you add your sig to the ballot? Nothing says "Canuck" more than a couple of hosers like Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Bob and Doug >>>>>>>> than current Johnny Canuck skating on his toes with a stick in his hand like he's the grand marshal for the Vancouver Pride parade.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Vancouver Giants lumberjack would lay a serious smack down on the Canucks' Johnny Canuck.

• Wat 1