The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

Did not scroll through all 19 pages of this scintillating discussion so my apologies if this has been posted before.  But I think this is the best design I've ever seen:

image.png.24ab8d30f28e1747f706ad1b814485ac.png

image.png.a2f5be2dce170133f0731498431b80d3.png

You have Johnny Canuck from his war pilot days, the V collar from the Flying V, and the stick in rink in the goggles.  Could do another stick in rink patch on the shoulders.  

Or could do stick in rink as the main logo, and this Johnny Canuck as the shoulder patch.  Use JC as the crest for the third jersey, maybe in green. 

Rotate in the orca, without the Vancouver lettering, every five years (55th anniversary, 60th anniversary, etc), as the third jersey or special edition jersey.  Then we can keep Finn as the mascot for the kids.

The current Johnny would be great for a farm team if we ever relocate one to the Pacific Northwest.  It's just too cartoonish for the big club. 

I love the flying skate but it has zero symbolism -- no connections to the Canucks, Vancouver or B.C.  If you changed the Canucks lettering to Flames, you could plaster it onto their jerseys and make it work.  IMO it's best to keep the flying skate and the millionaires jersey for special occasions -- throwback night, Winter Classic, etc.   

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Did not scroll through all 19 pages of this scintillating discussion so my apologies if this has been posted before.  But I think this is the best design I've ever seen:

You have Johnny Canuck from his war pilot days, the V collar from the Flying V, and the stick in rink in the goggles.  Could do another stick in rink patch on the shoulders.  

Or could do stick in rink as the main logo, and this Johnny Canuck as the shoulder patch.  Use JC as the crest for the third jersey, maybe in green. 

Rotate in the orca, without the Vancouver lettering, every five years (55th anniversary, 60th anniversary, etc), as the third jersey or special edition jersey.  Then we can keep Finn as the mascot for the kids.

The current Johnny would be great for a farm team if we ever relocate one to the Pacific Northwest.  It's just too cartoonish for the big club. 

I love the flying skate but it has zero symbolism -- no connections to the Canucks, Vancouver or B.C.  If you changed the Canucks lettering to Flames, you could plaster it onto their jerseys and make it work.  IMO it's best to keep the flying skate and the millionaires jersey for special occasions -- throwback night, Winter Classic, etc.   

You're god damned right! Someone get this to Aqualini asap!

I agree 100% on that jersey design above. Love the small number on the front shoulder. The blue and green remain, which is good. Love the logo, makes much more sense. Do it before Seattle steals the colour scheme and design. 

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

this concept is what you see in the ECHL, sucks

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2018 at 3:43 PM, Squamfan said:

https://www.icethetics.co/jerseywatch/

Per icethics Canucks are getting new Jersey next year.

019 HOME & ROAD JERSEYS: Expected. After the Blackhawks, the other big surprise from the Adidas catalog was seeing new primary sweaters listed for the Canucks in 2019-20! It’s unclear whether the Canucks are working on sweeping changes or maybe just updating the crest to remove the superfluous “Vancouver” arched across the top. But I also wouldn’t be that shocked to see a new primary logo to coincide with the 50th anniversary.

Finally and hopefully. Because that just makes no sense. The “Vancouver” part. Makes us look like a tourist attraction; not a hockey team.

And hey. If they really wanted to... I wouldn’t mind:

6639E29F-0EF0-4780-BB39-54E02BDB71F5.jpeg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Borvat said:

Because it will create income/revenue.  Aquilini should go with the new version the "Vancouver Billionaires"  It may bring some luck.

That would be arrogant to the extreme. I don’t think they would be safe out there.

Edited by Me_

On 12/26/2018 at 2:13 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

We can agree to disagree. I wouldn't call the orca bad luck... we have had our most successful hockey with that uniform. And ya, orca bay doesnt own anymore but the orca is still very much a symbol of the north pacific and the west coast.

Symbol of the west coast?  So are cedar trees, salmon, rain and the ocean, but they have nothing to do with a Canuck and don't belong on the uniform.    

The logo should match the nickname and a whale is not a Canuck.  EVERY other team in the NHL has a logo that fits the team name or city.  Except us...we still cling to a corporate symbol of the previous owner.  What a piece of crap.  

Johnny Canuck or the Stick and Rink.   I ain't buying anything else.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

Symbol of the west coast?  So are cedar trees, salmon, rain and the ocean, but they have nothing to do with a Canuck and don't belong on the uniform.    

The logo should match the nickname and a whale is not a Canuck.  EVERY other team in the NHL has a logo that fits the team name or city.  Except us...we still cling to a corporate symbol of the previous owner.  What a piece of crap.  

what about montreal or boston?

5 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

How the hell does the stick in rink have more to do with this franchise/City than the Orca?

Show me one cartoon logo anywhere that looks good.  That's what JC Is.  A ****in cartoon.  JC does not fit as a front Crest logo.  A secondary logo used for helmets or shoulder patches,  sure.  But as the main identity of this franchise and city?  Absolutely not.

Look at the Senators logo.  Just of a dudes face.  Its horrendous.  That's the territory we would be in using JC as a front Crest.

The orca will remain the identity of this franchise,  as it should.  You can try and twist and construe it as a "Corporate logo" all you want,  doesn't make it the truth!

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, tas said:

what about montreal or boston?

Oh but he said since we have cedar trees and rain and salmon and we dont only have Orcas here exclusively we cant use the orca as a logo!

Lightning is exclusive only to Tampa bay,  that's why they got to use the logo,  hurricanes ONLY happen is Carolina so thats totally cool.  The only place on earth with Oil is Edmonton.

Toronto is the only place on earth with Maple leaves, 

In buffalo if you've ever visited,  theres nothing there but Sabres laying everywhere.  Very dangerous place to be.  Trip and fall and you've got a sword stuck in you instantly.

The anti orca group are absolutely ridiculous with some of their arguments.

I get going with a logo that matches your nickname,  but it's also ok to go with a logo that matches your location.  A cartoon character is not an identity I ever want this franchise to have as the main identifier.  Secondary logo is fine.  3rd Jersey,  fine,  shoulder patch on primary jerseys?  Fine!

Front Crest.  NO!

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Oh but he said since we have cedar trees and rain and salmon and we dont only have Orcas here exclusively we cant use the orca as a logo!

Lightning is exclusive only to Tampa bay,  that's why they got to use the logo,  hurricanes ONLY happen is Carolina so thats totally cool.  The only place on earth with Oil is Edmonton.

In buffalo if you've ever visited,  theres nothing there but Sabres laying everywhere.  Very dangerous place to be.  Trip and fall and you've got a sword stuck in you instantly.

I get going with a logo that matches your nickname,  but it's also ok to go with a logo that matches your location.  A cartoon character is not an identity I ever want this franchise to have as the main identifier.  Secondary logo is fine.  3rd Jersey,  fine,  shoulder patch on primary jerseys?  Fine!

Front Crest.  NO!

you're missing his point (even though his point is wrong and dumb).

• Wat 1

48 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

The orca will remain the identity of this franchise,  as it should.  You can try and twist and construe it as a "Corporate logo" all you want,  doesn't make it the truth!

I don't really care about the 'corporate logo' etc argument, I just think it's ugly :lol:

Much prefer the original stick in rink personally. Simple. Classic. Good colours.

canucks1.jpg

for12dfd4agde8ldpkzg.gif

I'd be open to something new but 'classic' with a letter V or a V and C like some of the better sports logos out there (Canadiens, Yankees, Whalers etc) if we're going to change. Otherwise, go back to the original IMO and rotate through the orca, skate etc for 3rd jerseys only.

Montreal-canadiens-580x266.jpg?v=1481918

NY-Yankes-580x266.jpg?v=1481918145

The Whalers logo is brilliant, simple and makes awesome use of negative space for the H. (Admittedly harder to do with an angular V and round C).

Hartford-Whalers-580x266.jpg?v=148191814

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Front Crest.  NO!

These are false equivalencies.  Teams use logos that go with their names.  It's the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Edmonton Oilers and so on.  Montreal's logo is actually two Cs and a H -- their official name is Le Club de hockey Canadien, or CHC.  A double lined B represents the Boston Bruins, while the spokes were to signify Boston as a hub.  American physicist and poet Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. described the Massachusetts State House as the hub of the solar system, presumably because of Boston's significance in the American Revolutionary War and early U.S. history. 

No one is saying that the team logo needs to be something exclusive to the area.  Otherwise none of Johnny Canuck, orca, or lumber references would make it.  What, you mean there are trees outside of British Columbia?   

The Canuck equivalent would be if the Hurricanes used a racing car as its crest.  But isn't North Carolina most famous for its races?  Why can't the logo just symbolize the location?  Do you think it makes sense to use a car as the logo if you name the team hurricanes?  The team should've been named the Carolina Racers if that's what they wanted to use.

Florida is known for its swamps and crocodiles/ alligators.  Do you not think it's ridiculous if the Bolts used a crocodile stylized into a L as their crest?  What exactly is the difference between that and the orca?  The crocodile is native to the area, and the L represents Lightning, just like the orca is native to the coast of B.C., and the C represents Canucks.  There is no more relation between a whale and a Canadian than there is between a crocodile and a lightning.  

You can use the stick in rink because the V signifies Vancouver, or you can use Johnny Canuck because he symbolizes the Canucks.  Or you can use JC with some sort of V symbol to represent the Vancouver Canucks.  JC can be redrawn, it doesn't have to look like it does now.

Here are all the logos in the NHL: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_year/12019/2019_NHL_Logos/

Please point out one other logo that uses an animal or symbol that is completely unrelated to the team's name.  In fact, check out the other three major professional sports leagues in North America:

NBA: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/6/National_Basketball_Association/NBA/logos/

NFL: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/7/National_Football_League/NFL/logos/

MLB: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_year/42019/2019_MLB_Logos/

Out of 123 teams across four leagues, Canucks are the only ones that use an animal unrelated to its name.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2