The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't really care about the 'corporate logo' etc argument, I just think it's ugly :lol:

Much prefer the original stick in rink personally. Simple. Classic. Good colours.

canucks1.jpg

for12dfd4agde8ldpkzg.gif

I'd be open to something new but 'classic' with a letter V or a V and C like some of the better sports logos out there (Canadiens, Yankees, Whalers etc) if we're going to change. Otherwise, go back to the original IMO and rotate through the orca, skate etc for 3rd jerseys only.

Montreal-canadiens-580x266.jpg?v=1481918

NY-Yankes-580x266.jpg?v=1481918145

The Whalers logo is brilliant, simple and makes awesome use of negative space for the H. (Admittedly harder to do with an angular V and round C).

Hartford-Whalers-580x266.jpg?v=148191814

good description of the  whalers logo. problem is, as a whole, it is butt ugly

18 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

These are false equivalencies.  Teams use logos that go with their names.  It's the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Edmonton Oilers and so on.  Montreal's logo is actually two Cs and a H -- their official name is Le Club de hockey Canadien, or CHC.  A double lined B represents the Boston Bruins, while the spokes were to signify Boston as a hub.  American physicist and poet Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. described the Massachusetts State House as the hub of the solar system, presumably because of Boston's significance in the American Revolutionary War and early U.S. history. 

No one is saying that the team logo needs to be something exclusive to the area.  Otherwise none of Johnny Canuck, orca, or lumber references would make it.  What, you mean there are trees outside of British Columbia?   

The Canuck equivalent would be if the Hurricanes used a racing car as its crest.  But isn't North Carolina most famous for its races?  Why can't the logo just symbolize the location?  Do you think it makes sense to use a car as the logo if you name the team hurricanes?  The team should've been named the Carolina Racers if that's what they wanted to use.

Florida is known for its swamps and crocodiles/ alligators.  Do you not think it's ridiculous if the Bolts used a crocodile stylized into a L as their crest?  What exactly is the difference between that and the orca?  The crocodile is native to the area, and the L represents Lightning, just like the orca is native to the coast of B.C., and the C represents Canucks.  There is no more relation between a whale and a Canadian than there is between a crocodile and a lightning.  

You can use the stick in rink because the V signifies Vancouver, or you can use Johnny Canuck because he symbolizes the Canucks.  Or you can use JC with some sort of V symbol to represent the Vancouver Canucks.  JC can be redrawn, it doesn't have to look like it does now.

Here are all the logos in the NHL: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_year/12019/2019_NHL_Logos/

Please point out one other logo that uses an animal or symbol that is completely unrelated to the team's name.  In fact, check out the other three major professional sports leagues in North America:

NBA: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/6/National_Basketball_Association/NBA/logos/

NFL: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/7/National_Football_League/NFL/logos/

MLB: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_year/42019/2019_MLB_Logos/

Out of 123 teams across four leagues, Canucks are the only ones that use an animal unrelated to its name.

Bingo.  Exactly my point.  A whale is not a Canuck. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Me_ said:

Finally and hopefully. Because that just makes no sense. The “Vancouver” part. Makes us look like a tourist attraction; not a hockey team.

And hey. If they really wanted to... I wouldn’t mind:

6639E29F-0EF0-4780-BB39-54E02BDB71F5.jpeg

I wonder how close this design will be to what they wear next season... specifically the collar. This looks like the Reebok-style Flying Skate jersey minus the red patch and NHL crest at the base of the collar - from a few years back. I kinda want to buy this but its a confusing release. The collar is Reebok style - like they released a "vintage" design of the re-release as opposed to the original design from the 90s. Odd.

• Upvote 1

So New Era posted some toque designs for next season, and the whale, script included is featured on the Canucks version. I think this pretty much confirms the only thing the Canucks are changing is the collar. I’m disappointed the ugly cetacean is staying, but if they’re fixing the stupid toilet seat collar it should be a small upgrade at the very least.

364A7882-2DFB-4556-8DAB-EFB686A71CFB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

So New Era posted some toque designs for next season, and the whale, script included is featured on the Canucks version. I think this pretty much confirms the only thing the Canucks are changing is the collar. I’m disappointed the ugly cetacean is staying, but if they’re fixing the stupid toilet seat collar it should be a small upgrade at the very least.

Look at Ottawa's logo  Perhaps the Senators are going back to the 2D logo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Look at Ottawa's logo  Perhaps the Senators are going back to the 2D logo.

Not next year, maybe after. But they have an updated, better version of the 2D logo they seem afraid to use for some reason.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Not next year, maybe after. But they have an updated, better version of the 2D logo they seem afraid to use for some reason.

It's actually one of the few good moves he's made they were supposed to have a rebrand this season new logo, new jerseys etc. And do to all the turmoil in the offseason they shelved the idea 

17 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm holding out for a new stripe pattern too.

that said, since the only confirmation we have about new home/away jerseys is from an adidas catalogue, is it possible they would consider even something so minor as a 50th anniversary patch as a "new" jersey?

On 4/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, GoldenAlien said:

These are false equivalencies.  Teams use logos that go with their names.  It's the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Edmonton Oilers and so on.  Montreal's logo is actually two Cs and a H -- their official name is Le Club de hockey Canadien, or CHC.  A double lined B represents the Boston Bruins, while the spokes were to signify Boston as a hub.  American physicist and poet Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. described the Massachusetts State House as the hub of the solar system, presumably because of Boston's significance in the American Revolutionary War and early U.S. history. 

No one is saying that the team logo needs to be something exclusive to the area.  Otherwise none of Johnny Canuck, orca, or lumber references would make it.  What, you mean there are trees outside of British Columbia?   

The Canuck equivalent would be if the Hurricanes used a racing car as its crest.  But isn't North Carolina most famous for its races?  Why can't the logo just symbolize the location?  Do you think it makes sense to use a car as the logo if you name the team hurricanes?  The team should've been named the Carolina Racers if that's what they wanted to use.

Florida is known for its swamps and crocodiles/ alligators.  Do you not think it's ridiculous if the Bolts used a crocodile stylized into a L as their crest?  What exactly is the difference between that and the orca?  The crocodile is native to the area, and the L represents Lightning, just like the orca is native to the coast of B.C., and the C represents Canucks.  There is no more relation between a whale and a Canadian than there is between a crocodile and a lightning.  

You can use the stick in rink because the V signifies Vancouver, or you can use Johnny Canuck because he symbolizes the Canucks.  Or you can use JC with some sort of V symbol to represent the Vancouver Canucks.  JC can be redrawn, it doesn't have to look like it does now.

Here are all the logos in the NHL: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_year/12019/2019_NHL_Logos/

Please point out one other logo that uses an animal or symbol that is completely unrelated to the team's name.  In fact, check out the other three major professional sports leagues in North America:

NBA: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/6/National_Basketball_Association/NBA/logos/

NFL: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/7/National_Football_League/NFL/logos/

MLB: http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_year/42019/2019_MLB_Logos/

Out of 123 teams across four leagues, Canucks are the only ones that use an animal unrelated to its name.

110% correct. Best post I've read in a very long time. Thank you. A++++

21 hours ago, Zedlee said:

Bingo.  Exactly my point.  A whale is not a Canuck. 

No argument from me. A++++

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

I'd personally vote for Johnny Canuck as our new face of the team, as the history supports it, the story is fantastic, the mascot would look badass, our guys with huge beards (the older guys, that is) in the playoffs would match, and it's a more intimidating look and style overall.

I'm just undecided on what JC logo I like best.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2019 at 11:53 AM, Bitter Melon said:

I was at least hoping they got rid of the stupid Vancouver wordmark. 

7 hours ago, tas said:

I'm holding out for a new stripe pattern too.

that said, since the only confirmation we have about new home/away jerseys is from an adidas catalogue, is it possible they would consider even something so minor as a 50th anniversary patch as a "new" jersey?

Stripe pattern is great as is. 

Patches wouldn’t qualify as a new order from adidas, they’re produced separately and then sewn on.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Stripe pattern is great as is. 

Patches wouldn’t qualify as a new order from adidas, they’re produced separately and then sewn on.

I find the current stripe pattern really lacklustre, in particular how it looks on tv. specifically the home jersey ... I prefer the road. it pops more. 

All this thread really does for me is remind me how much of an identity crisis this team has when it comes to jerseys and logos. Why can't we just have the same jersey from here on out or even just keep what we have? At this point, they're not going to please everyone no matter what they decide.

One reason why the original 6 logos are generally considered to be the most popular: consistency!

Edited by The Lock

48 minutes ago, The Lock said:

All this thread really does for me is remind me how much of an identity crisis this team has when it comes to jerseys and logos. Why can't we just have the same jersey from here on out or even just keep what we have? At this point, they're not going to please everyone no matter what they decide.

One reason why the original 6 logos are generally considered to be the most popular: consistency!

The identity crisis started in 1978 when the Canucks organization ditched a fine look for a very controversial one with no thanks to a quack sports psychologist. Even though I grew up with the Flying V and beloved Skate logo, the change was wrong. The original/current colours aren't and shouldn't be going anywhere. All that needs to happen is replace the divisive and corporate orca with either Johnny Canuck or the original Stick in Rink with the original '70-'72 design. As GoldenAlien accurately stated, the Canucks don't need a logo to represent the region. That's what the colours are for. The timeless white V's on the original arm stripes are a great nod to Vancouver and can be marketed in its own right, ie. (V)AN CITY, (V)ICTORY.

7 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The identity crisis started in 1978 when the Canucks organization ditched a fine look for a very controversial one with no thanks to a quack sports psychologist. Even though I grew up with the Flying V and beloved Skate logo, the change was wrong. The original/current colours aren't and shouldn't be going anywhere. All that needs to happen is replace the divisive and corporate orca with either Johnny Canuck or the original Stick in Rink with the original '70-'72 design. As GoldenAlien accurately stated, the Canucks don't need a logo to represent the region. That's what the colours are for. The timeless white V's on the original arm stripes are a great nod to Vancouver and can be marketed in its own right, ie. (V)AN CITY, (V)ICTORY.

I sure hope you are right and the colours don't change back to the Halloween colours (at least when it comes to our main jerseys). Personally, I don't care if we stick with what we have or go back to the stick in the rink. I doubt the johnny canuck logo is done though as I heard about some copyright issues somewhere with it or it was deemed to be too close to another jersey? I don't know any details about it so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by The Lock