Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

A "Canuck" is a "Stick in Rink"? :lol:

Like a "Bruin" is a "Spoked B"? :lol:

Like a "Canadien" is a "CH"? :lol:

44 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

That's how every anti-orca fan in this thread has been.  Hypocrisy!

An orca represents the west coast of BC far more than a hockey rink with a stick in it

I love the stick in rink, but if the orca doesnt represent the Canucks how exactly can a stick in rink?

The orca should remain the identity of this franchise from now until forever.  Mess around with the 3rd Jersey as much as you want.

The Canucks are a hockey club. Two hockey elements, coming together in Vancouver, BC colours of blue and green, forming a C. The Islanders and Capitals use a hockey stick in their logos. There are hockey rinks around the Lower Mainland like Burnaby 8-Rinks and at the North Shore Winter Club. In their first 27 NHL seasons as well as their 25 years in the Pacific Coast/Western League, there has never been a reference to marine animals or any other animal for that matter - and rightfully so - club isn't called the "Orcas". West coast or no West Coast. Vancouver is known for its natural scenery especially the North Shore mountain backdrop. The Orca logo was inspired by the Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment ownership, headed by sole owner John McCaw of Seattle. Arthur Griffiths was already out of the Orca Bay ownership.

It's baffling how orca logo supporters allow their love for orcas and marine life to get in the way of the truth. I love all animals including orcas. However, there's a clear difference between Canucks Hockey and Corporate Orca Hockey. Otherwise, change the name of the club from Vancouver Canucks to Vancouver/BC Orcas.

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Just more head in the sand blah, blah, blah.

A stick in rink is no more a Canuck than an Orca is. Both form a C for Canuck yet neiher means Canuck. One is in an image to represent the sport played, the other to represent where the team plays. Both valid elements for a sports logo. Either both are valid by forming a C or both are invalid for not being an image of a Canuck. Stupid argument.

I could care less why or how the Haida styled Orca came to be, even though your account of it's origin is total hogwash imo. I've seen the video, heard Quinn's comments on it and know Lindens involvement. It wasn't mandated by Orca Bay or McCaw. It's simply an awesome logo that represents where the team plays very well.

What's truly baffling is all the bs excuses made up that the Orca isn't applicable. Just say you don't like it instead of all the lame noinsense excuses. I don't like the stick in rink. It's bland and boring. See how easy that is? I don't have to rage that a stick in rink isn't a Canuck therefore it doesn't apply unless we change our name to the Vancouver Stick in Rinks. Stupid. I don't like the running JC. It looks childish and at best should be a peewee teams logo. See how easy that is? I don't need to rage it doesn't apply unless we change our names to the Vancouver Johnny Canucks. or the Vancouver Lumberjacks. I simply don't like them. No made up nonsense. They simply don't meet my personal taste. So cut the crap.

Sorry to chime in, but if Orca Bay didn't own the team at the time, would the logo be what it is, yes or no?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Sorry to chime in, but if Orca Bay didn't own the team at the time, would the logo be what it is, yes or no?

Probably as it was the best of the logo concepts they had at that time. And Trevor Linden and Mike Bull still would have co-ordinated on the project.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:09 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Considering that next season is the Canucks' 50th anniversary, a club just doesn't make cosmetic changes to its primary look. There is a lot going on in the Canucks' brand - Orca, modified and classic Stick in Rink, Johnny Canuck. Ditching the bad luck and corporate Orca is a no-brainer. The classic Stick in Rink and Johnny Canuck represent the 3 H's - Heritage, History & Hockey. That's what the Canucks need to market and build on for their 50th and beyond.

BC is renowned for killer whales. The Canucks jersey is a top 10 jersey in the league there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and no reason to change it. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

BC is renowned for killer whales. The Canucks jersey is a top 10 jersey in the league there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and no reason to change it. 

it legit ranks top 10 in sales etc? That would shock me, but I dont like the logo. Maybe we can have a whale as the logo but have it look more aggressive or just overall look better. 

I look at the sharks, its an aggresive sea creature and it has that aggressive look Simple logo in reality but it works well imo. Having the rink named the shark tank is cool too imo. What do we have an aquarium, thats how I will always relate orca whales as stuck in the aquarium when I was a kid.

Be interesting to see some new age designs of a whale and see what could be designed. I want to have more canuck merchandise but I hate the logo so much I just dont fork over my hard earned $ for things I dislike

28 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Probably as it was the best of the logo concepts they had at that time. And Trevor Linden and Mike Bull still would have co-ordinated on the project.

The answer is no. If Orca Bay was not around then no one would've thought of an orca with the c - hence no concept. To think or say otherwise is just cray cray. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Team is called the Vancouver Canucks. Not the BC/Vancouver Orcas. 

29 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The answer is no. If Orca Bay was not around then no one would've thought of an orca with the c - hence no concept. To think or say otherwise is just cray cray. 

Many of the concepts featured a logo without the Orca too. With Trevor Linden’s input they came up with a modified version of the first Orca logo. There is literally a video on it and the designer of the logo discusses the concept and that it had nothing to do with Orca Bay, the talk of the Orca was it's significance to the province and the coast of BC. 

Just say you along with @Tiger-Hearted hate the logo for whatever reason. The Orca Bay hatred is a cheap cop out. 

54 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

it legit ranks top 10 in sales etc? That would shock me, but I dont like the logo. Maybe we can have a whale as the logo but have it look more aggressive or just overall look better. 

I look at the sharks, its an aggresive sea creature and it has that aggressive look Simple logo in reality but it works well imo. Having the rink named the shark tank is cool too imo. What do we have an aquarium, thats how I will always relate orca whales as stuck in the aquarium when I was a kid.

Be interesting to see some new age designs of a whale and see what could be designed. I want to have more canuck merchandise but I hate the logo so much I just dont fork over my hard earned $ for things I dislike

You are the minority. The logo is great. It doesn't look friendly? what? It looks aggressive I have no idea how you can say the logo looks friendly. 

canucks.jpg

How the hell do you look at this and think this is a friendly whale.

Okay so you relate killer whales to an aquarium and this is how you think BC is renowned for killer whales? BC is known for its killer whale watching. People come here to go whale watching not to go to a freaking aquarium. Not only that but the shark tank is referring to a shark in an aquarium so your logic is just ridiculous.

Your logic of not forking over money for Canucks merchandise is ridiculous as well. Have you ever been to the team store? There are plenty of things you can buy with the former logos. Unless you are trying to say you hate all the Canucks previous logos.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Many of the concepts featured a logo without the Orca too. With Trevor Linden’s input they came up with a modified version of the first Orca logo. There is literally a video on it and the designer of the logo discusses the concept and that it had nothing to do with Orca Bay, the talk of the Orca was it's significance to the province and the coast of BC. 

Just say you along with @Tiger-Hearted hate the logo for whatever reason. The Orca Bay hatred is a cheap cop out. 

I actually don't mind the orca - it's not my favourite, and I wish we'd do something else like JC, but the orca and Orca Bay, for me, has nothing to do with whether or not I like it. I'm saying there is just no way in h e double hockey stick we would have an orca for a logo if Orca Bay did not own the team at the time.

Seriously, take them out of the picture and truly ask yourself if anyone would have thought about an orca as a Canuck logo. It really doesn't matter what Linden helped with and what the designer says, I'm asking you to do a thought experiment that involves the designer and orca bay not being in existence at the time, and to honestly ask yourself what a designer would then have come up with.

It is what it is, but it played out the way it did for a reason.

7 hours ago, nergish said:

Orcas (aka. Killer Whales) are some of the most fearsome predators on earth. It’s an amazing logo for a sports team.

Ya’ll are funny.

Well, actually, considering the orca and Vancouver now go together, we must be talking about resident orcas vs transient, and resident orcas eat salmon only whereas transient (killer whales) eat seals, sea lions, and other whales and are waaaaay more fierce than resident orcas. Also, both resident and transient orcas are not exclusive to the BC coast and actually also live across parts of the US from Alaska down to California, so maybe San Jose will one day change to am orca as well.

Fwiw, the orca logo is my second choice of logos, and I don't hate it. I do, however, wish we went with JC, as it's more brutish and relevent to our team name.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It's a discussion board. No need to apologize for engaging in conversation.

To answer your question: who can say. Have you watched the video about the logo? There were all kinds of logo images he created and played with, including several JC renditions. But he said he just kept being drawn back to the Orca images. Quinn had said if there was another uniform change that he was only in favor if it was something west coast to better represent where the team played. Linden was also very involved the choice and design. McCaw wasn't mentioned at all as an influence. Now the artist himself may have got the idea of using the Orca because of the name of the parent company but doesn't actually say why he tried a variety of Orca logos in the first place. But given Quinn's mandate of something "west coast" the Orca certainly fills that mandate and may have been the biggest influence.

As I said though, the how or why doesn't matter to me. It's simply a good looking logo. It represents where the team plays very well and forms a C for Canucks. That's all that should matter. I liked it from the moment it was unveiled. But I also already knew the connection history of the Orca to Vancouver.

Edit: I will add this: If there was a mandate from McCaw for the Orca logo why did the artist bother at all with sketching a wide variety of other logo concepts? Given the video content, Quinn's comments and Linden's involvement, common sense tells me the Orca wasn't mandated at all. It simply fit.

Edited by Baggins
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Orca is a great logo for the team.  We need to have something stick and it has been around for a long time.  Stick in rink is a nice add and I think this becomes our jersey/combo for a long time.  Never go away from the blue (Primary) and green colour scheme.  That is an Vancouver as it gets and if we don't keep it Seattle will swarm.  I am assuming that Seattle will be green (Primary) and blue.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

It's a discussion board. No need to apologize for engaging in conversation.

To answer your question: who can say. Have you watched the video about the logo? There were all kinds of logo images he created and played with, including several JC renditions. But he said he just kept being drawn back to the Orca images. Quinn had said if there was another uniform change that he was only in favor if it was something west coast to better represent where the team played. Linden was also very involved the choice and design. McCaw wasn't mentioned at all as an influence. Now the artist himself may have got the idea of using the Orca because of the name of the parent company but doesn't actually say why he tried a variety of Orca logos in the first place. But given Quinn's mandate of something "west coast" the Orca certainly fills that mandate and may have been the biggest influence.

As I said though, the how or why doesn't matter to me. It's simply a good looking logo. It represents where the team plays very well and forms a C for Canucks. That's all that should matter. I liked it from the moment it was unveiled. But I also already knew the connection history of the Orca to Vancouver.

Edit: I will add this: If there was a mandate from McCaw for the Orca logo why did the artist bother at all with sketching a wide variety of other logo concepts? Given the video content, Quinn's comments and Linden's involvement, common sense tells me the Orca wasn't mandated at all. It simply fit.

I have watched the video, yes, and I firmly believe they're disingenuous with their reasoning behind choosing the orca. Again, I actually don't mind the orca but do wish we had JC instead, but likability is besides the point for me. 

I think it's important for the discussion for everyone to understand the actual historical reason as to why we have an orca, and it's due to Orca Bay Sports owning the team. The video even says they wanted something that represents what a canuck is. Please tell me how an orca, sorry, killer whale as they say in the video in order to deflect criticism around Orca Bay, is more of a canuck than JC, who they clearly had as an option back then? 

To your point about having multiple sketches, well, two things: 1) clearly all the other sketches were garbage, potentially/likely on purpose; but 2) more importantly, because they wanted to deflect criticism as to their reason for the orca, which they clearly mention in the video as to being aware in advance that there would be blow back. Sorry, but it's not a matter of common sense but rather a lack of skepticism and naive trust in a corporate decision and reasoning. 

Again, those who deny Orca Bay as the reason behind the orca should ask themselves as to whether we would have an orca as a logo if Orca Bay Sports did not own the team back then. The answer is an emphatic no; in fact, an orca wouldn't even have come up in the conversation during the concept stage. Regardless as to whether someone likes the orca logo or not, the orca's creation was a corporate decision. 

• Thanks 1