The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I have watched the video, yes, and I firmly believe they're disingenuous with their reasoning behind choosing the orca. Again, I actually don't mind the orca but do wish we had JC instead, but likability is besides the point for me. 

I think it's important for the discussion for everyone to understand the actual historical reason as to why we have an orca, and it's due to Orca Bay Sports owning the team. The video even says they wanted something that represents what a canuck is. Please tell me how an orca, sorry, killer whale as they say in the video in order to deflect criticism around Orca Bay, is more of a canuck than JC, who they clearly had as an option back then? 

To your point about having multiple sketches, well, two things: 1) clearly all the other sketches were garbage, potentially/likely on purpose; but 2) more importantly, because they wanted to deflect criticism as to their reason for the orca, which they clearly mention in the video as to being aware in advance that there would be blow back. Sorry, but it's not a matter of common sense but rather a lack of skepticism and naive trust in a corporate decision and reasoning. 

Again, those who deny Orca Bay as the reason behind the orca should ask themselves as to whether we would have an orca as a logo if Orca Bay Sports did not own the team back then. The answer is an emphatic no; in fact, an orca wouldn't even have come up in the conversation during the concept stage. Regardless as to whether someone likes the orca logo or not, the orca's creation was a corporate decision. 

And my response is does it matter if the orca came from orca bay or not? 

So what if it came from the parent company name? What is the grudge there. If someone dislike it then they will dislike it.

Hating on a logo due to the parent company is not a logical argument. Did you invest or partner with orca bat or the owner and have a beef with them? Probably not.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

And my response is does it matter if the orca came from orca bay or not? 

So what if it came from the parent company name? What is the grudge there. If someone dislike it then they will dislike it.

Hating on a logo due to the parent company is not a logical argument. Did you invest or partner with orca bat or the owner and have a beef with them? Probably not.

I think it's an important part of the discussion as to where the logo came from and why, so, yes, I do believe it matters. I like the logo, but I also think that our logo should be more representative of what a canuck actually is and not an orca that does not represent Vancouver or a Canuck. Sorry, but when was the last time an orca was anywhere near Vancouver? I live in Victoria, and we might be able to see an orca near the city at Ogden Point once every few years, maybe. Instead, you have to go on a specific tour out to the Salish Sea to see any. Sure, an orca is a west coast mammal, but it's also not a BC exclusive one, as one of my previous posts mentions. Lastly, how many landlocked BCers out there, who are die hard Nucks fans, relate to orcas and the west coasts?

Again, it's not hating on a logo; it's wanting something more representative, which is undeniably a logical argument. The fact that the orca logo was due to Orca Bay Sports is merely salt on the wound for many.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

an orca that does not represent Vancouver or a Canuck. Sorry, but when was the last time an orca was anywhere near Vancouver? I live in Victoria, and we might be able to see an orca near the city at Ogden Point once every few years, maybe. Instead, you have to go on a specific tour out to the Salish Sea to see any. 

I'm honestly getting tired of people saying the same bull**** every time to try and make their point.  Hurrdurrrr but orca bay put the orca there to represent their corporation.    How do you even know this?  Were you in the room when the decision was made to switch logos?   

Orcas have plenty to do with Vancouver. Just because you have a bias against it and want to spew off untruths doesnt make you right bud.    

And a quick Google search will show you Orcas make appearances around Vancouver and the island all the damn time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vancouversun.com/news/local-news/orca-pod-spotted-in-vancouver-harbour-on-tuesday/amp

https://604now.com/pod-of-orcas-stanley-park-photos-may-2019/

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/killer-whales-hunt-off-port-moody-1.23833648

All very recent.  How many other north American cities does this happen in?

I would say Orcas represent the city moreso than a cartoon character ever could.  If you want a cartoon lumberjack to cheer for go watch the Giants.

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

1) clearly all the other sketches were garbage, potentially/likely on purpose; but 2) more importantly, because they wanted to deflect criticism as to their reason for the Orca

Okay Alex Jones... :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

34 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

And a quick Google search will show you Orcas make appearances around Vancouver and the island all the damn time.

I've seen Orca many times around Vancouver in the past 30+ years... up the inlets, on the ferries, in the bay in front of my moms house on the island. We even saw a Gray whale maybe rubbing off barnacles right up near the rocks few years back.

Soo silly for people to add that to their opposition to the Orca logo. 

• Thanks 2
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I think it's an important part of the discussion as to where the logo came from and why, so, yes, I do believe it matters. I like the logo, but I also think that our logo should be more representative of what a canuck actually is and not an orca that does not represent Vancouver or a Canuck. Sorry, but when was the last time an orca was anywhere near Vancouver? I live in Victoria, and we might be able to see an orca near the city at Ogden Point once every few years, maybe. Instead, you have to go on a specific tour out to the Salish Sea to see any. Sure, an orca is a west coast mammal, but it's also not a BC exclusive one, as one of my previous posts mentions. Lastly, how many landlocked BCers out there, who are die hard Nucks fans, relate to orcas and the west coasts?

Again, it's not hating on a logo; it's wanting something more representative, which is undeniably a logical argument. The fact that the orca logo was due to Orca Bay Sports is merely salt on the wound for many.

Does Colorado see Avalanches all the time? Does San Jose see sharks in the bay? Does LA actually have Kings? Is Calgary constantly up in Flames? (well besides the current Alberta smoke) Is New Jersey full of Devils? Did the Blackhawks fighting actually happen in Chicago or to the west of Chicago along the rivers? What do stars even have to do with Dallas when LA or NY has most of them? Does Florida have panthers? Does Pittsburgh have penguins? Does Buffalo have anything to do with fencing?...

I could keep going but the fact is, the orca has more to do with us than the names of a lot of those teams I just mentioned above...

In fact, does the name "Canucks" specifically involve Vancouver or was it a derogatory name given to ALL Canadians originally? You want something more representative and yet the very name goes beyond just Vancouver.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 4
  • Wat 1

22 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I have watched the video, yes, and I firmly believe they're disingenuous with their reasoning behind choosing the orca. Again, I actually don't mind the orca but do wish we had JC instead, but likability is besides the point for me. 

I think it's important for the discussion for everyone to understand the actual historical reason as to why we have an orca, and it's due to Orca Bay Sports owning the team. The video even says they wanted something that represents what a canuck is. Please tell me how an orca, sorry, killer whale as they say in the video in order to deflect criticism around Orca Bay, is more of a canuck than JC, who they clearly had as an option back then? 

To your point about having multiple sketches, well, two things: 1) clearly all the other sketches were garbage, potentially/likely on purpose; but 2) more importantly, because they wanted to deflect criticism as to their reason for the orca, which they clearly mention in the video as to being aware in advance that there would be blow back. Sorry, but it's not a matter of common sense but rather a lack of skepticism and naive trust in a corporate decision and reasoning. 

Again, those who deny Orca Bay as the reason behind the orca should ask themselves as to whether we would have an orca as a logo if Orca Bay Sports did not own the team back then. The answer is an emphatic no; in fact, an orca wouldn't even have come up in the conversation during the concept stage. Regardless as to whether someone likes the orca logo or not, the orca's creation was a corporate decision. 

We'll simply have to agree to disagree on the matter. Those initial concepts included variations of Orca logos plus a very wide variety of other images. Being "garbage" as you say, is basically what initial concepts are. They're simply a starting point for ideas to build from not a raft of finished products. Some never developed beyond a pencil sketch. Clearly you're stuck on the corporate thing and that is influencing your opinion. Not a leap on my part, simply based on your notion the other concepts were just smoke and mirrors for a corporate agenda. Often the simplest explanation is the correct one. I do believe Quinn's agenda of a west coast look that represents "where" the team being a major influence. The parent company being named Orca Bay combined with Quinns west coast request for a west coast look could have made it a simple 1+1 for the designer. But also, in his own words, reluctant because of blow back for using the Orca given the parent companies name. But he also said despite trying out other imagery he was drawn back to the Orca. The Orca has ties to Vancouver, and has for decades after all. For me using the Orca logo in a Haida style makes complete sense for a visual representation of a Vancouver team given that history. Very "west coast" - Quinn's agenda for change. 

Here's the real issue: the team name. Canuck is simply slang for Canadian. How do portray a Canadian in a sports logo? I honestly don't see JC as representing a Canadian. Not a bad mascot type image but does it truly portray a Canadian? Are we a bunch of lumberjacks? Is an eastern created political cartoon character the best image to represent a west coast team? Not to me. Honestly I'm not entirely opposed to a JC logo for an alternate jersey. To me that's what alternates are for. Just not the goofy looking running lumberjack. For the primary though I much prefer the simple C in an image that represents where the team actually plays. But if you want "corporate agenda" 

Ultimately I think many give McCaw far too much credit for involvement. For the most part he was an absentee owner whose biggest concern was looking at the bottom line. Seriously, why would he even care if the team logo was in line with the name of an office? That's all Orca Bay Entertainment and Sports was - offices that the management of the Canucks, Grizzlies, and GM Place reported to. Still, given that every hockey team is a business, everything is a "corporate" decision regarding the team. And every teams logo is in fact a "corporate logo". There is no separation there. I think you're too stuck on the why, which you're unlikely to ever have definitive answer to, rather than whether or not it represents well. To me it represents very well regardless of the why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

38 minutes ago, Baggins said:

We'll simply have to agree to disagree on the matter. Those initial concepts included variations of Orca logos plus a very wide variety of other images. Being "garbage" as you say, is basically what initial concepts are. They're simply a starting point for ideas to build from not a raft of finished products. Some never developed beyond a pencil sketch. Clearly you're stuck on the corporate thing and that is influencing your opinion. Not a leap on my part, simply based on your notion the other concepts were just smoke and mirrors for a corporate agenda. Often the simplest explanation is the correct one. I do believe Quinn's agenda of a west coast look that represents "where" the team being a major influence. The parent company being named Orca Bay combined with Quinns west coast request for a west coast look could have made it a simple 1+1 for the designer. But also, in his own words, reluctant because of blow back for using the Orca given the parent companies name. But he also said despite trying out other imagery he was drawn back to the Orca. The Orca has ties to Vancouver, and has for decades after all. For me using the Orca logo in a Haida style makes complete sense for a visual representation of a Vancouver team given that history. Very "west coast" - Quinn's agenda for change. 

Here's the real issue: the team name. Canuck is simply slang for Canadian. How do portray a Canadian in a sports logo? I honestly don't see JC as representing a Canadian. Not a bad mascot type image but does it truly portray a Canadian? Are we a bunch of lumberjacks? Is an eastern created political cartoon character the best image to represent a west coast team? Not to me. Honestly I'm not entirely opposed to a JC logo for an alternate jersey. To me that's what alternates are for. Just not the goofy looking running lumberjack. For the primary though I much prefer the simple C in an image that represents where the team actually plays. But if you want "corporate agenda" 

Ultimately I think many give McCaw far too much credit for involvement. For the most part he was an absentee owner whose biggest concern was looking at the bottom line. Seriously, why would he even care if the team logo was in line with the name of an office? That's all Orca Bay Entertainment and Sports was - offices that the management of the Canucks, Grizzlies, and GM Place reported to. Still, given that every hockey team is a business, everything is a "corporate" decision regarding the team. And every teams logo is in fact a "corporate logo". There is no separation there. I think you're too stuck on the why, which you're unlikely to ever have definitive answer to, rather than whether or not it represents well. To me it represents very well regardless of the why.

Perfectly said.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

18 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

I'm honestly getting tired of people saying the same bull**** every time to try and make their point.  Hurrdurrrr but orca bay put the orca there to represent their corporation.    How do you even know this?  Were you in the room when the decision was made to switch logos?   

Orcas have plenty to do with Vancouver. Just because you have a bias against it and want to spew off untruths doesnt make you right bud.    

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vancouversun.com/news/local-news/orca-pod-spotted-in-vancouver-harbour-on-tuesday/amp

https://604now.com/pod-of-orcas-stanley-park-photos-may-2019/

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/killer-whales-hunt-off-port-moody-1.23833648

All very recent.  How many other north American cities does this happen in?

I would say Orcas represent the city moreso than a cartoon character ever could.  If you want a cartoon lumberjack to cheer for go watch the Giants.

First, as I've asked before and no one seems to like to answer, if Orca Bay Sports didn't own the team, would an orca even come up in the conversation for the logo at the time? 

Second, the reason why there are articles whenever a sighting occurs is because of the rarity of that happening. Sure, it happens, but it's not a common situation because transient and resident pods are not exclusive to Vancouver. Sorry, but when you think of Vancouver, you don't think of orcas. 

17 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

See above.

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

Does Colorado see Avalanches all the time? Does San Jose see sharks in the bay? Does LA actually have Kings? Is Calgary constantly up in Flames? (well besides the current Alberta smoke) Is New Jersey full of Devils? Did the Blackhawks fighting actually happen in Chicago or to the west of Chicago along the rivers? What do stars even have to do with Dallas when LA or NY has most of them? Does Florida have panthers? Does Pittsburgh have penguins? Does Buffalo have anything to do with fencing?...

I could keep going but the fact is, the orca has more to do with us than the names of a lot of those teams I just mentioned above...

In fact, does the name "Canucks" specifically involve Vancouver or was it a derogatory name given to ALL Canadians originally? You want something more representative and yet the very name goes beyond just Vancouver.

All of those teams you list have one thing in common that we don't, their logo represents their team name. It's not a out whether the team name represents the city but rather the logo representing the name. We are not the Vancouver Killer Whales or Vancouver Orca. We are the Canucks, and an orca is not a Canuck.

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

There's actually some really cool history behind JC and even its eventual connection to the team. Are we all lumberjacks? No, but Canada was built on the forest industry in so many ways, and it's still incredibly important, especially in BC.

I've said so many times now that I like the orca logo, so I'm not stuck on the why; I'm merely debating that we have it for a reason, and the reason is corporate, not that it represents Vancouver or a Canuck. Sorry, but when anyone thinks of Vancouver they do not think about an orca, same as when people think about any coastal US city that orca pods live in and around. If we were the Vancouver Killer Whales then I'd love one as a logo. But we're not, so all I'm saying is that I'd prefer if we were more representative of our team name. The only thing our logo has going for it in relation to our name is that it's in the shape of a C for Canuck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

First, as I've asked before and no one seems to like to answer, if Orca Bay Sports didn't own the team, would an orca even come up in the conversation for the logo at the time? 

Second, the reason why there are articles whenever a sighting occurs is because of the rarity of that happening. Sure, it happens, but it's not a common situation because transient and resident pods are not exclusive to Vancouver. Sorry, but when you think of Vancouver, you don't think of orcas. 

See above.

All of those teams you list have one thing in common that we don't, their logo represents their team name. It's not a out whether the team name represents the city but rather the logo representing the name. We are not the Vancouver Killer Whales or Vancouver Orca. We are the Canucks, and an orca is not a Canuck.

There's actually some really cool history behind JC and even its eventual connection to the team. Are we all lumberjacks? No, but Canada was built on the forest industry in so many ways, and it's still incredibly important, especially in BC.

I've said so many times now that I like the orca logo, so I'm not stuck on the why; I'm merely debating that we have it for a reason, and the reason is corporate, not that it represents Vancouver or a Canuck. Sorry, but when anyone thinks of Vancouver they do not think about an orca, same as when people think about any coastal US city that orca pods live in and around. If we were the Vancouver Killer Whales then I'd love one as a logo. But we're not, so all I'm saying is that I'd prefer if we were more representative of our team name. The only thing our logo has going for it in relation to our name is that it's in the shape of a C for Canuck.

A very accurate, intelligent and thorough post. Thank you Jester13.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I did answer that. We don't know either way and never will. It's like asking if we would have won the cup if we signed Gretzky instead of Messier. We'll never know that answer. Both are a possibility. Given Quinn agenda for a west coast look that fit where the team played. Ignore it if you want but there's history and a strong tie between the Orca and Vancouver.

The sighting articles pertain to the Orca's swimming into Burrard inlet. That's not a daily occurrence and thus makes the news. They are common off our coast though. There's a reason there's so many whale watching companies in Vancouver. Are there a lot of Lumberjack sightings in Vancouver? If so it doesn't seem news worthy.

The popular stick in rink doesn't represent our name. Yet nobody seems to complain about that. So has there ever been a need to be like every other team? We weren't from the day our origin uni was introduced.

We don't need to be the Vancouver Killer Whales or the Vancouver Orca's. It's an F'in C for Canucks just as the Stick in Rink is. Do we need to be the Vanouver Stick in Rinks to use that logo? That is the absolute dumbest head in the sand reason.

I've said so many times now that I like the orca logo, so I'm not stuck on the why; I'm merely debating that we have it for a reason, and the reason is corporate,

What is the corporate reason? You'll need to explain the purpose. 

There's actually some really cool history behind JC and even its eventual connection to the team. Are we all lumberjacks? No, but Canada was built on the forest industry in so many ways, and it's still incredibly important, especially in BC.e were more representative of our team name. The only thing our logo has going for it in relation to our name is that it's in the shape of a C for Canuck.

You should check out the history of the Orca with Vancouver.

Actually Canada was initially built on farming and the fur trade. As a matter of fact the term Canuck was using towards French and Hawaiian fur traders in BC 20 years before the forest industry even started. Maybe a better logo would be a large Hawaiian in a fur coat and coon cap holding a hockey stick. Now that would be west coast!

The only thing the Stick in Rink has going for it in relation to the team name is it's in the shape of a C for Canuck. More people like it than JC. As a matter of fact the only thing below JC in the last pole was the Flying V.

Seems to me it's a lot more than corporate for you. Otherwise you wouldn't keep going on that we're not the Vancouver Orcas. You contradict yourself. Ultimately the image doesn't matter....

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

How many times does it need to be said?

Edited by Baggins
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

Actually it wasn't originally used towards all Canadians. That came much later. In the east the term was used towards French Canadians working in the forest industry. In the Pacific Northwest it was originally used towards both the French and Hawaiians working the fur trade. Nobody knows for certain why, when, or where it originated. But one of the many theories is the term is very close to the Hawaiian word for people. They didn't refer to themselves as Hawaiian's, they simply called themselves people. There's French Canadian old timers that hate the term still.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

I did answer that. We don't know either way and never will. It's like asking if we would have won the cup if we signed Gretzky instead of Messier. We'll never know that answer. Both are a possibility. Given Quinn agenda for a west coast look that fit where the team played. Ignore it if you want but there's history and a strong tie between the Orca and Vancouver.

Ok, let's discuss the thought experiment in a different way, since you seem to need 100% certainty to know something: what's the probability that an orca would be our logo if Orca Bay Sports wasn't the owner at the time?

The sighting articles pertain to the Orca's swimming into Burrard inlet. That's not a daily occurrence and thus makes the news. They are common off our coast though. There's a reason there's so many whale watching companies in Vancouver. Are there a lot of Lumberjack sightings in Vancouver? If so it doesn't seem news worthy.

You are ignoring my point that I've continuously expressed: it's not about the whale representing the city (although I firmly believe hardly anyone thinks of an orca when they think of Vancouver) but rather the logo representing the team name. Here's an even clearer example.. 

Sharks = Shark logo

Canucks = Orca logo

OR

Canucks = Johnny Canuck (which the team has already adopted in ways) OR

Canucks = stick in rink (which relates to hockey, at least)

The popular stick in rink doesn't represent our name. Yet nobody seems to complain about that. So has there ever been a need to be like every other team? We weren't from the day our origin uni was introduced.

We don't need to be the Vancouver Killer Whales or the Vancouver Orca's. It's an F'in C for Canucks just as the Stick in Rink is. Do we need to be the Vanouver Stick in Rinks to use that logo? That is the absolute dumbest head in the sand reason.

Relates to hockey, at least. (You seem mad?)

What is the corporate reason? You'll need to explain the purpose. 

You should check out the history of the Orca with Vancouver.

Actually Canada was initially built on farming and the fur trade. As a matter of fact the term Canuck was using towards French and Hawaiian fur traders in BC 20 years before the forest industry even started. Maybe a better logo would be a large Hawaiian in a fur coat and coon cap holding a hockey stick. Now that would be west coast!

Johnny Canuck has historical significance (and some pretty cool stuff, at that) and the team has already adopted it before, as mentioned above. To speak of fur traders and other historical reasons is simply dodging my point.

The only thing the Stick in Rink has going for it in relation to the team name is it's in the shape of a C for Canuck. More people like it than JC. As a matter of fact the only thing below JC in the last pole was the Flying V.

Seems to me it's a lot more than corporate for you. Otherwise you wouldn't keep going on that we're not the Vancouver Orcas. You contradict yourself. Ultimately the image doesn't matter....

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

C for Canucks

How many times does it need to be said?

I guess that's up to you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Canucks = Johnny Canuck

with the logic of the Vancouver killer whales are we the Vancouver lumberjacks? No, we have an identity keep the orca and lets build an identity how many times do you seen a original 6 team change their jerseys?

Edited by VanNucks1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, VanNucks1 said:

with the logic of the Vancouver killer whales are the the Vancouver lumberjacks? No, we have an identity keep the orca and lets build an identity how many times do you seen a original 6 team change their jerseys?

Again an example of faulty reasoning. The Canucks have already adopted the historical significance of Johnny Canuck, which is a legit reason and relation to the name Canucks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Ok, let's discuss the thought experiment in a different way, since you seem to need 100% certainty to know something: what's the probability that an orca would be our logo if Orca Bay Sports wasn't the owner at the time?

You are ignoring my point that I've continuously expressed: it's not about the whale representing the city (although I firmly believe hardly anyone thinks of an orca when they think of Vancouver) but rather the logo representing the team name. Here's an even clearer example.. 

Sharks = Shark logo

Canucks = Orca logo

OR

Canucks = Johnny Canuck (which the team has already adopted in ways) OR

Canucks = stick in rink (which relates to hockey, at least)

Relates to hockey, at least. (You seem mad?)

Johnny Canuck has historical significance (and some pretty cool stuff, at that) and the team has already adopted it before, as mentioned above. To speak of fur traders and other historical reasons is simply dodging my point.

I guess that's up to you.

^^^^^^

It's so refreshing to read intelligence on this subject on CDC for a change.:bigblush:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

^^^^^^

It's so refreshing to read intelligence on this subject on CDC for a change.:bigblush:

Oh, you, stop, you're making me blush :P

I mean, it's pretty easy to see the difference between sound and faulty reasoning, but I guess only if you don't have confirmation bias getting in the way.

• Thanks 1