The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Ok, let's discuss the thought experiment in a different way, since you seem to need 100% certainty to know something: what's the probability that an orca would be our logo if Orca Bay Sports wasn't the owner at the time?

The artist may have got the idea because of Orca Bay's name but based on the video I believe McCaw had nothing to do with the decision.

You are ignoring my point that I've continuously expressed: it's not about the whale representing the city (although I firmly believe hardly anyone thinks of an orca when they think of Vancouver) but rather the logo representing the team name. Here's an even clearer example.. 

So the Stick in Rink is out. Personally I don't see a cartoon lumberjack as truly representing the name. So I guess we're left with the original PCL league jersey with simply Canucks across the chest.

Here's an even clearer example.. 

Sharks = Shark logo

Canucks = Orca logo

Sharks = Sharks logo

Canucks = Stylized C for Canucks

Montreal = C for Canadiens

Boston = Stylized B for Bruins

I see ours as the opposite of Calgary's logo. Theirs is a C for where they play in an image that represents the name. Ours is  C for our name in an image that represents where we play.

OR

Canucks = Johnny Canuck (which the team has already adopted in ways) OR

Which is more relevant - adopted in ways or actually being the longest running logo?

Stick in rink isn't a Canuck - which seems a sticking point for you regarding the Orca.

Relates to hockey, at least. 

Completely irrelevant. IT's still not a Canuck which you've repeatedly said is necessary. 

(You seem mad?)

Hypocritical thinking gets to me. Is an image that isn't a Canuck that forms a C acceptable or not? Either both the Stick in Rink and Orca are valid by forming a C for Canucks invalid by not being an image that means Canucks. It's simple reasoning.

Johnny Canuck has historical significance (and some pretty cool stuff, at that) and the team has already adopted it before, as mentioned above. 

The Orca has historical significance to Vancouver (and some pretty cool stuff at that). Maybe we can swap stories some time. The NHL Canucks has never used JC as a primary while the Orca is the longest standing primary logo the team has had.  Sometimes history should be just that - history.

To speak of fur traders and other historical reasons is simply dodging my point.

There's no dodging there, it's history. The term Canuck was used in the Pacific Northwest towards French and Hawaiian fur traders a couple of decades before the lumber industry started. How is that dodging? You brought up history and now seem to be trying to dodge it because it doesn't fit for you.

Edited by Baggins
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Here's proof that Orca Bay was a meddling corporate ownership that wanted their corporate orca influence on the Canucks:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/team-changes-name-of-holding-company/article17979211/

^^^Arthur Griffiths said it wasn't "his intention to incorporate an orca into the team's logo". 

**In fact, Griffiths stated on his former radio show that he wanted to have the updated Johnny Canuck in the Skate colours, also designed by Orca logo designer Brent Lynch, as the new primary but new majority owner John McCaw and his Orca Bay "Yes people" like Stan McCammon wanted to have their orca brand in the Canucks' identity.

https://relationshipscience.com/person/john-e-mccaw-jr-3366735

^^^ Orca Bay Capital Corp. Sounds like corporate influence to me.

https://theprovince.com/sports/willes-the-complicated-ultimately-happy-saga-of-arthur-griffiths-and-his-vancouver-sports-legacy

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Here's proof that Orca Bay was a meddling corporate ownership that wanted their corporate orca influence on the Canucks:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/team-changes-name-of-holding-company/article17979211/

^^^Arthur Griffiths said it wasn't "his intention to incorporate an orca into the team's logo". 

Um, doesn't matter if it's an Orca Bay or a Bunny Bay, ownership paid the price to run the team (meddle). As owner he could have renamed the team or moved it. He did neither. For the most part he was still an absentee owner. Please explain this mysterious "corporate influence" on the Canucks.

Nor does he say it was mandated. But then he was gone by that time the change happened. He also said he was in favour of calling the parent company Orca Bay and was sad to see it changed when Acquilini took control. It doesn't really prove anything. You're simply reading into it what you want.

According to Linden himself, he was involved in the creation of the Orca logo. In his words "This was not a one shot deal. We looked at numerous other looks and logos and ideas. And I was involved in that part of it. There was a kind of process of elimination."

The artist said, "Trevor was a great help because he showed a lot of resistance when it was needed. He kept his opinions honest and I appreciated his input from a players point of view because ultimately they have to wear this symbol."

I'll say it again, ultimately I don't give a rats tush about the how or why we wound up with the Orca. I love it. In part because of the look and in part because it represents where the team plays. An excellent combo for a sports logo.

The second link doesn't work. Not that it matters from the name in the link. And I have no idea what the third one has to do with the conversation.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Um, doesn't matter if it's an Orca Bay or a Bunny Bay, ownership paid the price to run the team (meddle). As owner he could have renamed the team or moved it. He did neither. For the most part he was still an absentee owner. Please explain this mysterious "corporate influence" on the Canucks.

Nor does he say it was mandated. But then he was gone by that time the change happened. He also said he was in favour of calling the parent company Orca Bay and was sad to see it changed when Acquilini took control. It doesn't really prove anything. You're simply reading into it what you want.

According to Linden himself, he was involved in the creation of the Orca logo. In his words "This was not a one shot deal. We looked at numerous other looks and logos and ideas. And I was involved in that part of it. There was a kind of process of elimination."

The artist said, "Trevor was a great help because he showed a lot of resistance when it was needed. He kept his opinions honest and I appreciated his input from a players point of view because ultimately they have to wear this symbol."

I'll say it again, ultimately I don't give a rats tush about the how or why we wound up with the Orca. I love it. In part because of the look and in part because it represents where the team plays. An excellent combo for a sports logo.

The second link doesn't work. Not that it matters from the name in the link. And I have no idea what the third one has to do with the conversation.

Screenshot_20190608-215901_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

You're quoting a rehearsed video about the new corporate logo. That's a PR video and should be taken for what it is, which is a video made simply to help "sell" the new logo to fans. They even say in the video they are aware of criticism and optics of choosing the orca and its connection to orca bay sports.

You may love the logo such as you do (I have repeatedly said that I actually like the logo, it's just not my favourite), but you could at least acknowledge that it's quite logical and highly reasonable for a great number of fans to not like it as much as you do and instead prefer something else, something that represents the team's name better, either through the adopted definition of a Canuck or something related to hockey, such as a stick in rink or skate.  

• Like 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

You're quoting a rehearsed video about the new corporate logo. That's a PR video and should be taken for what it is, which is a video made simply to help "sell" the new logo to fans. They even say in the video they are aware of criticism and optics of choosing the orca and its connection to orca bay sports.

You may love the logo such as you do (I have repeatedly said that I actually like the logo, it's just not my favourite), but you could at least acknowledge that it's quite logical and highly reasonable for a great number of fans to not like it as much as you do and instead prefer something else, something that represents the team's name better, either through the adopted definition of a Canuck or something related to hockey, such as a stick in rink or skate.  

Any evidence? Yes, he said he tried to resist using the Orca but the image was too strong and he kept going back to it. It was just one of the many initial concepts.

I don't expect everybody to like it. I've maintained throughout the multitude of jersey threads we'll never have a consensus on a logo. I haven't liked any prior to the Orca and didn't buy anything Canucks with the logo on it as a result. At this point no matter what the logo is there will be a whole bunch unhappy fans. But just say "I don't like it", as I did with the previous versions, rather than making up stupid excuses why it isn't applicable. Forming a C covers the team name and the Orca is a part of Vancouver history and common off our coast. It is applicable. Leaving only like it, or don't like.

Like I said, you're too stuck on the why. Who cares why if, as you claim, you like it. Just like it.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Any evidence? Yes, he said he tried to resist using the Orca but the image was too strong and he kept going back to it. It was just one of the many initial concepts.

I don't expect everybody to like it. I've maintained throughout the multitude of jersey threads we'll never have a consensus on a logo. I haven't liked any prior to the Orca and didn't buy anything Canucks with the logo on it as a result. At this point no matter what the logo is there will be a whole bunch unhappy fans. But just say "I don't like it", as I did with the previous versions, rather than making up stupid excuses why it isn't applicable. Forming a C covers the team name and the Orca is a part of Vancouver history and common off our coast. It is applicable. Leaving only like it, or don't like.

Like I said, you're too stuck on the why. Who cares why if, as you claim, you like it. Just like it.

Evidence of what? That it's a PR video? I guess having gone to school for communications allows me to see that much easier.

So here's the thing, you're getting quite bent out of shape on here any time someone expresses a preference for a logo that isn't the orca, and it's likely due to your heavy attachment to it, which is fine - love the logo. But continuing to ignore others' opinions and their sound reasoning behind them, and then merely repeating how the orca is a west coast thing therefore more applicable to where the team plays compared to something that is actually related to the team name is close to standing on a produce box on a street corner. 

Yes, orcas are a west coast thing, but it's 100% valid for a great number of fans to want something that relates to the name rather than location. Are you unable to accept that other people have a different opinion? Who cares if fans don't like the orca and want change? Some fans like tradition and want to stick with what they know and grew up with whereas others, such as myself, actually don't mind change and would like to see something new. I'm personally someone who has been watching since the 80s and enjoys how our Canucks have had distinct generations of teams in relation to jerseys and we've seen lots of change over the years. Now that the Sedin era is over, I'd like to see something new; something that isn't the orca this time. Sorry, not sorry.

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Evidence of what? That it's a PR video? I guess having gone to school for communications allows me to see that much easier.

So here's the thing, you're getting quite bent out of shape on here any time someone expresses a preference for a logo that isn't the orca, and it's likely due to your heavy attachment to it, which is fine - love the logo. But continuing to ignore others' opinions and their sound reasoning behind them, and then merely repeating how the orca is a west coast thing therefore more applicable to where the team plays compared to something that is actually related to the team name is close to standing on a produce box on a street corner. 

Yes, orcas are a west coast thing, but it's 100% valid for a great number of fans to want something that relates to the name rather than location. Are you unable to accept that other people have a different opinion? Who cares if fans don't like the orca and want change? Some fans like tradition and want to stick with what they know and grew up with whereas others, such as myself, actually don't mind change and would like to see something new. I'm personally someone who has been watching since the 80s and enjoys how our Canucks have had distinct generations of teams in relation to jerseys and we've seen lots of change over the years. Now that the Sedin era is over, I'd like to see something new; something that isn't the orca this time. Sorry, not sorry.

So no evidence it was made up acting and made up after the fast early logo ideas, just tinfoil hat opinion to fit your story. As to the rest of your rant....

18 hours ago, Baggins said:

I don't expect everybody to like it. I've maintained throughout the multitude of jersey threads we'll never have a consensus on a logo. I haven't liked any prior to the Orca and didn't buy anything Canucks with the logo on it as a result. At this point no matter what the logo is there will be a whole bunch unhappy fans. 

I've been following since they joined the league. So what? Sorry, not sorry.

• Cheers 1

While I'm not thrilled that the orca is staying I am at least happy that the word mark is going away (finally) I still feel the same way about it today as I did when it debuted. I'm willing to give the new look a chance before I give final judgment but I'm still disappointed overall. I think the orca could work with these colours but they failed to address the other 2 major flaws of the jersey and that is the lack of green in the logo and the awful font. It still looks so clip art-ish and slapped on just sticks out so bad. Not sure why the resistance to use the full colour pallet in the logo. And the euro style name/number font is terrible and looking mid 2000's dated a return to the classic block font is badly needed. The Canucks have history with that font since the teams inception it's my biggest gripe even more so than the orca itself. I made this concept years ago that I still think looks better than the new leak...

vancouver-canucks--jersey-FIANL.png

Edited by Jet_91
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet_91 said:

While I'm not thrilled that the orca is staying I am at least happy that the word mark is going away (finally) I still feel the same way about it today as I did when it debuted. I'm willing to give the new look a chance before I give final judgment but I'm still disappointed overall. I think the orca could work with these colours but they failed to address the other 2 major flaws of the jersey and that is the lack of green in the logo and the awful font. It still looks so clip art-ish and slapped on just sticks out so bad. Not sure why the resistance to use the full colour pallet in the logo. And the euro style name/number font is terrible and looking mid 2000's dated a return to the classic block font is badly needed. The Canucks have history with that font since the teams inception it's my biggest gripe even more so than the orca itself. I made this concept years ago that I still think looks better than the new leak...

vancouver-canucks--jersey-FIANL.png

These are really nice.  Only thing I'd do is put the new shoulder patch.  This is a great jersey.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

So no evidence it was made up acting and made up after the fast early logo ideas, just tinfoil hat opinion to fit your story. As to the rest of your rant....

I've been following since they joined the league. So what? Sorry, not sorry.

It's a PR video. Do you know what goes into a PR video? Yeesh.

You don't expect everyone to agree, but it sure seems like you get super bent out of shape if people don't agree with you on the orca. 

I find it interesting that even when someone shows you evidence that the logo was a corporate decision (see the earlier post with the article of A. Griffiths saying so), you still remain in denial. Ah, whatever, I don't even know I'm bothering... good day to you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

These are really nice.  Only thing I'd do is put the new shoulder patch.  This is a great jersey.

Agreed the new shoulder patches are a plus of the new jersey so I updated my concept to have them as well

vancouver-canucks--jersey-FIANL_1.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3