The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor New Home and Away Jerseys for Canucks

Rate this topic

Squamfan

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

So you propose the team change their name from "Canucks" to "Orcas"?

Can we have a referendum? 

It will be something like-

A- No Change

B- Change

If voting  'B', with 1-3 in order of priority, please check your boxes in order unless you only really want change, pick one. I'm not confused, you're confused. Just pick one, two, or three. 

1) Orca on a black and yellow skate riding a stick.

2) Jonny Canuck wearing black and yellow skates whilst riding an orca across a rink with a stick in it

3) A giant V with an orca jumping over it, Vancouver tattooed on the chest of Jonny Canuck (who's chopping down on the orca from above)

Hmmmm... This seems familiar

A- No Change

We are still (all) Canucks. 

However B 2 isn't bad

BTW, how did this become a name change discussion? I thought we were talkin jerseys...and I vote to keep the blue/green (ocean and mountains represent) and the KILLER WHALE

Edited by Just1CupBeforeIDie

23 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

See my post above about orcas aka killer whales...

theyre fierce, fast and intelligent

So? So are wolves and hawks and dragons. Every single sports team thinks the “fierce, fast and intelligent” mascot applies to them.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

killer whales are also often spotted on the west coast unlike dragons...

(sea) hawks are not nearly as fierce...

wolves are not nearly as fast

I see. Well I’m pretty sure you can see planes from the West Coast and a jet is much faster than a whale, and would destroy it in a fight. So we should have a jet as our logo. And a bolt

of lightning would wreck a jet, so maybe we should have that instead. And a star would wreck all of that so maybe our logo should be a letter inside a beveled star.

Actually since how powerful what’s represented on the logo is what really matters we should make our logo god or one-punch man or the mathematical equation for division by zero or something like that in order to ensure we have a better logo than any other team.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I see. Well I’m pretty sure you can see planes from the West Coast and a jet is much faster than a whale, and would destroy it in a fight. So we should have a jet as our logo. And a bolt

of lightning would wreck a jet, so maybe we should have that instead. And a star would wreck all of that so maybe our logo should be a letter inside a beveled star.

Actually since how powerful what’s represented on the logo is what really matters we should make our logo god or one-punch man or the mathematical equation for division by zero or something like that in order to ensure we have a better logo than any other team.

no no no

Winnipeg has the jets

Dallas has the stars

Tampa Bay has the lightning

Killer Whale is ours, west coast 

and btw, no one said anything about having a better logo than any other team...we're just discussing OUR jerseys, our logo as is or possible new ones...

jeez lighten up, man

Edited by Just1CupBeforeIDie
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

You sound like a... Bitter Melon... 

6283EF9C-E6E9-4523-B77A-D5E17F2A15A9.gif

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Likely just dropping the Vancouver wordmark

I would much rather that. I just figured that it hadn't happened for 10 years so I thought it wasn't going to. I finally give in and buy the jerseys and three weeks after receiving them, they now decide to drop that news. Poor timing on my part. It's frustrating so just needed to vent.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Regarding the actual Jersey and what it should or shouldn't be, it's hard tbh because it's been changed quite a few times, so this team just has no true identity for a logo, and because of that there will always been a difference in opinion from the fan base on what it should and shouldn't be. If it ever does change to something different again, it still won't fix it the issue, there will always be people who still prefer the previous one or the other one more, hey it may change a few people's opinions but not everyone's, so It's really never a win win situation, it's really only for the new generation of fans who grow up watching them in the Jersey they play in. 

I grew up watching the Canucks in the Skate Logo years, so this is and will always be my favorite no matter what, and imo I wish they still wore those over the current ones there's something about a black jersey imo that just stands out so much better. I'll admit when they switched the logo to the whale I hated it and it pissed me off, and haven't really liked it since. I can although accept and tolerate it a little more now with the new colors they use for it, but then again really hate the Vancouver over the top of it get ride of that. Anyways I'd be happy with the Skate Logo back again for good!

I agree there will never be a consensus as it's a matter of taste. No matter what it is some will hate it and some will love it. So really what point is there in changing? To me that's what the third jersey is for. Giving those that don't like the main another option.

But I hated the stick in rink from the day it was unveiled. Bland, boring, and to me, stupid looking. Could be because I saw Buffalo's logo first, really liked it, and was looking forward to seeing ours. Then I got excited they were changing and what we got was the hideous yellow V. Moving the skate from the shoulder to the chest made and changing to white instead of yellow made it tolerable. But I still wouldn't buy the jersey. I loved the Orca logo from the time it was unveiled. Then when they changed to the original colors with the Orca I though they finally got the whole thing right. I don't mind the Vancouver on it. That part really grew on me.

All those years I never bought a Canucks jersey simply because I didn't like them. The Orca jersey was the first Canucks item I bought with their logo on it.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

The Johnny Canuck iteration used by the team is a lumberjack which ties into the importance of the forestry industry and the fact that the term ‘Canuck’ is speculated to have derived originally from woodsmen. 

The Orca is as much a “cartoon” as Johnny is a “graphical depiction”. You’re just being pedantic about it.

Actually it has nothing to do with "woodsman" specifically. It's simply a derogatory slang term. In the Pacific Northwest it was originally used as an insult to the French and Hawaiian's working the fur trade. Well before the forest industry started here. The two most prominent origin theories of the term are natives mistaking a captains name (Connaught) as the name of his tribe (crew). Thus calling all white people Connaught which was misheard as Canuck. The other originating from Hawaiians who called themselves Kanata (a person) and Americans turning it to Canuck as an insult. Hawaiians originally came over to work whaling ships but later also got involved in the fur trade. For whatever reason the term Canuck was used originally towards just Hawaiian's and French as an insult regardless of occupation. Years later it was used as a derogatory term by Americans towards all Canadians.

Tell the indigenous people of Canada their style art are just cartoons.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1