The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Jake Guentzel

10 minutes ago, coryberg said:

This puts brock at 9 mil :(

why? Guentzal 33pts in 36gp

Brock 23ps in 26gp

Boeser is should be around 7ish Million per season. I hope it does go higher that in the 7's, would prefer the high 6's but thats unlikely. 

Be interesting to see how JB handles this. Brock has had some injuries, he is also playing with 1 of the best youngsters in the league. We have cap space, but we need to try be smart when it comes to resigning guys. We got lucky with Bo, but his next deal will be $$$

3 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

Guentzal is every bit as good a Boeser, maybe better, thats a fair deal for him and the club.

I disagree. I believe they are equal at best. Guentzal plays on a team with Crosby and Malkin. Boeser has played with retiring Sedins, Bo Horvat, and a rookie Pettersson. We'll see where Brock is at by seasons end. I'm not taking anything away from Guentzal though. He's a damn good player and this is a good deal.

Repeating what otheres are saying, Bo's contract is a steal.

3 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

I disagree. I believe they are equal at best. Guentzal plays on a team with Crosby and Malkin. Boeser has played with retiring Sedins, Bo Horvat, and a rookie Pettersson. We'll see where Brock is at by seasons end. I'm not taking anything away from Guentzal though. He's a damn good player and this is a good deal.

Repeating what otheres are saying, Bo's contract is a steal.

I'm not sure the comparison to Brock makes sense yet, lets see where Brock is at when he's 24. 

But if this were a Benning signing I'd be fine with it. 

I believe this buys a couple of UFA years which may have bumped up the numbers a bit. Considering he's near PPG numbers, this deal looks pretty good if he keeps this pace up and not the previous season's 48 points (which isn't shabby but not 6 million worth, but then again I think we would love 48 points out of Eriksson). I think something that shouldn't be overlooked is his impressive 42 points in 37 career playoff games. This guy will show up when it matters.

It'll be interesting how this will be compared to Boeser though because they have posted similar numbers (aside from one regular season blip). There is an argument that Guentzel is playing with better players, but Boeser struggled out the gate this year until he got put with Pettersson. I have a feeling Boeser's next deal might not be far from this (6-7 million for 6 years maybe?). Not sure how many years left until Boeser hits UFA years.

Nylander gets 7, Guentzel gets 6, and Panarin wants 10.  The Leafs are dead for the Cap.  Marner will demand 11 and Matthews 13.  God it feels good to know that after the Leafs first round playoff loss this spring, they’ll be dead for another 60 years.  

13 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

why? Guentzal 33pts in 36gp

Brock 23ps in 26gp

Boeser is should be around 7ish Million per season. I hope it does go higher that in the 7's, would prefer the high 6's but thats unlikely. 

Be interesting to see how JB handles this. Brock has had some injuries, he is also playing with 1 of the best youngsters in the league. We have cap space, but we need to try be smart when it comes to resigning guys. We got lucky with Bo, but his next deal will be $$$

Guentzal .33 goals/game  .72 points/game

With crosby and the high flying penguins

At age 24

Vs.

Boeser     .46 goals/game  .86 points/game

With the 2017-19 canucks

At age 21

Why not?

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Guentzal .33 goals/game  .72 points/game

With crosby and the high flying penguins

At age 24

Vs.

Boeser     .46 goals/game  .86 points/game

With the 2017-19 canucks

At age 21

Why not?

well done with the stats 

Contract is pretty fair. He's got 114 points in 158 games. Sure you can attribute that to playing with Crosby. But Burrows got paid for playing with the Sedins. Sometimes it's just the way it goes. 24 years old, playoff performer. Toronto should be lookin' at this deal and be upset about what Nylander got. 

Archived