Sign in to follow this  
yawn.3x

Telus, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Koodo, and Virgin mobile question

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I tried looking stuff up but the best I could find was just really bad reviews for Koodo, Fido, and Virgin Mobile's customer support but not so much its service that it provides. I'm not trying to bash anybody who works at these companies, but I'm currently with Telus and my phone bill is just way too high at $90 a month. For Christmas, I got a new phone so I plan to try the alternative of getting a plan without getting a phone attached to it because it's cheaper and you aren't paying that phone off overtime. 

 

I looked at Roger's plans and they're around the same price as Telus, so I thought with a 100% owned phone, maybe one of the smaller companies would be cheaper right? Koodo offers the same things I get on my Telus phone but for HALF the price. I did a little research and found that each of the big 3 owns one of the small 3, so they share the exact same network.

 

Tl;Dr:

 

Is there any difference that people have had with using Koodo, Fido, or Virgin in terms of service, calls dropping, reception, etc... ? Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i went from telus to koodo. cheaper plan with more data. I think its more of a self serve and if you have issues it might be more of a pain to get help.

 

Friend just went from telus to Virgin which is bell I think, he was happy bit less reception on hwy he thinks but better deal saving $ also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

i went from telus to koodo. cheaper plan with more data. I think its more of a self serve and if you have issues it might be more of a pain to get help.

 

Friend just went from telus to Virgin which is bell I think, he was happy bit less reception on hwy he thinks but better deal saving $ also

Koodo is who I was looking at going with. How are they in comparison to Telus? Have you noticed any difference with your service? I already expect customer service to be bad regardless of what I choose, but I mean how good is reception, etc.. with koodo? If I'm waiting for my car to get fixed or sitting in a restaurant and using my data instead of wifi will I notice a difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fido, Virgin, Koodo is the consumer brand if you don't need a new and flashy phone in compensation of paying for a higher plan to get that phone then go with the lower brands.

 

Reception is the same if not no difference compared to Bell, Rogers, Telus.

 

Sign up for the $65 for 10gb if it's still going on. If not I'd still transfer over to either Fido, Virgin, Koodo just to save yourself $30 a month.

 

I used to be with telus and now I pay $60 for 10gb and have been buying out my phones out right. I save roughly $806.40 compared to my telus bill with taxes in and that's pretty much enough for myself to purchase another cell phone out right.

 

Edit: the $806.40 is rough comparison of two years savings compared to signing a two year contract.

Edited by Honeydew
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Honeydew said:

Fido, Virgin, Koodo is the consumer brand if you don't need a new and flashy phone in compensation of paying for a higher plan to get that phone then go with the lower brands.

 

Reception is the same if not no difference compared to Bell, Rogers, Telus.

 

Sign up for the $65 for 10gb if it's still going on. If not I'd still transfer over to either Fido, Virgin, Koodo just to save yourself $30 a month.

 

I used to be with telus and now I pay $60 for 10gb and have been buying out my phones out right. I save roughly $806.40 compared to my telus bill with taxes in and that's pretty much enough for myself to purchase another cell phone out right.

This is exactly my logic. I figure if I save $30-40 a month in a aplan I could just buy whatever phone I want considerably faster then if I was locked in a 2-year contract with Telus - who I've NEVER had good experiences with. I've never seen $100 a month and never had a customer rep tell me that she was able to get $1.68 off my bill as if that's some sort of huge accomplishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogers owns Fido as far as I know. I've only ever been with Rogers and Fido and had pretty decent deals. The Rogers one was way back in the day and I had a very old and cheap plan for years. I currently have a very good deal with Fido, but I took advantage of a deal that I think isn't their normal deals. Service has been adequate for both but haven't run into big problems with either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yawn.3x said:

This is exactly my logic. I figure if I save $30-40 a month in a aplan I could just buy whatever phone I want considerably faster then if I was locked in a 2-year contract with Telus - who I've NEVER had good experiences with. I've never seen $100 a month and never had a customer rep tell me that she was able to get $1.68 off my bill as if that's some sort of huge accomplishment.

Then I'd just go with Koodo or Fido honestly, just save yourself money.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Honeydew said:

Then I'd just go with Koodo or Fido honestly, just save yourself money.

yeah 100%. thanks for the quick replies you guys. I'm gonna go with Fido. I want to stay away from Telus for a bit if not forever. They're just mentally exhausting to have to deal with. I'm going to go try Fido and see how it is. The most I'd ever use is 3gb and even then I find it hard that I'd use that much unless I was REALLY going nuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its Kodo or Telus for me so of course I have a bell only because I get a discount though the customer service is the worst. Though it depends I work in the bush so having the most coverage area is super important to me. If I'm spending 95% of my life in metro I'd probably have a Fido.

Edited by hammertime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been a fan of Fido tbh. Had them for years then due to other issues had to cancel, finally eventually got a new phone went to Rogers found out they were overcharging me, went back to Fido for like $30 less a month for the same plan, go figure especially since they own them lol. Been with Fido for the last like 6 years, just this year changed my plan and get more for less lol, they had an offer bring your own phone which was already unlocked with Fido, for $45/month and 2GB of data unlimited everything text and phone throughout Canada, with taxes comes to $50 a month and I normally only use wifi anyways so the data is more than enough for me. Did see at Fido over the Christmas holidays they had the same thing bring in you own phone for unlimited everything $60/month with 4GB data. As for connection it's always good for me throughout the lower mainland, only spot I've know a little issue is in Langley near 200th st off the highway, but fine everywhere else in Langley, fine in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Coquitlam, Surrey, White Rock, Burnaby, New West, all of Vancouver, go with Fido!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I've always been a fan of Fido tbh. Had them for years then due to other issues had to cancel, finally eventually got a new phone went to Rogers found out they were overcharging me, went back to Fido for like $30 less a month for the same plan, go figure especially since they own them lol. Been with Fido for the last like 6 years, just this year changed my plan and get more for less lol, they had an offer bring your own phone which was already unlocked with Fido, for $45/month and 2GB of data unlimited everything text and phone throughout Canada, with taxes comes to $50 a month and I normally only use wifi anyways so the data is more than enough for me. Did see at Fido over the Christmas holidays they had the same thing bring in you own phone for unlimited everything $60/month with 4GB data. As for connection it's always good for me throughout the lower mainland, only spot I've know a little issue is in Langley near 200th st off the highway, but fine everywhere else in Langley, fine in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Coquitlam, Surrey, White Rock, Burnaby, New West, all of Vancouver, go with Fido!

awesome detail thanks! Yeah I'm 100% convinced to go with Fido. Just waiting for my phone to arrive and I'll be making the swap. Tired of the crap Telus keeps tryin to pull. $100 for a cellphone plan is just bonkers. Got friends overseas and in the US with dirt cheap plans. 

 

I am curious as to why for example, Koodo who is owned by Telus offers the same stuff but considerably cheaper. What's the deal there? Never made sense to me. The agent I talked to at Koodo said they use the exact same network and share all of the towers so there shouldn't be any difference between the two except one is half price. ?????? anyways...

 

Heres hoping Fido does well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Switched from Rogers to Virgin like 3 years ago; told the kid at the Virgin kiosk to key in a fake Manitoba address for me and give me a  Manitoba plan since they’re all Canada wide anyway. My billing is all online and if I want to order a phone from them I just tell them I’m working in Vancouver for the month and they’ll ship it to a different address. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go see the cell phone reps upstairs at Walmart in Richmond (Thomas and can't remember the other guys name). I got a new Samsung phone , a cheaper deal with Fido AND a $350 gift card for Walmart. I really shopped around and did my research. They will set you up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, yawn.3x said:

awesome detail thanks! Yeah I'm 100% convinced to go with Fido. Just waiting for my phone to arrive and I'll be making the swap. Tired of the crap Telus keeps tryin to pull. $100 for a cellphone plan is just bonkers. Got friends overseas and in the US with dirt cheap plans. 

 

I am curious as to why for example, Koodo who is owned by Telus offers the same stuff but considerably cheaper. What's the deal there? Never made sense to me. The agent I talked to at Koodo said they use the exact same network and share all of the towers so there shouldn't be any difference between the two except one is half price. ?????? anyways...

 

Heres hoping Fido does well!

Yeah I know what you mean, I hear some people sometimes tell me they're paying almost $100 a month and they always seem to be with Telus and I am shocked, since I pay half that lol. Although now a days some people want the data so they do pay a little more, but that data thing is such a money grab if you can stay away from that you can get some decent deals.

 

Regarding the price difference, I do know in the past it used to be due to service at towers, for instance back when it was called Wind now Freedom or something, the plans were cheaper but they didn't have service in places like Chilliwack or Langley or certain places in Coquitlam, although it was coming just wasn't ready at the time. One other thing a few years ago was the phones that company carried, like Rogers would have the more expensive phones so they would charge you more to cover the cost of the phone, while Fido had the less expensive ones but did the same thing in the end for cheaper. Now a days it doesn't seem to be like that anymore, but I don't know Telus and their partners at all I stay away from anything Telus tbh. I did take a look at Kodoos website here and they have a nice promotional offer bring your own phone $55 unlimited everything 4GB, that's actually a good deal but I just don't know they're service like I know Fido. Fido is offering a $50 4GB promo right now but it's not unlimited talk just text, looks like $60 and 6gb is unlimited everything, but if I was you I would tell them I'm interested in joining Fido, but Koodo is offering this for $55 unlimited everything make them match it, or heck even compromise tell them instead of 4gb data I'll only take 3gb but give me unlimited talk as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it matters, as someone who works in the middle of nowhere a lot, koodo I've found to have the best reception. As far as customer support goes all of them are crap. But koodo has been cheap and effective for me for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, yawn.3x said:

Hi,

I tried looking stuff up but the best I could find was just really bad reviews for Koodo, Fido, and Virgin Mobile's customer support but not so much its service that it provides. I'm not trying to bash anybody who works at these companies, but I'm currently with Telus and my phone bill is just way too high at $90 a month. For Christmas, I got a new phone so I plan to try the alternative of getting a plan without getting a phone attached to it because it's cheaper and you aren't paying that phone off overtime. 

 

I looked at Roger's plans and they're around the same price as Telus, so I thought with a 100% owned phone, maybe one of the smaller companies would be cheaper right? Koodo offers the same things I get on my Telus phone but for HALF the price. I did a little research and found that each of the big 3 owns one of the small 3, so they share the exact same network.

 

Tl;Dr:

 

Is there any difference that people have had with using Koodo, Fido, or Virgin in terms of service, calls dropping, reception, etc... ? Thanks :)

From what I have heard if you call in for customer support for Koodo they give you a couple dollar bill at the end of the month.  The smaller ones are more self serve than the big guys, thats how they get lower plan prices.  At the end of the day they are just spin offs of the big boys.  I am with Fido now after a debacle last year during that plan fire sale, I have the same reception on my phone as I did with Rogers before that.  It'll be the same with Koodo/Telus and Virgin/Bell.  If you have service now you will still, if you had shotty service in areas with Telus, you'll have it with Koodo.  My wife on Telus has different service problems than I did back when I was with Rogers.  You can call Telus and tell them you're looking at leaving if you're phone contract is done and say you're going to go to Fido or Virgin (competitors) and see if they will give you a comparable plan.

Edited by Russ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with Chatr (owned by Rogers) - for my needs of calling, texting, and a bit of data, they were the best I could find. No issues, no drops or dead zones that I have encountered...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have your own phone, go with Virgin. 

 

$51 for 6GB data and everything else included - the network is Bell so it's super fast 

The perks are awesome (50% off at indochino suits, 2 for 1 cineplex always, 25% off at h&m always, 45% off of Beats Solo 3 Wireless, etc. etc.)

And they send you different perks that expire within the week or month all the time (in December I got 1 day at SportChek where I could buy anything in the store at the employee pricing, up to a maximum value of $4000)

 

edit: right now they've included 25% off at the source, $10 haircuts at great clips, 25% off at GNC and 20% off at flight center. These are the current expiration perks. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get work to get you a phone.  Then learn to live on a crappy phone and crappy data plan (use WiFi alot).  

 

Save money $$$

Edited by BPA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.