The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Dec 28th Dotchin(Ana) Zykov(edm)

86Viking

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Zykov really flopped in Edmonton. Wouldn't be surprised though if Carolina re-claimed him, so they could send him to the A.

He had good numbers in Charlotte last year 33-21-54 in 63 games, is 23 and on his 2nd contract which is a 1-way $650 which isn't doing him any favours

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Makes sense for them to put in a claim so he can go help Charlotte

If he has a one way contract, I guess it'll depend if they want to pay him that much to play in the AHL. It'll also depend if Carolina still believes that there's something more there and is worth bringing back otherwise they may as well cut ties if they are done and let someone else develop in Charlotte.

I think the Canuck should pick up Zykov.  He's only 23, the same age as Horvat, so it isn't to say he has finished developing.  While he's Russian, he has spent his most of his junior, and pro career in North America.  A right-handed shot and the same size as Virtanen.  His numbers has improved every year, so it's safe to say it should continue a bit more.  

That being said, I've never seen him play before, so I have no idea about his footspeed or whether he's able to use his body effectively.  But his draft bio said he's a good skater and with good hands, plus he is a 30 goal scorer in the AHL, not common for someone who was only 21-22 at the time.  I wouldn't put much weight on his performance with the Oilers... since outside of a handful of players there, nobody is doing well.  

He may be useful as the RH shot on the 2nd PP (what Boeser does on the 1st PP), a 3rd line LW that can maybe slot into the top-6 sparingly.  

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I think the Canuck should pick up Zykov.  He's only 23, the same age as Horvat, so it isn't to say he has finished developing.  While he's Russian, he has spent his most of his junior, and pro career in North America.  A right-handed shot and the same size as Virtanen.  His numbers has improved every year, so it's safe to say it should continue a bit more.  

That being said, I've never seen him play before, so I have no idea about his footspeed or whether he's able to use his body effectively.  But his draft bio said he's a good skater and with good hands, plus he is a 30 goal scorer in the AHL, not common for someone who was only 21-22 at the time.  I wouldn't put much weight on his performance with the Oilers... since outside of a handful of players there, nobody is doing well.  

He may be useful as the RH shot on the 2nd PP (what Boeser does on the 1st PP), a 3rd line LW that can maybe slot into the top-6 sparingly.  

If you watched last night's game, you have seen him play. Didn't stand out in any way and was easy to miss.

3 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

If you watched last night's game, you have seen him play. Didn't stand out in any way and was easy to miss.

I actually missed the game last night.  In any case, he only got 6 mins last night, 6 the previous game, and then 4 and 7 mins the games prior.  Not sure if he has to do with being in the doghouse or maybe Hitch is riding McDavid and thus ice time needs to come from somewhere.  

Not surprising.  When the Ducks lost to the Sabres, Dotchin didn't help by getting roped into an after period argument with Bogosian that saw just him get penalized and ejected leaving Anaheim to play the rest of the game down an extra D-man.

Fatman isn't very bright.

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Umm, no. We don't want him.

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

?

he will need to be placed on waivers again if Carolina wants to send him down.

Carolina lost him originally, so if no-one else puts in a claim, they are allowed to get him back and send him to the AHL. He has a one way contract, so he will be an expensive AHLer !

Archived