Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 29, 2018

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Looking back at the tape

Granlund had a dreadful game that costed us two goals.  On both of them he placed Josh Leivo and Loui Eriksson in a very precarious situations with terrible passes.

Not characteristic of Granny at all.  he usually makes smart simple plays, but on both situations he tried to force a cross ice pass which left Leivo and Eriksson to fumble the puck due to pressure already draped on them.

I like Granny but efforts like that won't please Green.  He is lucky that Green's least favourite player to play is Goldobin, or Granny would be the candidate to come out for Sutter. 

On that second short handed goal, i was life wtf. Who jams up their teammate with a crappy pass ike that from in tight at the blue line..hard to blame leivo for that one. 

• Hydration 1

Rebuild or Rebuilt?

Because I'm seeing a potential playoff team carried by young stars. Benning needs to sign some talented FA's this summer to finish it off.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It doesn’t seem real does it! I keep having to tell myself this is real and it’s happening! EP is the most complete rookie i’ve seen in a long time. Crosby is the only one that comes to mind that came into the league with this kind of skill and defensive awareness right off the hop...they both have the ability to make those who play around them better. They don’t play as an individual at all. They know how to use their team mates to their advantage and create offence that way.

McDavid is a one man show, Matthews is on a loaded TO line up, McKinnon in Col took a while to round out. EP comes in and is at a top tier level at both ends of the ice right away...dang!

Gretzky also comes to mind...only EP40 also has the defensive game.

• Upvote 2

I know everyone is raving about EP's defensive play in OT... but can we stop and appreciate the other huge play he made when on the pp? The play where the Flames were about to have another shorthanded oddman rush but EP managed to slide and block the outlet pass out of the flames zone. That was huge. I was shocked how little mention it got from the commentators. 

• Upvote 4

I'm loving that TG is using Jake and Bo as a shutdown line.  Jake is becoming a very versatile, very effective player.

33 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Bennett tried to go for EP40's knee early in the game.  That guy hasn't turned out for a top 4 pick and has alot of Matt Cooke to his game.  

I was driving home during the first period and listening to 650, Hirsh commented at that play that both Guddy and Beagle were in Bennett's face after that play to remind him that it was a crap play.  Love that players are standing up for each other.  Watched the rest of the game, loved that EP was pushing back.  Probably would be a bench clearing brawl if he ever dropped the gloves :)  Wouldn't want to be the goalie on the receiving end of Marky throwing them.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Odd. said:

New Jersey should be interesting. They have a couple of key guys injured, including Taylor Hall, and have had very spotty goaltending.

nice

9 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Our defence has been injured probably more then any other team in the NHL over the last 3 years, I think Edler is not part of the rebuild, maybe Tanev is but We could loose Edler and still progress especially if the return at this time in our rebuild is worth it. I have no problem resigning him in the off season, I like Edler, I just think in the new NHL we have to take advantage of our assets and that means making trades when the time is right. Drafting is the game now, young quality players on ELC

buy a farm (needs to be good) for Edler and pick up Erik Karlsson in the off season or both...we are rebuilding therefore pickup a 1st, 2nd and a prospect for Edler, then sign him in the off season with the cap money...next year - Erik, Eddy, 1st, 2nd and a prospect...if anything less, keep him.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kushman said:

I know everyone is raving about EP's defensive play in OT... but can we stop and appreciate the other huge play he made when on the pp? The play where the Flames were about to have another shorthanded oddman rush but EP managed to slide and block the outlet pass out of the flames zone. That was huge. I was shocked how little mention it got from the commentators. 

Whether its EP himself thinking outside the box, but the subtle things he does in the neutral zone are incredible. How many times has he blocked lanes with his body, and gain control of the puck, then head up the ice?  He's not a big guy, but he sure is able to do this two or three times a game. One play he was in the corner with two Flames, and turned twice with the puck and came out of the corner, and up the ice. That defensive play in OT, might get him some Norris consideration.

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Gretzky also comes to mind...only EP40 also has the defensive game.

..and he's starting to push back, like he did on Dube. That Bennett clip, knee, or whatever 18 yr old Sam Bennett was trying to do was horse$&!#.

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

Whether its EP himself thinking outside the box, but the subtle things he does in the neutral zone are incredible. How many times has he blocked lanes with his body, and gain control of the puck, then head up the ice?  He's not a big guy, but he sure is able to do this two or three times a game. One play he was in the corner with two Flames, and turned twice with the puck and came out of the corner, and up the ice. That defensive play in OT, might get him some Norris consideration.

There was a play, late on the third, where he went behind his own net with Lindholm, a very very good player.  By the time Lindholm realized that Petey had robbed him blind, EP was already at the Blueline headed to the attack.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

There was a play, late on the third, where he went behind his own net with Lindholm, a very very good player.  By the time Lindholm realized that Petey had robbed him blind, EP was already at the Blueline headed to the attack.

That might have been the play, my wife and I both went, WOW!

• Upvote 1

Looking back at the Boeser goal, I just realized there were so many canuck fans in the building.

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Adding a top-6 player = huge.  And about to add a (foundational) elite shutdown C and PKer.  Things are going to really get rolling here.

If you're referring to Sutter as "elite" that's laughable... I like him and I like what he brings, but he's not an "elite shutdown guy", I think that's kind of insulting to guys like Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, etc. Sutter is good at his role, but I'd be more agreeable to Bo being moreso "Elite" in that role than Sutter. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

pete mark.png

That's "the moment" I was referring to.  So good....thank you, so much, for capturing it.  I just love this shot.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's "the moment" I was referring to.  So good....thank you, so much, for capturing it.  I just love this shot.

"I'll stop 'em, you score 'em!

• Like 1