The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs, could it happen?

VanGnome

10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

This team is too good to be a bottom 5 team.  We have so many players that have had far better seasons than expected ie: EP, Horvat, Virtanen, Markstrom, Edler, Hutton.  Baertschi has just returned and looked real good, we got Leivo for free, Demko is now up, and should at least be a far better back up than Nillson.  Barring a crazy stretch of injuries, we will end up ahead of the Hawks, Kings, Flyers, Wings, Senators,Devils, Panthers, Blues, we are flat out better than all of them.  We will at likley also end up ahead of a few of AZ, NYR, Anaheim, Oilers. 

To me the question at this point is would you rather pick 10-12 with a slight chance of winning a lottery slot, or pick at 16 and get this group into the playoffs.  I'd take the playoff experience without question.  We have some solid shutdown guys in our bottom 6 and some high end talent up front, and our goaltending may be far better with Demko up.  We have played very well against the top teams in the league this year.  No, we probably don't beat the Flames, Jets, Preds, or sharks in a 7 game series,  but I'd take that chance over 5 draft positions.  

Me too.  But I wouldn’t take it over a top three pick which was the point I was trying to make.   Without at least one more blue chip forward or defenseman, this team won’t become a contender, more likely a mediocre team.  That’s ok and I’m happy that at least we will have our chances in the next five years, but in five years both Tanev and Edler will be gone or bottom pairing (and with their injury history not in the lineup at times) Horvat could be gone and all the secondary players will either be replaced or wrapping up their careers ( that’s the new NHL,  decent journeyman get ousted to free up cap space and ELCs get their chances). 

EP won’t be enough, that’s obvious by other teams that have a superstar but not enough supporting cast.  Benning has gone a great job IMO, it’s rare that a top team that fully rebuilds (only Edler remains from the last core, I wouldn’t include Tanev given most of his play came after the dismantling) and becomes a contender again with the next core, only Detroit managed that since Montreal did it in the seventies, and their first cup with Dryden they weren’t supposed to even make the playoffs so they weren’t really a contender then either (Beliveau’s swan song).  

Historically Vancouver has gone through at least two cores before they made it to the final, and the first one we got lucky given the path was wide open for them because the better teams lost in the West.  

I do agree with you that picking 11 or 12 instead of 16-18 and getting some playoff experience wouldn’t really matter so much in the draft (last year a lot of talent fell which had a rippling affect and very good prospects were still available up to 12, after that it was not so good though).  Ideally I’d like the team to trade for another lottery ticket, NYI were the clear winners last year with their two picks, but that won’t happen.

Either way we are winners as fans, if Benning can pick another Boeser instead of a McAan or Shinkurak or Gaunce we will be sorted going forward.  Odds are against that though.  

But a top three pick would be ideal, slim odds I know, we won’t get them at all if we make the playoffs though.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Me too.  But I wouldn’t take it over a top three pick which was the point I was trying to make.   Without at least one more blue chip forward or defenseman, this team won’t become a contender, more likely a mediocre team.  That’s ok and I’m happy that at least we will have our chances in the next five years, but in five years both Tanev and Edler will be gone or bottom pairing (and with their injury history not in the lineup at times) Horvat could be gone and all the secondary players will either be replaced or wrapping up their careers ( that’s the new NHL,  decent journeyman get ousted to free up cap space and ELCs get their chances). 

EP won’t be enough, that’s obvious by other teams that have a superstar but not enough supporting cast.  Benning has gone a great job IMO, it’s rare that a top team that fully rebuilds (only Edler remains from the last core, I wouldn’t include Tanev given most of his play came after the dismantling) and becomes a contender again with the next core, only Detroit managed that since Montreal did it in the seventies, and their first cup with Dryden they weren’t supposed to even make the playoffs so they weren’t really a contender then either (Beliveau’s swan song).  

Historically Vancouver has gone through at least two cores before they made it to the final, and the first one we got lucky given the path was wide open for them because the better teams lost in the West.  

I do agree with you that picking 11 or 12 instead of 16-18 and getting some playoff experience wouldn’t really matter so much in the draft (last year a lot of talent fell which had a rippling affect and very good prospects were still available up to 12, after that it was not so good though).  Ideally I’d like the team to trade for another lottery ticket, NYI were the clear winners last year with their two picks, but that won’t happen.

Either way we are winners as fans, if Benning can pick another Boeser instead of a McAan or Shinkurak or Gaunce we will be sorted going forward.  Odds are against that though.  

But a top three pick would be ideal, slim odds I know, we won’t get them at all if we make the playoffs though.

I agree with you 100%, a top 3 pick in this draft is the best thing long term, no question about it.  I do think that is out of the question at this point though.  At this point I'm holding out hope that we stay healthy, ,make the playoffs, and Demko has a rookie playoff run like Belfour, Roy, or Broduer!

Canucks did well today, and for the most part, their competition lost today (ARI is the exception)

best case scenarios for the next couple of days:

Jan 21:

NSH beats COL in regulation

LAK beats STL

VGK beats MIN in regulation

Jan 22:

OTT beats ARI

DET beats EDM

Best Case Standings:

WC1: COL - 49 GP / 52 PTS

WC2: VAN - 50 GP / 52 PTS

1: MIN - 49 GP / 51 PTS

2: ANA - 50 GP / 51 PTS

3: EDM - 50 GP / 49 PTS

4: ARI - 49 GP / 48 PTS

5: STL - 48 GP / 47 PTS

Worst Case Scenario:

WC1: MIN - 49 GP / 53 PTS

WC2: DAL - 49 GP / 52 PTS

1: VAN - 50 GP / 52 PTS

2: EDM - 50 GP / 51 PTS

3: ANA - 50 GP / 51 PTS

4: ARI - 49 GP / 50 PTS

One Point Scenario:

WC1: DAL - 49 GP / 52 PTS

WC2: MIN - 49 GP / 52 PTS

1: VAN - 50 GP / 52 PTS

2: ANA - 50 GP / 51 PTS

3: EDM - 50 GP / 50 PTS

4: ARI - 49 GP / 49 PTS

the west playoff bar is at 87 points right now, canucks only need 35 points to clinch, or a 17-14-1 record at this point based on the projection today. Though to be realistic, I think the actual bar will be around 91 points, in which canucks need to go 19-12-1 to clinch.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:17 AM, Rindiculous said:

Let's start off with saying I don't want Quinn Hughes playing more than 9 regular season games this year because that would burn off the first year of his ELC and he'd have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft.  Just looking at this for the good of the team, the more players exempt from this draft the better.  I definitely don't think he'd leave college early to sign with the Canucks.

Secondly, Markstrom is still a wild card.  Markstrom played quite well during the second half of last year too, so I'm hoping this is the same streak here.  Sure he can't keep up is .943 save percentage for December, but .920 would be respectable at least which is what he was doing in the back half of last year.  Remember before this streak of games he came off a horrendous streak.  As much as I wouldn't want to see this, I still have it in the back of my mind, but I'm cheering for him every day to keep this up.

Thirdly, I don't really want to look into general specifics.  I just want to enjoy the ride.  No need to complicate this.  I'm just gonna walk with Elias.

My thoughts exactly with Seattle coming in for a potential bite out of our roster and it makes sense to cover the core of the build and expose those who are older and more easy to replace, good post sir!

This part might get me flames but this year unless we get another skilled tougher players on D or forward we wouldn't last long if we made it in and flow and petey would be huge targets and i'd rather not see that happen since i doubt we'd get far anyway but the war of the playoffs and injuries that follow is not something a rebuilding team needs. I'd actually like it better if we didn't make it in unless we score big through trade or something or simply wait until next year and see how our prospects develop. I just don't want to see another sedin scenario again.

That was painful to watch.......... 

With a healthy roster, EP and this version of Markstrom (plus a terrible conference) we can absolutely make the playoffs.

Best case scenario, we make the playoffs and eliminate the Flames as payback for 2015, then go on a Cinderella run. Worst case scenario, we miss, but take a huge step forward as a team (and in our rebuild) and get a shot at the lottery. 

Either way, Nucks win.  

5 hours ago, iceman64 said:

My thoughts exactly with Seattle coming in for a potential bite out of our roster and it makes sense to cover the core of the build and expose those who are older and more easy to replace, good post sir!

This part might get me flames but this year unless we get another skilled tougher players on D or forward we wouldn't last long if we made it in and flow and petey would be huge targets and i'd rather not see that happen since i doubt we'd get far anyway but the war of the playoffs and injuries that follow is not something a rebuilding team needs. I'd actually like it better if we didn't make it in unless we score big through trade or something or simply wait until next year and see how our prospects develop. I just don't want to see another sedin scenario again.

That was painful to watch.......... 

I actually think we have pretty good team toughness. If we match up to flames in round one, I'm sure everyone remembers guddy breaking hamonics face. In terms of hockey toughness (not fights) We have guddy, Beagle, roussel, virtanen, Motte, Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, Hutton. Those guys are tough to play against and will wear you down in a 7 game series

I actually want to see a flames Canucks matchup first round. Return the favour from a few years ago. It's be great to see Virtanen running around like Ferland did and take uncalled charging infractions. There are less fights in the playoffs. Team toughness will win out. In fact, aren't we 2-1 against them this year with their lone win coming on a 3rd period comeback with some questionable penalties against the canucks? 

It should be 3-0 for season series. 

Also instead of 18 year old Sam benett, they'll be talking about Calder favourite elias 

On 1/19/2019 at 1:40 PM, IBatch said:

Problem is, whenever we've been in a position to get at top 3 we haven't anyways. This year's draft from 2 down to mid teens will be all over the map. Scouting is going to determine who wins past #2 so whether we draft 3, 6, 10, or 12 I am sure Benning will find another gem. Reality is the top end is all centers and LD (ranking wise), we need wingers or RD and there are many ranked mid to late first. Most teams love drafting centers and given Petey/Horvat/Guadette line up nicely now as our future top 3, we can be selective with centers and take them with higher risk/later picks. Given C's and LD are at the top end, we'll likely end up with one of the top RD's or wingers anyway.

We'll be fine and don't forget we have Hughes, Juolevi, Mceneny, Brisbois, Sautner, Tryamkin still in the mix. Teams are build from Goalie, D, center, out...we have most of that....Boston didn't have superstars when they beat us, they simply had depth and great goaltending. Teams like Toronto, and eventually Buffalo with all these high picks are going to run into cap trouble as well. The new model is a mix of talent, a team, and ensuring you're not tying up all our cap in a few players.

Toronto media is talking about the leafs 'having to go for it this year' because their cap problems will end their ability to dominate - can you imagine that? a window of 2 years long because you have too many players going to their second contracts eating your cap? JB has it right and we're probably better off not getting some kid who will demand 11 mil and finding a few or 2 that will command money like Bo and contribute the same.

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I actually think we have pretty good team toughness. If we match up to flames in round one, I'm sure everyone remembers guddy breaking hamonics face. In terms of hockey toughness (not fights) We have guddy, Beagle, roussel, virtanen, Motte, Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, Hutton. Those guys are tough to play against and will wear you down in a 7 game series

I actually want to see a flames Canucks matchup first round. Return the favour from a few years ago. It's be great to see Virtanen running around like Ferland did and take uncalled charging infractions. There are less fights in the playoffs. Team toughness will win out. In fact, aren't we 2-1 against them this year with their lone win coming on a 3rd period comeback with some questionable penalties against the canucks? 

It should be 3-0 for season series. 

Also instead of 18 year old Sam benett, they'll be talking about Calder favourite elias 

Not quite what i meant... does the name donald brashear ring a bell? We have zero like that.. someone who can be put on a line with Brock or Elias and not look out of place but we never had that now or before with the sedins with the exception of anson carter who was as close to the type of player as we ever had and we need two of those really but one would be enough as virtanen and mcewen could be 2nd n 3rd line candidates.. 

However your right that we have a deeper grit now than last years cream puff team outside of guddy but maybe Jimbo can pull something off is a maybe but we have to have someone like that or just more of the same... one elite 6'4- 6'5 who can thread a pass and punch like..

I don't know.. a young messier is the best way to describe but could we even afford one at this point having to sign Brock and Elias to long term.. our problem in a bottle.. cmon mr Benning, just one.. 

On 1/22/2019 at 12:14 AM, iceman64 said:

Not quite what i meant... does the name donald brashear ring a bell? We have zero like that.. someone who can be put on a line with Brock or Elias and not look out of place but we never had that now or before with the sedins with the exception of anson carter who was as close to the type of player as we ever had and we need two of those really but one would be enough as virtanen and mcewen could be 2nd n 3rd line candidates.. 

However your right that we have a deeper grit now than last years cream puff team outside of guddy but maybe Jimbo can pull something off is a maybe but we have to have someone like that or just more of the same... one elite 6'4- 6'5 who can thread a pass and punch like..

I don't know.. a young messier is the best way to describe but could we even afford one at this point having to sign Brock and Elias to long term.. our problem in a bottle.. cmon mr Benning, just one.. 

Brashear was a horrible hockey player but an excellent ass kicker. 

Who do you suggest JB goes after that fits the bill? 

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's seems as though people were worrying for nothing.

Or they still want to portray Benning as a bad GM so they're willing to defy logic, as well as evidence from previous trade deadlines, and say that he'll sell off the future for a playoff run. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Or they still want to portray Benning as a bad GM so they're willing to defy logic, as well as evidence from previous trade deadlines, and say that he'll sell off the future for a playoff run. 

That's probably more on point tbh. There's virtually no evidence to suggest that Benning is the type of GM that would go all in on a playoff run before we're ready to, but they gotta push that narrative regardless.

The canucks let a great opportunity slip away yesterday, but that does not mean the Canucks are out of it by any means, see below for possible playoff implications:

Wed, Jan 30:

BUF beats DAL in regulation

Fri, Feb 1:

CAR beats VGK

MIN beats DAL

Best Case Scenario:

WC1: COL: 50 GP / 52 PTS

WC2: DAL: 51 GP / 52 PTS

1: VAN: 51 GP / 52 PTS

Worst Case Scenario:

WC1: MIN: 50 GP / 55 PTS

WC2: COL: 50 GP / 52 PTS

1: VAN: 51 GP / 52 PTS

We'll be playing Colorado for a playoff spot no matter what on Saturday! So lets go Canucks!

team plays too inconsistent to be in the playoffs. However we've shown flashes what we could be. can only get better beyond this season. 

Character signings like Beagle and Rousell are displaying value on the ice

Benning knows whats he's doing, we just gotta trust "the process". Playoffs next year is more likely, and we will enter as a bigger threat

Canucks need to learn how to walk before they learn how to run

Playoffs are not this years objective.

Canucks need to first learn how to play good team defensive.... with consistent effort each game.

Winning will come eventually and playoffs at a later date.

Coach green still needs more players to buy in to the team approach.  Players need to understand their roles and learn to play properly in their own end of the rink. 

I don't think we are good enough, even with EP.

What is more I would see Green still changing his lines right up to the last reg season game - AND BEYOND. That is no recipe for a long run in the playoffs.

My personal opinion is Green constantly refuses to let chemistry  happen. He bricks it every time a line has a bad shift and chucks them in the blender AGAIN. Players need to be able to have a sixth sense of how their line mates are going to react, where they like the puck, their habits/eccentricities etc.

The Sedins were not just telepathic because they were Twins but because they played every shift with each other AND usually Burr.

Come on TRAVIS ffs you must know your ideal permutations after 50 games.

Archived