The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs, could it happen?

VanGnome

8 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Glad you asked.

Roussel, Eriksson, Virtanen, Goldobin, and Boeser have all also increased their ppg with Sutter out. So no, it's not an anomaly. 

Your reading comprehension requires some attention if you believe you were asked something there.

Shocking though, that players like Roussel, Eriksson etc might increase their production as the lineup loses multiple forwards, and they step up in the lineup,  play more minutes.  I think you forgot Josh Leivo!

I'd certainly try to find a way to blame that on Sutter lol.

You're outsmarting yourself.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Your reading comprehension requires some attention if you believe you were asked something there.

Shocking though, that players like Roussel, Eriksson etc might increase their production as the lineup loses multiple forwards, and they step up in the lineup,  play more minutes.  I think you forgot Josh Leivo!

I'd certainly try to find a way to blame that on Sutter lol.

You're outsmarting yourself.

Nope, you're trying to move the goalposts when you're wrong, as usual. 

Those are all causes to be really interested in the rest of the season imo - but the playoffs - and you're talking a real 'optimist' here - I'm not all that 'optimistic' in spite of those young guys - because I think the team will really need Sutter, Tanev (and/or Hutton)....

Without those guys - it's a one scoring line team with Horvat's playing too much shutdown

You are the one that said we are a one-line team when Sutter is out. Then I showed you how most of the players have done better with him out. Here's another tidbit: The Canucks have a higher gpg without Sutter overall. I'm making zero claims regarding this information, solely that in order to be a 'one scoring line team' without Sutter, the statistics have to back that up. Otherwise, you are simply just trying to pass off your opinion as a false fact. Unless you also mean to say we are a one line team with Sutter, but then what would be the point of saying that in the first place :lol: . If you want to salvage something at this point, you can try the 'what I meant was scoring line, Horvat is now a defensive line'. Though that is just picking at straws. We know what you meant, you've paraded this nonsense in other posts (usually saying that Horvat's production decreases..when it clearly does not, in fact, it goes up by quite a bit). 

Your claim is incorrect, sorry. 

5 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

If you want to salvage something at this point, you can try the 'what I meant was scoring line, Horvat is now a defensive line'. Though that is just picking at straws. We know what you meant, you've paraded this nonsense in other posts (usually saying that Horvat's production decreases..when it clearly does not, in fact, it goes up by quite a bit).

Not sure if serious.

What I've precisely said is that Horvat's line is drawn into shutdown/defensive zone starts in the absence of Sutter.  Try quoting something - representing what a person is saying and you save yourself this weak grasping.

And feel free to quote any of my posts that "usually say that Horvat's production decreases".   Just one will do.  Good luck with that.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not sure if serious.

What I've precisely said is that Horvat's line is drawn into shutdown/defensive zone starts in the absence of Sutter.  Try quoting something - representing what a person is saying and you save yourself this weak grasping.

And feel free to quote any of my posts that "usually say that Horvat's production decreases".   Just one will do.  Good luck with that.

Sure, here you go:

When the team had a second scoring line - ie when Sutter was in the lineup and Horvat was not forced into shutdown duty - EP's line was as 'planned' = they had hard-minutes shutdown support from the 'bottom 6' - and they had a second threat for opponents to handle = Horvat's line, which was likewise producing very nicely in less d-weighted minutes.

Overall Pearson at 39.8% ozone starts, with respectable 'possession' numbers (47.4% corsi) -  but bringing a bit more heaviness to the forward group.

Looking forward to what that line will look like when the team is healthy - with Sutter and Beagle lines intact, Horvat was up over 50% ozone starts (earlier in the season) - the team has that second scoring line, those guys production spike significantly (as does EP's....)

I guess teams don't need to worry about Horvat anymore, he's only put up a 68 point pace with Sutter out vs a 54 point pace with Sutter in :bigblush:

So the Canucks have eight games left to play and are four points out of a playoff spot. 

In their last five games they've secured 9 of a possible 10 points.

Hughes hasn't even played one game. Cant wait to see how he contributes to a team fighting for a playoff spot.

Could the Canucks make the playoffs? Yes. 

Will they?

Calgary
Columbus
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Jose
Nashville
St-Louis

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So the Canucks have eight games left to play and are four points out of a playoff spot. 

Hughes hasn't even played one game. Cant wait to see how he contributes to a team fighting for a playoff spot.

Will they?

Calgary
Columbus
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Jose
Nashville
St-Louis

1.6 % chance.

41 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Will they?

Calgary
Columbus
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Jose
Nashville
St-Louis

Could the Canucks make the playoffs? It's possible depending on if they pretty much  run the table. Will they? If the teams they are chasing have a losing record to close out the season. 

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

every year people formulate these over-thought (imo) rationalizations of probability.....

And every year there are unpredictable things that happen.  I think people overthink / 'analyze' these scenarios.

I mean - when you're talking about a 4 pt gap - you're talking about a two-game/win deficit - and it can be as simple as a few teams losing a couple consecutive games - and the entire formula becomes meaningless.   Literally 3 nights from now this team could be tied for a playoff spot.....

We'll know when we know - but to try to put a 1% on it isn't necessarily as 'rational' as the math might appear.

Yeah and I'm saying that the 4 point gap (now 5 point gap) is more than you think you consider the fact that it's not just one team that's ahead, it's 4 teams.

So even if we were ONE point behind all 4 teams for the last playoff spot, the possibility would still be very small, because there's 4 teams ahead and we need to outplay all of them.

In this situation, we need to not only outplay 4 teams, but vastly outplay Colorado, Arizona, and Minnesota, hence the even smaller probability.

I can take the probability component out completely and it would essentially be the same.

And of course, unexpected things do happen, but that's when you're not expecting them or thinking about them, which is why it seems like it happens so often. There's so many small probability events that people never think about because people have better things to worry about in life, and most of don't happen just as they shouldn't according to their probabilities. But it's the ones that do happen that catch our eye, and make the graphics on Sports Centre that say how small of a probability there was etc... and make us think math is wrong

When scoreboard watching, it's really only Minnesota, Colorado and Arizona that matter. This relates to post season play only. As far as draft goes, teams like Chicago, Edmonton, NYRs enter the conversation.

Personally, while I cheer, every game, for the Canucks to win, I'm not pro any post season. We're just too vulnerable physically. Some good would definitely come out of making the playoffs, but there's a lot of potential negatives too. Draft position wise, I don't really care. We're probably picking 9/ 10 ish ( pre lotto ). Picking 16 is not an issue.

Absolutely not on 'team tank', but don't want to make the playoffs because other teams lose to our advantage !

20 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Starts with a win tonight

D2VruJ2VYAAmTEj.jpg

Great chart. A touch on the optimistic side, especially for the mighty 'nucks, but nice to see. What is the source ? ( you ? ). It will have our resident haters' club howling at the moon !

12 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Great chart. A touch on the optimistic side, especially for the mighty 'nucks, but nice to see. What is the source ? ( you ? ). It will have our resident haters' club howling at the moon !

Not me

Archived