The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs, could it happen?

VanGnome

Right now a winning percentage above .500 gets you in the playoffs in the west.

IF the Canucks win their next four games in a row they will have a winning percentage above .500

Do that and then win more than they lose the rest of the way they will be in 

Winning next 4 in a row would make for a good offset to losing 12 or 13 which they did earlier.

Playoffs, are you kidding

Are best players get injured with ZERO retaliation , what do you think will happen in PLAYOFF Hockey ??? We are a team scared of its OWN shadow and its coming down from the COACH. he says the EP play was inocent play???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

If that was Pavel...... Gino would have wiped the ice with that Turd. SENT a very real message!!!

I wanted to see a teammate get 2, 5 10 and a game in retaliation, THAT sends a message

15 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

We are a playoff team if we can limit injuries to only a max of 2-3 players at a time.  No team can have 8 players out and not suffer.  

Many playoff teams have had over 8 players out and not only hung in there but won the cup, see Pittsburgh.

Anaheim has been decimated for the last 3 years and been first in the division and they had almost their entire "core" out, Getslaf, Perry, Kesler, Lindholm, Montour and Fowler all at the same time with Getslaf, Perry and Kesler out for over 30 games, no crying in that town.

This team is only close because of the schedule, a lot of posters are being fooled, they have been playing really good and getting great goal tending right? how many spot have they moved up? One spot over the last two weeks and they played more games again yet.

Teams below the Canucks, one team has 6 games in hand, FIVE teams have 5 games in hand, 3 teams have 4 games in hand and 3 teams with 2 or 3 games in hand.

Now should we do potential points? That would be 12, 10, 8, 6 and 4 points.

The Canucks are just 9 points out of DFL now, with all these extra games played, how good they have been playing lately and how good Markstrom has been.

Why would anyone want this team to make the playoffs at this time? To what end?

17 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Absolutely it can happen with the way our team is trending. Plus, we're about to be a completely healthy team for, hopefully, the entire second half of the season. 

No Stinky Pete, No playoffs. Pete is responsible for 17% of the scoring!

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He'll be back in a couple games from the sounds of it. Also, are you me as an infant? Welcome to CDC :lol:

A couple more losses and they are out of the playoff hunt. The Oilers have 4 games in hand so better hope Mcdavid and Leon stop scoring every single game and they put Talbot back in net.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:45 PM, Shift-4 said:

Right now a winning percentage above .500 gets you in the playoffs in the west.

IF the Canucks win their next four games in a row they will have a winning percentage above .500

Do that and then win more than they lose the rest of the way they will be in 

Winning next 4 in a row would make for a good offset to losing 12 or 13 which they did earlier.

They need to catch Anaheim for the 2nd wildcard spot.   Canucks are 0.500.  

San Jose is 3rd in the Pacific at 0.605 - that's probably out of reach.

Colorado  0.561      4th in the Central       wildcard 1

Anaheim  0.549      4th in the Pacific        wildcard 2

Minnesota  0.526   5th in the Central

Even if by some miracle we were to sneak into the playoffs, chances are then we'd face Winnipeg right away and that would be the end of it. 4 or 5 playoff games and no draft lottery, just an extra week or so of watching our team get smacked around.

23 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Many playoff teams have had over 8 players out and not only hung in there but won the cup, see Pittsburgh.

Anaheim has been decimated for the last 3 years and been first in the division and they had almost their entire "core" out, Getslaf, Perry, Kesler, Lindholm, Montour and Fowler all at the same time with Getslaf, Perry and Kesler out for over 30 games, no crying in that town.

This team is only close because of the schedule, a lot of posters are being fooled, they have been playing really good and getting great goal tending right? how many spot have they moved up? One spot over the last two weeks and they played more games again yet.

Teams below the Canucks, one team has 6 games in hand, FIVE teams have 5 games in hand, 3 teams have 4 games in hand and 3 teams with 2 or 3 games in hand.

Now should we do potential points? That would be 12, 10, 8, 6 and 4 points.

The Canucks are just 9 points out of DFL now, with all these extra games played, how good they have been playing lately and how good Markstrom has been.

Why would anyone want this team to make the playoffs at this time? To what end?

I see it differently.  

Maybe other teams have faired better with injuries, but those teams have had established stars and depth.  Notice I am only talking about the playoffs, not contending.  Added to that we are adding a significant player to our roster prior to the end of the season in Quinn Hughes.  

You also completely ignored and did not directly respond to my premise that this teams numbers are skewed by the stretch affected by the decimation.  

We have played more games, there fore our numbers have been more affected by that stretch.  

Since going 3-10-1 due to injuries, not scheduling, we are 10-5-1.  A plus 16 as a club. Prior to the 3-10-1  So are we a 10-5-1 team, a 3-10-1 team, or a .500 team?  

Added to that we were around a .600 team prior to the injuries.  

My POV is that we are much better than a .500 hockey club.  Now that EP40 is injured, that could shift, but for how long and is it possible with the play of Marky, Horvat and Boeser that this team stay closer to my prediction than yours? 

I would say yes. Beyond that, if EP40 is out solely as a precautionary move/minor injury.  With EP40 in the lineup,is this team a better than .500 hockey team.  Again yes.  

Your simplistic POV is the number take into account all possibilities.  That taken the good and the bad, this team is only a .500 hockey club.  

This fails to adjust itself to the impact key roster players make.  Edler in the line up is just one of those players.  Horvat in lineup with a healthy Sutter/beagle to take defensive assignments is one of those players.  A healthy Boeser is one of those players.  Marky in his current form is one of those players.  EP40 is one of those players.  

Keeping this team above .500 is possible of only one of those guys is injured at a time.  We can take injuries in other areas, but only one of these can guys can be out of the lineup at one stretch of time.  

Anaheim is a completely different team a much stronger team, a deeper team.  WTF cares what Anaheim did and when?  It has absolutely no bearing on how this team performs.  

So you can take the simple POV, not address anything I say and it doesn't matter.  You may be right in the outcome only if injuries take down this team, exposing a depth that inexperienced for this year.  

But you would wrong about why.  To miss.the playoffs due to losing key players to injury is due to misfortune.  Not a lack of talent or ability or the better performance of other teams.  

This team hit bottom over the last two seasons.  This year is proving the validity of JB's hiring.  His drafted players are making the difference.  His model of rebuilding has shown the right results.  

Not doe to luck, but insight.  Credit is due and as I have said in other threads.  If this team makes the playoffs, JB deserves a nomination for the GM of the year.  

Archived