The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs, could it happen?

VanGnome

23 hours ago, mll said:

They need to catch Anaheim for the 2nd wildcard spot.   Canucks are 0.500.  

San Jose is 3rd in the Pacific at 0.605 - that's probably out of reach.

Colorado  0.561      4th in the Central       wildcard 1

Anaheim  0.549      4th in the Pacific        wildcard 2

Minnesota  0.526   5th in the Central

Stats geeks take a closer look at this teams performance when realivily healthy vs having 8 key players injured.  

That is the key to making the playoffs.  Staying relatively healthy.  Do that I argue this team is closer to .600 team bs a .500 team.  

Since crater we have gone 10-6-1, plus 14 and not losing two in a row.  

We had a very similar performance prior to the Crater in November as well.  This isn't unreasonable and I see this team as quite capable of making the playoffs this year, especially adding Demko and Hughes.  

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

So you can take the simple POV, not address anything I say and it doesn't matter.  You may be right in the outcome only if injuries take down this team, exposing a depth that inexperienced for this year.

My POV is that injuries ARE PART OF HOCKEY. Only in video games can a team go injury free for a season. If every team went injury free, in your assessment would they all be successful?

BTW, I have posted that I am afraid EP might be too good and push this team into mediocrity without the pieces needed to be a contender and not just a pretender.

And for three years I have posted that the team would look better without much improvement due to some teams aging out.

Pettersson is really good and a super bright light for the future but the Sedins and Vanek were no slouches either or the Sedins and Vrbata, it is still a lot of points to make up, over 150 points.

WTF cares what Anaheim did and when?  It has absolutely no bearing on how this team performs.  

Of course it does, Anaheim and every other team have a bearing, the Canucks have to play them, it could be said the Canucks only won because they or any other team had injuries. If not for other teams there would be no playoffs, just participation medals.

Stats geeks take a closer look at this teams performance when realivily healthy vs having 8 key players injured.  

That is the key to making the playoffs.  Staying relatively healthy.  Do that I argue this team is closer to .600 team bs a .500 team.  

Since crater we have gone 10-6-1, plus 14 and not losing two in a row.  

We had a very similar performance prior to the Crater in November as well.  This isn't unreasonable and I see this team as quite capable of making the playoffs this year, especially adding Demko and Hughes.  

Look at all teams then when healthy, look at Nashville, all teams. If all the teams are perfectly healthy the Canucks are not a playoff team.

The playoff could happen, just like the blip in 2014 when a bunch of teams tanked for a chance and better odds to get McDavid, but IMO it is too soon, there isn't enough depth of proven players and some of the corner stones of this team are aging out, where is this team without Edler and Tanev. OJ is far from being a top 4 defencemen in the NHL and Hughes is not established yet.

31 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

My POV is that injuries ARE PART OF HOCKEY. Only in video games can a team go injury free for a season. If every team went injury free, in your assessment would they all be successful?

BTW, I have posted that I am afraid EP might be too good and push this team into mediocrity without the pieces needed to be a contender and not just a pretender.

And for three years I have posted that the team would look better without much improvement due to some teams aging out.

Pettersson is really good and a super bright light for the future but the Sedins and Vanek were no slouches either or the Sedins and Vrbata, it is still a lot of points to make up, over 150 points.

Of course it does, Anaheim and every other team have a bearing, the Canucks have to play them, it could be said the Canucks only won because they or any other team had injuries. If not for other teams there would be no playoffs, just participation medals.

Look at all teams then when healthy, look at Nashville, all teams. If all the teams are perfectly healthy the Canucks are not a playoff team.

The playoff could happen, just like the blip in 2014 when a bunch of teams tanked for a chance and better odds to get McDavid, but IMO it is too soon, there isn't enough depth of proven players and some of the corner stones of this team are aging out, where is this team without Edler and Tanev. OJ is far from being a top 4 defencemen in the NHL and Hughes is not established yet.

Injuries happen.  Yes that is obvious to everyone.  Points matter?  Goals matter.  The teams goals for projections are vastly improved this season.  Henrik managed 3 goals last year.  Goals against matters.  Not always a reliable individual stat, but a damn reliable team stat.  Again, improved.  

Again you are ignoring my key premise.  This team is better than its record shows.  Their schedule actually has made their record worse due to how many games they played with so many key injuries.  

What Anahiem does is red herring.  When healthy this team can play solid hockey and win games against teams with better records.  

It's not a hard concept.  Of this team is healthy vs any other team in the league, I think this team can win, and will win at a .600 pace. 

You dont have to agree, but I have a reasonable argument that you will not directly address.  

24 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Injuries happen.  Yes that is obvious to everyone.  Points matter?  Goals matter.  The teams goals for projections are vastly improved this season.  Henrik managed 3 goals last year.  Goals against matters.  Not always a reliable individual stat, but a damn reliable team stat.  Again, improved.  

Again you are ignoring my key premise.  This team is better than its record shows.  Their schedule actually has made their record worse due to how many games they played with so many key injuries.  

What Anahiem does is red herring.  When healthy this team can play solid hockey and win games against teams with better records.  

It's not a hard concept.  Of this team is healthy vs any other team in the league, I think this team can win, and will win at a .600 pace. 

You dont have to agree, but I have a reasonable argument that you will not directly address.  

Clearly a difference of opinion, I think Markstrom has stolen 4 to 6 games this year, all by himself, that is improvement.

There record with injuries is less than it was when Torts was here, he had both Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Tanev, Kesler and Hamhuis all injured, no Luongo and no Schnides and they missed the playoffs by 8 points in a compressed schedule just like this one and he was fired because this management group thought he was not a good coach. So now comes two old buddies coaching.

I get that the young guys playing key roles looks so good and it is good, but I ask what is the worth of a playoff spot? What happens if they make it? How many more years does that add to trying to get a seat in a cup final again? The team could end up like Calgary did, 10+ years of "almost" or Edmonton's playoff two years ago and then failure.

Whether they could make the playoffs is one question whether they should be is another, one is shallow and the other deep. Don't just think of today, plan for tomorrow. Instant success can be followed with instant failure. After the debacle of the last 3 years the team has to follow a slower plan because aging assets were not moved or exchanged for younger assets.

Every dog can have its day currently, before today's game vs TO, the Nucks have around a 26% chance of making the playoffs, but three other teams are ahead of them so they have to major help.

BTW this team has not won any games against a perfectly healthy team since Nov 15, as no team has been perfectly healthy. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Do I think the Canucks will make the playoffs?  No....I don’t unfortunately.  However - my initial prediction for this season was that the Canucks would end up somewhere between 85-88 points, and that we would make the playoffs starting in 2019-2020 (1st round exit).

I also predicted that 2020-2021 would be the year that the Canucks would return to being an elite team.

My biggest concern for this year’s version of the Canucks is that they are still the most sensitive team in the NHL to injuries.......and that when they are faced with some key injuries, they free fall into oblivion.

Granted, they are becoming a deeper team thanks to their astute drafting and player development, but they aren’t there yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Clearly a difference of opinion, I think Markstrom has stolen 4 to 6 games this year, all by himself, that is improvement.

There record with injuries is less than it was when Torts was here, he had both Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Tanev, Kesler and Hamhuis all injured, no Luongo and no Schnides and they missed the playoffs by 8 points in a compressed schedule just like this one and he was fired because this management group thought he was not a good coach. So now comes two old buddies coaching.

I get that the young guys playing key roles looks so good and it is good, but I ask what is the worth of a playoff spot? What happens if they make it? How many more years does that add to trying to get a seat in a cup final again? The team could end up like Calgary did, 10+ years of "almost" or Edmonton's playoff two years ago and then failure.

Whether they could make the playoffs is one question whether they should be is another, one is shallow and the other deep. Don't just think of today, plan for tomorrow. Instant success can be followed with instant failure. After the debacle of the last 3 years the team has to follow a slower plan because aging assets were not moved or exchanged for younger assets.

Every dog can have its day currently, before today's game vs TO, the Nucks have around a 26% chance of making the playoffs, but three other teams are ahead of them so they have to major help.

BTW this team has not won any games against a perfectly healthy team since Nov 15, as no team has been perfectly healthy. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Both valid points of view.  

I see things as a glass half full.  The west is wide open, and without Petey, we have had 4 points in 4 games.  With Petey I think we would have gained 2 points.  

Markstrom's improved play has been key to this teams success this year.  The defence is playing better as a unit vs last year.  Our PK has been solid and on offense this team is vastly out performing the precious year.  

The one nice thing that Petey's injury has shown is how good Baer is.  The guy is heads and shoulders better than Goldy.  IMO Bear Petey and Brock is a really good top line.  Not physical but will skate circles around the opposition.  

The club has indicated that they are pushing for a playoff spot this year.  We have almost no chance at Hughes, good thing we already have one....  

I see this team a needed to mature... pushing for the playoffs will mature this roster.  As a Canucks fan, I have no issue with drafting, so weird to say that ;) JB and Brackett have a good thing going.  Watched a redraft clip on TSN, Brock went to 4th from 23rd.  

I dont have any issue with drafting in the middle of the pack.  We have to add depth and need one top 6 LW and should really add a top 2 RHD to pair with Hughes.  Drafting is only one way to get those players.  

I would expect Petey to bring some energy to the team.  This team has to protect him.  At home Green can match him up  but on the road, skate Virtannen or Rousell with him.  

I want to add one thing.  I this team cracks the playoffs this year, it would only get better.  EP40, Brock, Hughes and Bo are character players, not primadonnas.  Demko is a gamer, so is Dipietro and Markey looks like a real starter now.  

I dont see this team struggling in mediocrity with the guys JB is bringing in.  Whether we win the cup, that's not something I can foresee either way, but we have gamers, that's for sure.  

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Watched a redraft clip on TSN, Brock went to 4th from 23rd.

Like to see that clip considering all the pro draft scouting agencies (over ten) had him way back from there.

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I want to add one thing.  I this team cracks the playoffs this year, it would only get better.  EP40, Brock, Hughes and Bo are character players, not primadonnas.  Demko is a gamer, so is Dipietro and Markey looks like a real starter now. 

Have you watched the playoffs recently, some people will need to be reminded that the nice regular season is not the playoffs, Brock and EP would be targeted by the biggest meanest hitters on the other side and those guys (likely fringe players) are not going to offer a cup of tea. Could you see 5 Ferlands skating around running EP and Boeser. Does anyone think one Guddy is a deterrent for Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry? Or Wheeler, Byfuglien, Lowry or Scheifele?

Making the playoffs would encourage a false sense of improvement, so much attention is put on a last playoff spot nobody is looking at how far behind the best teams this group has fallen, yes gone backwards. It is another strange season. like the McDavid draft year, some teams are surprisingly and unexpectedly bad.

This irrational idea perpetuated by the media of a playoff is setting up the TDL for paralysis, if the Canucks trade Tanev, Edler or Markstrom they will look like they are throwing in the towel, that would be the media's spin, 100's of hours of debate and negativity. The media wold love for the team to be a long time almost team, lots of items to talk about year after year, twice as many issues each season.

They need to get something for Edler and any other FA vets while they are worth something, if all these posters and management is so much in bed with OJ then they can do this deal expecting OJ to be able to take Edler's spot easily and so make him available. Playoff bound teams will trade a 1rst round pick as that pick will be 16 to 31 and the odds are not great to get a 1rst line player at that position.

21 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Like to see that clip considering all the pro draft scouting agencies (over ten) had him way back from there.

Have you watched the playoffs recently, some people will need to be reminded that the nice regular season is not the playoffs, Brock and EP would be targeted by the biggest meanest hitters on the other side and those guys (likely fringe players) are not going to offer a cup of tea. Could you see 5 Ferlands skating around running EP and Boeser. Does anyone think one Guddy is a deterrent for Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry? Or Wheeler, Byfuglien, Lowry or Scheifele?

Making the playoffs would encourage a false sense of improvement, so much attention is put on a last playoff spot nobody is looking at how far behind the best teams this group has fallen, yes gone backwards. It is another strange season. like the McDavid draft year, some teams are surprisingly and unexpectedly bad.

This irrational idea perpetuated by the media of a playoff is setting up the TDL for paralysis, if the Canucks trade Tanev, Edler or Markstrom they will look like they are throwing in the towel, that would be the media's spin, 100's of hours of debate and negativity. The media wold love for the team to be a long time almost team, lots of items to talk about year after year, twice as many issues each season.

They need to get something for Edler and any other FA vets while they are worth something, if all these posters and management is so much in bed with OJ then they can do this deal expecting OJ to be able to take Edler's spot easily and so make him available. Playoff bound teams will trade a 1rst round pick as that pick will be 16 to 31 and the odds are not great to get a 1rst line player at that position.

The re draft was done this year... looking back at who would be picked when based on their performance so far.  Was stoked that Boeser went 4th without question.  He has 48 goals in 89 games played.... 

The fear of success I believe is based on the past Canucks teams.  WD's first season is the most glaring example.  This is a totally different team, a whole lot younger, more resilient and with a lot more energy.  

Any notion that making the playoffs will hurt this team is a the last gasp of the tank team.  I was a tanker and then the season started and this team just couldn't tank, these guys are hungry.  

Not making the playoffs vs making the playoffs is the difference of a few draft spots.  Most likely this is a bubble team.  No top 10 pick for us this year.  I dont see that as an issue.  

JB will continue to find players that will contribute from the draft.... Gaudette anyone? Brock went 23rd.... Woo is a second rounder, Demko a second rounder etc... 

JB has brought the Canucks a stabilizing force by having a good scouting regime and a sound drafting strategy.  Give this guy a pick in each round anywhere and he will find 1-3 NHL players.  That is huge.  

I would like to swing for the fences.... either at the end of this year or prior to next year.  Endorse this current team and its turn around by showing the players in the locker room that you believe in them.  Some surprising teams are struggling this year and some good players are reportedly available.  I see the Canucks of having the potential to put together a strong package to acquire the hard to get right player.  

Because JB can draft, the pipeline will continue to supply entry level talent allowing secondary players and role players to be moved for other assets.  

We have the right kind of key players.  Two legit top six centers.  A future yet unproven puck moving defenceman, a a deep goalie pool, a bonafide sniper etc... 

We have good players at the secondary level, Baer is showing that he is the second most skilled player on the roster after EP40.  I am excited to see those two together.  Even on separate lines, Baer will connect with better chances against the secondary defenders once EP40 is back taking on the top d every night.  

Hughes will be one of our top 3 skill guys, when has a d man every been considered a skill player in Vancouver? I think it is vital to pair him with the best possible option as a d partner.  Why draft Hughes and not invest in making him as successful as possible.  

One day Woo could be that guy, but that is a long way off.  This is the biggest hole on the team and defence is pur biggest weakness so far.  LW is another, but is easier to acquire.  

We are not going to be able to tank with this group.... those days are over.  

Time to make the best possible situation with the hand we have.  We have the key players already, finding guys to support those players is well underway.  We are 1-2 players from being a legit playoff team.  With maturity this team will be a contender.  Time is on this teams side and any experience is good for this teams development.  

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The re draft was done this year... looking back at who would be picked when based on their performance so far.  Was stoked that Boeser went 4th without question.  He has 48 goals in 89 games played.... 

The fear of success I believe is based on the past Canucks teams.  WD's first season is the most glaring example.  This is a totally different team, a whole lot younger, more resilient and with a lot more energy.  

Any notion that making the playoffs will hurt this team is a the last gasp of the tank team.  I was a tanker and then the season started and this team just couldn't tank, these guys are hungry.  

Not making the playoffs vs making the playoffs is the difference of a few draft spots.  Most likely this is a bubble team.  No top 10 pick for us this year.  I dont see that as an issue.  

JB will continue to find players that will contribute from the draft.... Gaudette anyone? Brock went 23rd.... Woo is a second rounder, Demko a second rounder etc... 

JB has brought the Canucks a stabilizing force by having a good scouting regime and a sound drafting strategy.  Give this guy a pick in each round anywhere and he will find 1-3 NHL players.  That is huge.  

I would like to swing for the fences.... either at the end of this year or prior to next year.  Endorse this current team and its turn around by showing the players in the locker room that you believe in them.  Some surprising teams are struggling this year and some good players are reportedly available.  I see the Canucks of having the potential to put together a strong package to acquire the hard to get right player.  

Because JB can draft, the pipeline will continue to supply entry level talent allowing secondary players and role players to be moved for other assets.  

We have the right kind of key players.  Two legit top six centers.  A future yet unproven puck moving defenceman, a a deep goalie pool, a bonafide sniper etc... 

We have good players at the secondary level, Baer is showing that he is the second most skilled player on the roster after EP40.  I am excited to see those two together.  Even on separate lines, Baer will connect with better chances against the secondary defenders once EP40 is back taking on the top d every night.  

Hughes will be one of our top 3 skill guys, when has a d man every been considered a skill player in Vancouver? I think it is vital to pair him with the best possible option as a d partner.  Why draft Hughes and not invest in making him as successful as possible.  

One day Woo could be that guy, but that is a long way off.  This is the biggest hole on the team and defence is pur biggest weakness so far.  LW is another, but is easier to acquire.  

We are not going to be able to tank with this group.... those days are over.  

Time to make the best possible situation with the hand we have.  We have the key players already, finding guys to support those players is well underway.  We are 1-2 players from being a legit playoff team.  With maturity this team will be a contender.  Time is on this teams side and any experience is good for this teams development.  

I like the enthusiasm and optimistic view.

There are a few issues though one is time, time will take out Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Edler, Sven, Roussel, Biega over the next year or two, Sven and his 15 goals a season are easily replaced but the shear number of players needing replacing will take the team down for awhile.

The problem now is the team is performing decently in the regular season because of one single player, EP and that is not enough depth. For all the last 4 years posters have been crowing about the prospect pool only 3 prospects are now regular NHL players, 4 years.

I just don't think Sven is on par with Pettersson, not even close but even if he is supposed to be so good why has the team done so poorly? All the chatter about players NOT IN THE NHL is great for a computer game and selling hope and tickets but there has to be some realistic doubt when the aren't making the team, this team, the team with all these great players that has been the worst in the league over the last four years.

IMO crediting Woo, OJ, Demko, or any of the other prospects as being the saviours is no different than saying the 2022 draft pick will be the ONE. Until they actually play they are a hope.

Even this year management didn't have room for more than one rookie/draft pick on the team and they had to demote a vet to get than spot, it doesn't look like a great plan if they had to do that, sure they said they would make room if, IF necessary but they didn't plan for it as a sure thing.

Have you looked at teams that get caught in mediocrity, teams like the old Canucks or even the teams in the league today? Teams that make the playoffs or are just about there year after year but are one and done? Columbus had their playoff appearance 3 years ago and are now just a "wannabe" team, Minny a one and done show, Dallas, Florida is another that had their playoff appointment and then 3 years of almost. Why did that happen? How did some teams break that circle? What do the really good teams have that this team and those other "close/bubble" don't have? 

The Canucks just might make the playoffs and then Boeser and Pettersson will be flattened by the heavy checking, some young kid running around seeing how Wilson and Reeves got big paydays.  

The draft redone? In truth if every draft was redone then the Canucks come out way ahead.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

Fair questions but, imo, they are three separate conversations each with their own dynamics. 

Just looking at "how many more years," the biggest challenge becomes time itself. And I think this is what ultimately makes this question increasingly difficult to answer.

This April Horvat will be 24 and been with the team 5 seasons. If we spend the next 3 years focused on getting more top 5 or top 10 picks and not looking at playoffs, that's another 3 years burned from a player that was supposed to be an integral piece of our future. 

Keep in mind, within those 3 years, most of our prospects would still be 2-5 years away from regular NHL action. So on one level we'd be adding more years to current roster players from a "not ready for playoffs" mindset, while on another level still waiting on years for even more new prospects to be ready.

And it's likely (as we've been seeing) within those 3 more years the team is going to continue to get better. So organically the team will be closer and closer to the playoffs. Do you allow that to happen and build on that, or do you somehow prevent that from happening to get more picks?

So, to me, the flip side of the "how many more years" question is ... how many more years do we continue to wait for the future to arrive?

I'm not saying there's right or wrong. It's not an easy answer. 

I tend to look at it more from a "what is" perspective than "what if" or "could happen" place. Right now, what is ... is that we're in the hunt for a playoff spot. It is what it is ... and there is good in it.

Also from a what is place, we're better than expected and in some ways ahead of schedule. I think the future is much closer than people believed it would be this season.

Just dealing with those "what is" factors, I think we need to let the playoffs play out organically. It's in the hands of the players. 

At the same time, I do think JB needs to get his sh** in gear and really prepare for the upcoming draft. If the team does get into the playoffs, and is going to be better organically next season with say the additions of Hughes, Juolevi, maybe Dahlen, etc ... JB needs to work to get us a first or early second rounder. How that happens, I don't know, but I think this upcoming draft could be a turning point in answering whether the future is here now or off in the distance. 

Great day for canucks hockey!

Best Case results for tomorrow:

NJD Beats ANA in regulation

LAK beats COL in regulation

OTT Beats STL in regulation

CBJ Beats MIN in regulation

CGY Beats EDM in regulation

Best Case Scenario:

WC1: COL - 48 GP / 50 PTS

WC2: VAN - 49 GP / 50 PTS

1: MIN - 48 GP / 49 PTS

2: EDM - 48 GP / 49 PTS

3: ANA - 49 GP / 49 PTS

4: ARI - 47 GP / 46 PTS

5: STL - 47 GP / 45 PTS

Worst Case Scenario:

WC1: MIN - 48 GP / 51 PTS

WC2: EDM - 48 GP / 51 PTS

1: ANA - 49 GP / 51 PTS

2: DAL - 48 GP / 50 PTS

3: VAN - 49 GP / 50 PTS

4: STL - 47 GP / 47 PTS

5: ARI - 47 GP / 46 PTS

Single Point Scenario:

WC1: DAL - 48 GP / 50 PTS

WC2: MIN - 48 GP / 50 PTS

1: EDM - 48 GP / 50 PTS

2: VAN - 49 GP / 50 PTS

3: ANA - 49 GP / 50 PTS

4: STL - 47 GP / 46 PTS

5: ARI - 47 GP / 46 PTS

Realistically speaking there's about 3 playoff spots for 5 teams at the moment excluding the Coyotes who could easily sneak into that conversation. Everything to play for down the stretch and the games against each other will be massive 4 point games. Colorado's losing streak has brought them down to that mix as well.

It'll really depend which teams are clutch and which ones aren't down the stretch. Colorado have a lot of clutch forwards but defensively could be a bit leaky. The same could be said for Edmonton. Minnesota are in a transition year and could go either way, as could the Canucks.

The last 20-30 games of the season is really when good defending and goaltending trumps all. It's been a shoot-out so far this season but I think when it gets down to crunch time good defence is going to come out on top as it does in the playoffs. Here's hoping Edler, Tanev, Markstrom and Demko are a good enough combo to drag the kids across the line because to be fair we have a better top-4 and goalie than a lot of those other fringe playoff teams.

I think a more valid title for this thread would be should the Canucks make the playoffs.  We are a long way yet from becoming a contender, yes playoff games mean playoff experience, but another lottery ticket would go a long way in adding some prospect depth in two to four years when the team will need both the elc’s coming in and ideally one more blue chip prospect.

Yes their will be some decent players left to get in the middle of the first round, but if I could pick either a handful of playoff games this year, or a top three in this draft (in this scenario the lottery balls are in our favour), I’d pick the top three pick every time.

I think a more valid title for this thread would be should the Canucks make the playoffs.  We are a long way yet from becoming a contender, yes playoff games mean playoff experience, but another lottery ticket would go a long way in adding some prospect depth in two to four years when the team will need both the elc’s coming in and ideally one more blue chip prospect.

Yes their will be some decent players left to get in the middle of the first round, but if I could pick either a handful of playoff games this year, or a top three in this draft (in this scenario the lottery balls are in our favour), I’d pick the top three pick every time.

I started looking more into the draft prospects after the top 7, what a mix of opinions from the 12 scouting sites I watch. I could not find a standout after the top 4 actually so it could be another draft like the one that got Pettersson, shallow.

It is starting to look like if the team gets close to the playoffs they should consider trading away their #1 in an attempt to get as many 2020 picks as possible, that draft is looking much deeper with 7 or 8 kids already standing out., if they cannot trade up to a top 3 selection.

They only have to worry about next year because there will be a labour dispute in 2020/2021, agents making contracts with low salary and huge signing bonuses, Seattle expansion delayed for a year, cancellation of the World Cup and if you believe there isn't enough time remember Bettman/NHL said they needed at least a month for Olympic participation and the WC is more than 18 months away, the number of contracts teams have that expire for that year, the NHLPA already telling player to prepare.

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This team is too good to be a bottom 5 team.  We have so many players that have had far better seasons than expected ie: EP, Horvat, Virtanen, Markstrom, Edler, Hutton.  Baertschi has just returned and looked real good, we got Leivo for free, Demko is now up, and should at least be a far better back up than Nillson.  Barring a crazy stretch of injuries, we will end up ahead of the Hawks, Kings, Flyers, Wings, Senators,Devils, Panthers, Blues, we are flat out better than all of them.  We will at likley also end up ahead of a few of AZ, NYR, Anaheim, Oilers. 

To me the question at this point is would you rather pick 10-12 with a slight chance of winning a lottery slot, or pick at 16 and get this group into the playoffs.  I'd take the playoff experience without question.  We have some solid shutdown guys in our bottom 6 and some high end talent up front, and our goaltending may be far better with Demko up.  We have played very well against the top teams in the league this year.  No, we probably don't beat the Flames, Jets, Preds, or sharks in a 7 game series,  but I'd take that chance over 5 draft positions.  

Archived