Sign in to follow this  
VanGnome

Playoffs, could it happen?

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hell Edmonton is on the cusp of a second rebuild in 10 years after failing to complete the first even with McDavid :lol:

The Oilers are probably the best example for sure, Crazy what's going on there.  The Panthers, Canes, Coyotes, are up there as well.  The Leafs, Jackets, Islanders, Jets/ATL are good now but were dismal for a decade. 

JB has not been perfect by any means, but has turned around a pretty good rebuild in 5 years.  The Sedins were a unique situation in that they were very challenging to trade.  I think keeping them was the right call, but we probably would have got a 1st and a a/b prospect for each of them if they could have been split up.  That would have put us in a very good spot!

• Hydration 1

34 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I can 't beleive the amount of people here moaning about where this team is at, blows my mind.  We are in the middle of a rebuild, 4 years removed from a 100 point season and a long stretch of years competitive teams.   We landed an all world talent in EP that nobody was really expecting.  We would be a bottom 5 team without him, but because he is here, we are in the mix for a playoff spot.  Our youth is still a year away, EP cannot speed that up.  We've had 5 rookies, Demko, EP, Gaudette, Brisebois, Macewen all get NHL time this year, and Hughes will likely to.  We've got a few high end young talents, a few established NHL guys, lots of scrubs and filler, a boatload of A and B prospects in the system, and a ton of cap space.  This rebuild  is right on track, and will be coming to a close as early as next season.  That is pretty damn good, lot's of teams take a decade or more get out of rebuilds.

A lot to agree with, EP was a gift for this franchise BUT as good as he is this is still a bottom 5 team it is just there are more teams having really bad years but the standings may correct themselves over the next 3 weeks. The gap may end up being smaller but still there.

I surely hope that Benning doesn't trade picks for more 3rd/4th

Schneids came in with the Devils down 4-1 and slammed the door, Cory helping us out! :)

New Jersey Devils goaltender Cory Schneider picked up his first win since Dec. 27, 2017, in a 5-4 victory over the Minnesota Wild. Nico Hischier tallied the winner in overtime as the Devils overcame a three-goal deficit. The Wild (60 points) are clinging to the final Western Conference playoff spot, sitting one point up on the Vancouver Canucks.

19 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

A lot to agree with, EP was a gift for this franchise BUT as good as he is this is still a bottom 5 team it is just there are more teams having really bad years but the standings may correct themselves over the next 3 weeks. The gap may end up being smaller but still there.

I surely hope that Benning doesn't trade picks for more 3rd/4th

I agree, JB shouldn' be adding.  Hold the course.  We were supposed to be a bottom 5 rebuiding team, that is right where we should be.  EP doing his thing and pushing us up the standings should change any of the long term plans.  Our rebuild was tracking well before the season started, it is tracking exceptionally well now.

We are in the running for that really bad last wild card spot. Carolina is out of the playoffs in the east and has 8 more points than the last wild card holder in the west. At this rate with no team emerging Vancouver very well could make the playoffs with being marginally better than a 500 team. With our remaining 22 games if we win 13 or so we could probably even make the playoffs with the 83-85 points on the season.

regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not i think the experience the team is getting playing down the stretch with something on the ine is going to come in valuable when we become a team that can challenge for a spot every season. making the playoffs is a goal but winning the cup is the ultimate goal.There are steps along the way. This is one of them. Its a far cry from being the worst team in the league as was expected

• Hydration 1

We don't play again for 4 days, When we play ARZ Thursday night, none of the other teams in the wild card race will have games in hand on us and we will actually have games in hand on CHI, MIN, and ANA.

We have 22 games remaining of which 14 are at home

We will see where we are after Thursday night.

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

We don't play again for 4 days, When we play ARZ Thursday night, none of the other teams in the wild card race will have games in hand on us and we will actually have games in hand on CHI, MIN, and ANA.

I get all excited during games, and cheer madly for us to win so we have a shot at the playoffs.  Then, after the game, I come to my senses and realize we need another top five (or higher) pick. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I get all excited during games, and cheer madly for us to win so we have a shot at the playoffs.  Then, after the game, I come to my senses and realize we need another top five (or higher) pick. 

Well Alf, If you look at our last 3 games in April we host SJS and then finish the season on the road in NSH and then STL.

We could drop 6 points and a 6 point drop at the moment would give us a bottom 3 lotto pick. :P

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/standings/2018/league

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not i think the experience the team is getting playing down the stretch with something on the ine is going to come in valuable when we become a team that can challenge for a spot every season. making the playoffs is a goal but winning the cup is the ultimate goal.There are steps along the way. This is one of them. Its a far cry from being the worst team in the league as was expected

Over the last 4 years they are.:sadno:

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

By the end of tomorrow will see a team pass the Canucks, maybe more than one. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

By the end of tomorrow will see a team pass the Canucks, maybe more than one. 

Okay last night two teams caught the Nucks and are ahead by the NHL. Went from 20th to 22nd.

Tonight 3 could.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Okay last night two teams caught the Nucks and are ahead by the NHL. Went from 20th to 22nd.

Tonight 3 could.

All you're proving is how tight the race is.. meaning anything could still happen 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't want playoffs with our current D. Tanev and Edler can only do so much.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:01 AM, Alflives said:

Yeah because the NEED for a player like a Tavares is going to make a big difference right? Those poor NYI's what are they going to do with out that top five(or higher) pick?:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah because the NEED for a player like a Tavares is going to make a big difference right? Those poor NYI's what are they going to do with out that top five(or higher) pick?:lol:

Great point EdgarM.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great point EdgarM.  

I am with you Alf I think we would all love that "one more good player" mentality but I have seen great players get nullified in the playoffs or get injured. So, the TEAM "character" is far more integral to post season success. We have all heard that defense wins championships and defense comes from the entire team in IMO. You can have a great player such as a Tavares, McDavid, Crosby etc. but if your goalie is not up to snuff or you have key injuries to a player such as an Edler, then 1 or 2 great players are going to do you no good.

I like the Vegas model where you have a good system and everybody buys into it. No great players just a lot of good "character" players.

• Like 1