The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs, could it happen?

VanGnome

regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not i think the experience the team is getting playing down the stretch with something on the ine is going to come in valuable when we become a team that can challenge for a spot every season. making the playoffs is a goal but winning the cup is the ultimate goal.There are steps along the way. This is one of them. Its a far cry from being the worst team in the league as was expected

We don't play again for 4 days, When we play ARZ Thursday night, none of the other teams in the wild card race will have games in hand on us and we will actually have games in hand on CHI, MIN, and ANA.

We have 22 games remaining of which 14 are at home

We will see where we are after Thursday night.

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

We don't play again for 4 days, When we play ARZ Thursday night, none of the other teams in the wild card race will have games in hand on us and we will actually have games in hand on CHI, MIN, and ANA.

I get all excited during games, and cheer madly for us to win so we have a shot at the playoffs.  Then, after the game, I come to my senses and realize we need another top five (or higher) pick. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I get all excited during games, and cheer madly for us to win so we have a shot at the playoffs.  Then, after the game, I come to my senses and realize we need another top five (or higher) pick. 

Well Alf, If you look at our last 3 games in April we host SJS and then finish the season on the road in NSH and then STL.

We could drop 6 points and a 6 point drop at the moment would give us a bottom 3 lotto pick. :P

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/standings/2018/league

21 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not i think the experience the team is getting playing down the stretch with something on the ine is going to come in valuable when we become a team that can challenge for a spot every season. making the playoffs is a goal but winning the cup is the ultimate goal.There are steps along the way. This is one of them. Its a far cry from being the worst team in the league as was expected

Over the last 4 years they are.:sadno:

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

By the end of tomorrow will see a team pass the Canucks, maybe more than one. 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:01 AM, Alflives said:

Yeah because the NEED for a player like a Tavares is going to make a big difference right? Those poor NYI's what are they going to do with out that top five(or higher) pick?:lol:

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great point EdgarM.  

I am with you Alf I think we would all love that "one more good player" mentality but I have seen great players get nullified in the playoffs or get injured. So, the TEAM "character" is far more integral to post season success. We have all heard that defense wins championships and defense comes from the entire team in IMO. You can have a great player such as a Tavares, McDavid, Crosby etc. but if your goalie is not up to snuff or you have key injuries to a player such as an Edler, then 1 or 2 great players are going to do you no good.

I like the Vegas model where you have a good system and everybody buys into it. No great players just a lot of good "character" players.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I am with you Alf I think we would all love that "one more good player" mentality but I have seen great players get nullified in the playoffs or get injured. So, the TEAM "character" is far more integral to post season success. We have all heard that defense wins championships and defense comes from the entire team in IMO. You can have a great player such as a Tavares, McDavid, Crosby etc. but if your goalie is not up to snuff or you have key injuries to a player such as an Edler, then 1 or 2 great players are going to do you no good.

I like the Vegas model where you have a good system and everybody buys into it. No great players just a lot of good "character" players.

And in the Cap era those great players eat up a ton of salary.  Do the Oilers even have a chance of building a team full of those "character" guys that you mention, when McDavid and Draisatl eat up over 20 million?  I look at the Leafs now too.  They have this season to win, and then what are they going to do as their other young guys start eating up huge cap dollars?  I team does need a couple top notch players to win a Cup it seems, but their salaries can't eat up too much of the cap.  

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And in the Cap era those great players eat up a ton of salary.  Do the Oilers even have a chance of building a team full of those "character" guys that you mention, when McDavid and Draisatl eat up over 20 million?  I look at the Leafs now too.  They have this season to win, and then what are they going to do as their other young guys start eating up huge cap dollars?  I team does need a couple top notch players to win a Cup it seems, but their salaries can't eat up too much of the cap.  

I am seeing that trend too. Chicago has that problem too and ended up losing Panarin was it?

Goal scoring in the playoffs usually comes from those "character" players and they can come from anywhere in the lineup. Remember Burrows? Greg Adams?

I think guys put too much emphasis on having this many draft picks or they have to be a top 5 pick etc. etc.

It is a TEAM game afterall.

11 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I am seeing that trend too. Chicago has that problem too and ended up losing Panarin was it?

Goal scoring in the playoffs usually comes from those "character" players and they can come from anywhere in the lineup. Remember Burrows? Greg Adams?

I think guys put too much emphasis on having this many draft picks or they have to be a top 5 pick etc. etc.

Benn quite awhile since a "cult" won, the NJD, since then most teams have more than one elite forward and a stud dman.

Pitt - cup winner - Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Kessel

Chicago - cup winner - Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrooke

LA - cup winner - Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter,

That pretty much makes up for the last decade, most of those teams had well over half their cap wrapped up in star players salaries.

Chicago also lost Byfuglin, Campbell, Saad and others.

PO performers - Claude Lemeiux, Torres, Wilson, Reeves, there ARE lots of guys that come up big in the playoffs, the team needs the stars to get the team to the playoffs and character to win the playoffs, but they don't get there without the stars.

Playoff could still happen, just not real probable. 25th

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Benn quite awhile since a "cult" won, the NJD, since then most teams have more than one elite forward and a stud dman.

Pitt - cup winner - Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Kessel

Chicago - cup winner - Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrooke

LA - cup winner - Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter,

That pretty much makes up for the last decade, most of those teams had well over half their cap wrapped up in star players salaries.

Chicago also lost Byfuglin, Campbell, Saad and others.

PO performers - Claude Lemeiux, Torres, Wilson, Reeves, there ARE lots of guys that come up big in the playoffs, the team needs the stars to get the team to the playoffs and character to win the playoffs, but they don't get there without the stars.

Playoff could still happen, just not real probable. 25th

"most teams have more than one elite forward and a stud dman." - Most teams have a goalie and a coach too what's your point?

"the team needs the stars to get the team to the playoffs and character to win the playoffs" - So with your 2 statements here what were Vegas's  players that follow your criteria? Tatar was a late addition and I would argue that Fleury had a more influence on their success then any of the players you suggest above.

I would argue that a teams ability to adapt to their opponents strategies is who will be successful. Do they have to play against a fast , transitional team? Do they have to contend with a heavy hitting, aggressive team? Do we have to contend with a hard working team who are relentless on the puck? 

If we cannot adapt to these styles, we will not be successful no matter what players we have on the team.

Peteys success comes from the ability to overcome what ever strategy a team throws at him, he does not shy away from aggressive play. The Sedins? Get rough with them or tighten your check on them and they become less effective(i.e. 2011 Boston). 

All superstars are not built the same! Those who can adapt are the most successful and this will carry them into the playoffs.

With the players not so gifted offensively they can help with those hard working , relentless teams and help with the defensive side of the game(i.e. PK duties). This is where Vegas excelled at. 

So just needing these top tiered elite players is a farce. They only add an additional piece to the puzzle which is an eventual championship TEAM, not just  a "more than one elite forward and a stud dman" composition that you are alluding to.

20 hours ago, EdgarM said:

To be fair with more picks you might improve your chances at getting NHLers on cheaper contracts (at least while the are more cost controlled before they are UFA eligible).  Cheaper than bidding in the overpriced free agency market.  Frankly I still don’t fully trust this team’s pro scouting yet.

Archived