The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Mike McKenna (Flyers claim McKenna)

33 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Except that for 41 games we are travelling. When we are out east, it is easy for Utica guys to come into the lineup during a call up. It will take a lot longer than 30 minutes to call them up when we are out east.

Only 15 of those road games are vs eastern conference teams.

41 games at home plus 14 road games vs Pacific division.

55 on the west coast vs 15 on the east

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 8:36 AM, Quinn12 said:

Madness to move our farm team to Abbotsford! 

God forbid we have calls up who can drive up in 30 mins and not fly for a day.

Utica is better in every way than Abbotsford in having our prospects develop.  The pros vastly outweigh the cons.  This topic has been brought up and discussed multiple times over the past few years and anyone thinking that having our farm in Abbotsford is for the best needs to do some research on the topic. 

On 1/6/2019 at 9:36 AM, Quinn12 said:

Madness to move our farm team to Abbotsford! 

God forbid we have calls up who can drive up in 30 mins and not fly for a day.

For how often we call guys up, I'm sure they can handle flying to the team.

Most of the AHL is out east, less travel time between games means more practice time for the guys, players have been quoted saying how much they enjoy that. 

The fan support in Utica is terrific, and it keeps them away from the negative fishbowl of Vancouver fans.  (I love you all but its true)

6 minutes ago, mll said:

The Flyers have just sent McKenna on a conditioning stint to the AHL.  He can stay there up to 2 weeks before he has to either rejoin the Flyers or be placed on waivers.

They're being real pricks about stealing our AHL goalie aren't they. 

Benning piss them off at some point?

Elliott and Neuwirth are still injured.  Stolarz is now healthy but needs waivers.  Looks like they want to keep Carter Hart up in the NHL.

Alex Lyon their other AHL goalie is injured so they need someone down in the AHL.  They can't send McKenna through waivers because they know the Canucks will pick him up.

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Of all the things that make me mad in the world, this just isn't one of them.

They did not "steal" our goalie, they picked him up on waivers, good GMs do that sort of thing.

They also gave him an NHL start, which we didn't and paid him NHL money for a month, I think he is still on NHL payroll for a conditioning stint, not sure about that though

They still have 3 injured goalies, they are probably hedging their bets on another injury in the next 2 weeks

When MM writes his memoirs, he will probably be hard pressed to even remember he was ever a Canuck.

'Stole our goalie' , that's rich

edit maybe my saracasm detector is faulty today

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

Of all the things that make me mad in the world, this just isn't one of them.

They did not "steal" our goalie, they picked him up on waivers, good GMs do that sort of thing.

They also gave him an NHL start, which we didn't and paid him NHL money for a month, I think he is still on NHL payroll for a conditioning stint, not sure about that though

They still have 3 injured goalies, they are probably hedging their bets on another injury in the next 2 weeks

When MM writes his memoirs, he will probably be hard pressed to even remember he was ever a Canuck.

'Stole our goalie' , that's rich

edit maybe my saracasm detector is faulty today

It does suck that they're holding on to the guy we traded for to play in Utica but yes, it was largely tongue in cheek.

It'll be interesting to see if the Flyers ever do put McKenna on waivers (presumably so since they'll have to figure out what to do with Elliot, Neuvirth and Stolarz at some point).  It'll be more interesting to see if the Canucks claim him at that time.  I would think so.  Kulbakov has played admirably for the Comets but they could really use a veteran with Bachman out.

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

If any team should bend the rules to have 3 NHL caliber goalie options in their system, it's Philadelphia.

Give it 2 weeks, hopefully McKenna will be ours.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Does he have to be on the roster or put on waivers tomorrow, or is tomorrow the last day he's allowed to be in the AHL?

Take this with a grain of salt.......I believe that if no-one else put in a claim on him  when the Phillie claim happened, that he can be ours at the AHL level. We need an NHL stop gap and I think he could be on the Canuck roster for 10 games/ 30 days without having to go through waivers again. If, however, a 2nd team did put in a waiver claim when we lost him, everything changes. ( that team might have a say ? )

If we don't get McKenna back, I think Leighton will be here by Wednesday ! ( with a nice NHL contract in his pocket ! )

Edit: As far as the Flyers go, he has to be on the NHL roster or be waived again. ( either today or tomorrow ! ) His conditioning stint is/ was a sham. He had recently played and was not injured. Don't know how they got that one through !

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Take this with a grain of salt.......I believe that if no-one else put in a claim on him  when the Phillie claim happened, that he can be ours at the AHL level. We need an NHL stop gap and I think he could be on the Canuck roster for 10 games/ 30 days without having to go through waivers again. If, however, a 2nd team did put in a waiver claim when we lost him, everything changes. ( that team might have a say ? )

If we don't get McKenna back, I think Leighton will be here by Wednesday ! ( with a nice NHL contract in his pocket ! )

Edit: As far as the Flyers go, he has to be on the NHL roster or be waived again. ( either today or tomorrow ! ) His conditioning stint is/ was a sham. He had recently played and was not injured. Don't know how they got that one through !

Yeah I don't understand how they were able to send him down in a conditioning stint either. How was he eligible for that??

Archived