The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*UPDATE* Elias Pettersson Has Slight MCL Sprain

Zigmund.Palffy

Here's the thing...I like Don in a "hate giving up everything I've ever known about this game in its previous form" way.   But he's a stubborn old bat and would NEVER back pedal or admit he's wrong.  He's wrong on this one. 

Petey's never looked for trouble....it's why he stays so cool and doesn't celebrate hard after a goal.  He's just all business out there.  You'd be hard pressed to find a player more locked in on just playing the game than him...it's what gives him so much success (along with his amazing talent).  He doesn't have time to look for trouble...he's too busy looking to set up plays, etc.

This is Cherry's gig...HE'S the one who loves to stir the pot.  It's obvious...his stupid "Bieska" and mispronunciations that are so overdone now.  Anyone not looking for attention would have corrected themselves by now but it's his schtick.  Sadly for listeners.

He knows the game.  He knows the history.  What he doesn't know is...everything.  Even though he presents like he does. 

He has no idea what Petey's about...other than being forced to see a highlight here and there in between fawning over his teams.  He just lost the last sliver of credibility he had with me. 

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Petey's never looked for trouble....it's why he stays so cool and doesn't celebrate hard after a goal.  He's just all business out there.  You'd be hard pressed to find a player more locked in on just playing the game than him...it's what gives him so much success (along with his amazing talent).  He doesn't have time to look for trouble...he's too busy looking to set up plays, etc.

Yup, that "looking for trouble" is absolute pure garbage.  Just watch where Petey was looking the entire time -- he never once looked at CockyNinny.  He skated out and looked up-ice, then over to the boards where the puck was, then got grabbed, spin-tackled, and figure-foured.

2-for-2 on Cherry, as he tried to blame Pettersson for the Matheson choke-slam as well.  No idea why he'd intentionally want to look this bad, unless it's his eyesight going and/or just wanting attention and a reaction... oh wait.

13 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

So much whining on this thread, who cares what he says. I like Don and if he says something I don't like it doesn't really matter and my life isn't over. The over the top reactions here are so frustrating.

So we all need to be you?  And I think you're more over the top than anyone with "life isn't over" stuff.  No one said it is?  We're merely discussing something that's been blasted over the TV and radio at us.  

I don't ask for DC to be with me on my drive to work...but he was.  That's his fault, for looking for trouble. 

7 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

So much whining on this thread, who cares what he says. I like Don and if he says something I don't like it doesn't really matter and my life isn't over. The over the top reactions here are so frustrating.

That's kinda what is being discussed whined about here. Apparently quite a few people have been tired of what he says and his shtick for some time.

Why does that frustrate you so much? I like CDC and if I read something I don't like it doesn't really matter and my life isn't over. 

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Deb you think he messes up names on purpose? :picard:

Call me when you're 80 so I can see how your pronunciation is doing

Of course he does it on purpose...he's been corrected enough times to know by now.  Remember, you just have to look at his wardrobe to see he's a guy who screams "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME".  

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Cherry's the one looking for trouble.  It's the only way he and Ron stay relevant.

a lot of things Cherry says these days should be followed by "there, there, grandpa, I know."

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

HAhaha and clearly it's working.  I feel bad for you guys that hate him but still tune in :lol:  

Just remember, without Don all we have is robots who just say what they are told to say. 

So Don Cherry is the only personality on television that speaks his mind regarding hockey?

Every other commentator is a soulless automaton? Burke? Kypreos? Friedman? Hrudey? They don't provide their own opinions?

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Cherry's the one looking for trouble.  It's the only way he and Ron stay relevant.

37 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing...I like Don in a "hate giving up everything I've ever known about this game in its previous form" way.   But he's a stubborn old bat and would NEVER back pedal or admit he's wrong.  He's wrong on this one. 

This is Cherry's gig...HE'S the one who loves to stir the pot.  It's obvious...his stupid "Bieska" and mispronunciations that are so overdone now.  Anyone not looking for attention would have corrected themselves by now but it's his schtick.  Sadly for listeners.

He knows the game.  He knows the history.  What he doesn't know is...everything.  Even though he presents like he does. 

He has no idea what Petey's about...other than being forced to see a highlight here and there in between fawning over his teams.  He just lost the last sliver of credibility he had with me. 

Deb, I have news for you. Grapes was also extremely complimentary of Petey and was critical about his lack of protection. 

He's entitled to his viewpoints like everybody else - agree with him or not.

We, as a society, need to stop being P.C. crybabies. 

20190107_090428.jpg

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

HAhaha and clearly it's working.  I feel bad for you guys that hate him but still tune in :lol:  

Just remember, without Don all we have is robots who just say what they are told to say. 

I don't hate him.  I've stated that...I like him.

But his schtick is old:  flamboyant suits, bellows and interupts, messes names up, etc.

5 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Deb, I have news for you. Grapes was also extremely complimentary of Petey and was critical about his lack of protection. 

He's entitled to his viewpoints like everybody else - agree with him or not.

We, as a society, need to stop being P.C. crybabies. 

20190107_090428.jpg

So wait...he's entitled to his opinion but when we/I voice ours, we're crybabies?

Not biased at all.

I said I liked Don....but his schtick is old and overused.  

He didn't word it "the team's not..."

He said "HE SHOULDN'T HAVE (been looking for trouble)".  So he put it on Petey, not the team.

I don't agree with him.  Doesn't make me a crybaby.

Pretty much yeah, not the way Don does.

Burke's pretty close.

Don's been around since the 30's, imagine all of the things he has done and seen.  Who cares if he messes things up and has outrageous takes once in awhile, he's actually right a lot of the time to.  The guy get's like 4 minutes of air time a week and people are still disrespecting him.

Don's insight due to his age is invaluable. For me, it's his delivery that's grating and obnoxious. If Don was just some guy at a bar spouting off at 110 decibels about hockey without the history he's had in the league, would you find his approach as endearing? 

I love hard, tough physical hockey, much like Don does. Why instead, if Don thought Elias was looking for trouble, didn't he give Petterson some credit for doing so?

I don't believe I made any disparaging comments about his age. I'll have to go back through my posts to see though.

The man should be respected because of his age not ridiculed for it.  It's just sad, I see it on the internet all the time.

I agree that his age shouldn't be a factor, but he puts himself in a vulnerable position when he provides some pretty archaic ideas. Ageism is wrong, I'll agree with you there.

Modern day society does tend to try to offload those in their golden years far too often. In doing so, we lose a whole lot of insight and wisdom, and in turn, many comment on how lost successive generations are. We can learn plenty from those who came before us.

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Pretty much yeah, not the way Don does.

Don's been around since the 30's, imagine all of the things he has done and seen.  Who cares if he messes things up and has outrageous takes once in awhile, he's actually right a lot of the time to.  The guy get's like 4 minutes of air time a week and people are still disrespecting him

The man should be respected because of his age not ridiculed for it.  It's just sad, I see it on the internet all the time.

Respect is earned with me, not granted due to age.

I have respect for him as an old guy.  I'd help him across the street and help him reach the top shelf at the store and read the contents of the cereal box for him.  I don't have respect for the statement he put out there when he insinuated EP did something "wrong".

By offering his two cents about a player on his Green's roster, he sort of disrespects him.  It undermines TG to go there.  I wonder if TG has maybe told Petey TO stand up for himself.  So Don sees it as "looking for trouble".   What if he's been coached by "his real coach" to 

Being right "a lot of the time" doesn't give a free pass when wrong.   You don't get to be right by default.

Some of us feel he's wrong here.  Petey needs to be tough out there...not just rely on others to come to his defense.  I'm happy, as a fan of his, that he is.  And I'm sure his coach...not one in a corner 4 minutes a week, is likely glad he's showing a bit of an edge too.

This is a discussion board so we're discussing it.  Far too much at this point for my liking.

Over and out on Done Don.

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Green literally said Pettersson hit him back and then got tangled all up with him... What Don Cherry said is not wrong if he hadn't of pushed back he wouldn't have gotten tangled up and injured. He said the exact same thing about Crosby when he came into the league.

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't hate him.  I've stated that...I like him.

But his schtick is old:  flamboyant suits, bellows and interupts, messes names up, etc.

So wait...he's entitled to his opinion but when we/I voice ours, we're crybabies?

Not biased at all.

I said I liked Don....but his schtick is old and overused.  

He didn't word it "the team's not..."

He said "HE SHOULDN'T HAVE (been looking for trouble)".  So he put it on Petey, not the team.

I don't agree with him.  Doesn't make me a crybaby.

Let's try this again. Don was also extremely complementary of Pettersson and he expressed his dislike of Petey not getting protection. 

20190107_090428.jpg

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Green literally said Pettersson hit him back and then got tangled all up with him... What Don Cherry said is not wrong if he hadn't of pushed back he wouldn't have gotten tangled up and injured. He said the exact same thing about Crosby when he came into the league.

Green didn't say he was wrong to do so.  And how the heck do you know what "would have" happened??  It could have been worse if Petey hadn't braced for it!  

Done on the Don thing.  But don't tie what Green said to Don's words...one stated what he saw, the other said it was wrong to do it.

3 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Let's try this again. Don was also extremely complementary of Pettersson and he expressed his dislike of Petey not getting protection. 

20190107_090428.jpg

So??

I've, also been complimentary of Don.   So let's move on...I'll go first.

Hockey had changed. Super stars are being physically abused more because there are no more enforcers. 

McDavid also gets a lot of abuse. Much more than EP. 

Yesterday vs Ducks he was cross checked from behind into boards.  He's much stronger than EP tho and saved him self. 

EP will also get stronger and put on a few pounds of weight for next season. 

Something needs to change or stars will continue to be abused. 

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Green didn't say he was wrong to do so.  And how the heck do you know what "would have" happened??  It could have been worse if Petey hadn't braced for it!  

Done on the Don thing.  But don't tie what Green said to Don's words...one stated what he saw, the other said it was wrong to do it.

I know that you're biased and were screaming for a suspension after the entanglement which there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. You just look for reasons to go off on a rant. If Petterson ignores the hook/hold and just keeps skating there is no injury. He pushes back and then gets injured that is what Don is saying. His game isn't to push back and hit. If he starts playing like that on his frame he will get injured which he did. 

Not only that but you're telling me how the heck do you know what would have happened when you yourself are saying oh if Petey doesn't push back then Don would have called him a soft European. Hypocritical and biased.

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hockey had changed. Super stars are being physically abused more because there are no more enforcers. 

McDavid also gets a lot of abuse. Much more than EP. 

Yesterday vs Ducks he was cross checked from behind into boards.  He's much stronger than EP tho and saved him self. 

EP will also get stronger and put on a few pounds of weight for next season. 

Something needs to change or stars will continue to be abused. 

Every time I see McDavid I am surprised at how slight he is. He could easily put on 10lbs.

Archived