The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

1 hour ago, butters said:

nope, but that insinuation is weak considering that you have missed the point on what I was saying. Which is that the 'C' is pretty much symbolic. And putting it on a player doesn't really change their role in the room all that much. Leaders are leaders. No matter what is on that chest. I'm not disputing that Linden was a leader of that team. I am saying he still would have been a leader if someone else was captain.

I guess that's where our points differ in that I see it more then just being "symbolic". It seems the Captain dictates how the team plays as some of the greats have had great teams follow them. Think of Gretzky's teams in Edmonton, Lemieux's teams in Pittsburgh, Yzerman's teams in Detroit, Sakic's teams in Colorado and Crosby's teams seem to do well all the time. I see a pattern here and again I see this person more then just "symbolic".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I guess that's where our points differ in that I see it more then just being "symbolic". It seems the Captain dictates how the team plays as some of the greats have had great teams follow them. Think of Gretzky's teams in Edmonton, Lemieux's teams in Pittsburgh, Yzerman's teams in Detroit, Sakic's teams in Colorado and Crosby's teams seem to do well all the time. I see a pattern here and again I see this person more then just "symbolic".

but are you saying that if they didn't have the captaincy that no one would have followed them? O they would have been less of a leader?

Edited by butters
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, butters said:

but are you saying that if they didn't have the captaincy that no one would have followed them? O they would have been less of a leader?

No obviously I think you need more then one guy to provide leadership but I really think that the Captain sets the tone for what the team does behind him. Not one Captain with a Cup in the last 30-40 years does not display those attributes I described to you earlier. I don't think this is coincidence.

Maybe we can go with another Nazzy or a Hank and see how the team plays behind him and see what happens.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

No obviously I think you need more then one guy to provide leadership but I really think that the Captain sets the tone for what the team does behind him. Not one Captain with a Cup in the last 30-40 years does not display those attributes I described to you earlier. I don't think this is coincidence.

Maybe we can go with another Nazzy or a Hank and see how the team plays behind him and see what happens.

That wasn't what I asked. I asked that if one of the people you named was not captain, and someone else on the same team was, what difference would it make?

Edited by butters
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, butters said:

That wasn't what I asked. I asked that if one of the people you named was not captain, and someone else on the same team was, what difference would it make?

We have had great players with great character, Kessler going "Beast Mode", Burrows "slaying the dragon" but why do we not have anything to say like that for our last 2-3 Captains? Have we ever seen Hank get on a breakaway and score a winning goal? I don't remember anything like that. 

I sure do remember Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic etc. in the playoffs, thats when they excelled. 

I think we are done with this discussion as it just keeps going in circles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We have had great players with great character, Kessler going "Beast Mode", Burrows "slaying the dragon" but why do we not have anything to say like that for our last 2-3 Captains? Have we ever seen Hank get on a breakaway and score a winning goal? I don't remember anything like that. 

I sure do remember Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic etc. in the playoffs, thats when they excelled. 

I think we are done with this discussion as it just keeps going in circles.

Nice post! 

Has to be Bo. This guy has put in the work every year since coming into the league. He knew his skating was not good enough early on and worked on it during the off season without needing the team to tell him to do it. With Sutter and Petey out earlier in the year, he logged some hard minutes. This guy is a workhorse and is an example of what all young guys should replicate.

• 2 weeks later...

This remains a real question with multiple threads emerging.

Question: for people saying they’d prefer Horvat because he hits and fights, does he actually do that? Honestly, I think I’ve seen EP throw more hits than him of late.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Since Elder, Sutter and Tanev have gone down, noticed that Beagle and Roussel have the "A".  High praise for 2 players that only came aboard this year.

I think the C will be Bo Horvat next year.  They could do a special ceremony for the 50th season opener, like they did for Henrik during the 2011 season which was the 40th year. 

Then I would make a forward and defense man "A" for both home and away. 

So Horvat "C"

Forward "A" Beagle, Roussel or Sutter (probably traded)

Defense "A" Elder, Tanev (if they are both here) or Gudbranson (probably will still be here)

Did anyone else notice that the 2011 season was the 40th season recognition season instead of 2010 because of the 2005 lockout?  So if they followed the same path the 50th season should be the 2020 - 2021 season lol.

Edited by gong_8
more content
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gong_8 said:

Did anyone else notice that the 2011 season was the 40th season recognition season instead of 2010 because of the 2005 lockout?  So if they followed the same path the 50th season should be the 2020 - 2021 season lol.

Interesting.. I don't think the lock-out factored in, but you're right, I think they celebrated the 40th in 2010/11 season, which would be right, since they were brought into the league in 1970/71. I have a "Canucks at Forty' book published in 2010. So yeah, that's puzzling, because shouldn't the 50th be in 2020/21, like you say?

• Cheers 1

On 2/14/2019 at 9:57 AM, EdgarM said:

Would a Captain lead us to more inspired play then what we have been seeing lately? Petey and Marky have been CONSISTENTLY leading this team lately but the rest leave something to be desired.

When you look at it that way, Pete is the only one who has been consistent and lead the team since the first game of the season.

Edited by Westcoasting
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

When you look at it that way, Pete is the only one who has been consistent and lead the team since the first game of the season.

I would agree with this. He hasn't taken a game off in terms of effort. 

On 2/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, EdgarM said:

I don't think he has taken a "shift" off never mind a game.

Right before / after the all star break he seemed to be slowing down a bit. But he seems to have turned it up a notch in recent games.

Horvat looks like he's giving a good effort in recent games too, just having terrible pick luck.