The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure why people would think that Elias would become captain in his 2nd year in the NHL.  Gretzky didn't become captain of the Oilers until 1983, or after he had been playing for 4 years and had already gotten over 700 points.

BO is already the unofficial captain, the only thing missing is the C on his jersey...

Linden became the Captain at the age of 21. 

Boeser is also a darkhorse candidate too.  Fantastic guy off the ice and showed last year he's willing to block shots and risk injury even when it's something he isn't good at.  These three young men would all be outstanding choices; it's a good problem to have.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Wow, I can't believe how f***ing pathetic some of you are for questioning Bo. This thread is filled with a bunch of dumbass posts. Based on the stupid logic some of you have, NO ONE should be captain of this team.

Bo is the next captain, and he will be a great one. Deal with it.

Edited by The Great Canucks

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

And why was Linden the best Canuck LEADER of all time? Because he gave his ALL and rose above and beyond his expectations. Look at his regular season stats and then look at his playoff stats. He brought it when it meant the most and the picture of him and McLean after game #7 shows how much he gave in 94'. 

Those are the attributes I see in Petey and when he gets BETTER then he is right now, watch out. He will hit other players, he will block shots, he will dive to get the puck out of the zone and he will score when the team needs a goal. That kind of leadership is what I want especially during the playoffs when the time comes.

absolutely so lets see what happens when we make the playoffs. I totally agree with your above statement. except i do not have enough of an example to see it in Petey and I see that in BO .

When the playoffs come and the game tightens up who will be the better player?  what do you value more. The guy that scores the goal or the guy that prevents it? Both are just as important. Petterson plays hard, conceded, Does he play harder than BO , i dont see that.

Petterson isnt out against the tougher match ups. In fact if anything they prefer to get him out against the weaker match ups.

again i respectfully see your points about how Petterson will grow and mature. I still dont see that as Captaincy Material despite him looking like he will become the teams leading scorer. He is only 6 points ahead of Bo and plays with Boeser. Horvat plays with Baertschi and Eriksson.

Its great that we can have this debate having great players now. its going to get even better when Hughes joins the team. Maybe Quinn is the next Captain after Bo.

Like i said earlier I would make Bo the captain and see where things are after 4 or 5 years. if the team is following Hughes then make him the Captain.

But Petterson is a rookie. He hasnt accomplished anything long term yet. He is scoring but not like McDavid. I like where he is headed but as far as leadership goes it remains to be seen.

9 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Wow, I can't believe how f***ing pathetic some of you are for questioning Bo. This thread is filled with a bunch of dumbass posts. Based on the stupid logic some of you have, NO ONE should be captain of this team.

Bo is the next captain, and he will be a great one. Deal with it.

Thanks for your input......Genius. :lol:

8 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

absolutely so lets see what happens when we make the playoffs. I totally agree with your above statement. except i do not have enough of an example to see it in Petey and I see that in BO .

When the playoffs come and the game tightens up who will be the better player?  what do you value more. The guy that scores the goal or the guy that prevents it? Both are just as important. Petterson plays hard, conceded, Does he play harder than BO , i dont see that.

Petterson isnt out against the tougher match ups. In fact if anything they prefer to get him out against the weaker match ups.

again i respectfully see your points about how Petterson will grow and mature. I still dont see that as Captaincy Material despite him looking like he will become the teams leading scorer. He is only 6 points ahead of Bo and plays with Boeser. Horvat plays with Baertschi and Eriksson.

Its great that we can have this debate having great players now. its going to get even better when Hughes joins the team. Maybe Quinn is the next Captain after Bo.

Like i said earlier I would make Bo the captain and see where things are after 4 or 5 years. if the team is following Hughes then make him the Captain.

But Petterson is a rookie. He hasnt accomplished anything long term yet. He is scoring but not like McDavid. I like where he is headed but as far as leadership goes it remains to be seen.

I am not totally against Bo being Captain as I said before I was his biggest supporter before EP came on the scene. You are right in that the playoffs is when we will see the true leaders shine and that's when we will get a better picture of who should be Captain. We are going to be good either way. 

I tend to watch the little things players do and Petey has done pretty much anything he can do to win the game. He has even tried to hit with his very small frame. I can only imagine what he can do in the future.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Linden became the Captain at the age of 21. 

Linden was a born leader and winner.  He won 2 Memorial Cups and a WJC gold medal before he was even drafted.  Finished second in the Calder trophy to hall of famer Brian Leetch.  Also, Linden was already rotating as captain the year prior before he became the defacto captain in his 3rd year.  Kinda like BO right now in terms of having 3 players with the A.  The natural progression is to give BO the C next year.  Giving Elias the C next year doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  He probably doesn't even want it.  

Petey is a generational talent.  He will become the greatest Vancouver Canucks player ever.  But he doesn't need to be captain in his second year to achieve that.  He doesn't need to be captain at all.  Right now the best Canucks player of all time is Pavel Bure.  He was never the captain.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I saw him take a shift off once. I thought it was completely unacceptable. He could have cost the team a game with that poor effort on that one shift.

yeah i remember that shift

i think he even short shifted himself

and headed back to the bench for a change 4 seconds early

they are really gonna use the video clip of that shift to grind his eventual 8 year contract

by millions of dollars

he is such a slug

:P

I mentioned this in last night's PGT, but I was disappointed in Horvat last tonight. The guy is basically anointed by fans/media to be the future captain, and I thought so too after watching that Calgary playoff series, but the guy is way too passive on the ice, barely hits, and doesn't seem to possess that Iginla/Foligno/Brindamour/Linden intensity we want in our captain.

If he in incorporated some edge/chippiness and stood up for his teammates every now and then, he would be a god in this city.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

I mentioned this in last night's PGT, but I was disappointed in Horvat last tonight. The guy is basically anointed by fans/media to be the future captain, and I thought so too after watching that Calgary playoff series, but the guy is way too passive on the ice, barely hits, and doesn't seem to possess that Iginla/Foligno/Brindamour/Linden intensity we want in our captain.

If he in incorporated some edge/chippiness and stood up for his teammates every now and then, he would be a god in this city.

If you think Bo lacks intensity, you probably having been watching the games.  Who carried the team on his back throughout all those injuries?  Yeah...Bo.  He's a clutch player that wears the team colours; always.

• Upvote 1

Bo, hands down. I would bet a full paycheck that he'll be the next captain.

Speaking of Bo, tho, he seems like he's playing hurt the last few games, no? I just don't see his usual speed lately. I can see that he wants to, but I feel like something is up with him. Anyone else notice this? 

• Upvote 1

Should and always be Bo Horvat. He works hard, he's always doing the big team things. Interacting with fans, making sure guys are involved, very vocal on the bench and in the locker room. He's always at the end of the high fives after wins and even losses when everyone skates off the ice to the locker room.

It's just been pretty damn clear that he is the leader.

If Pettersson does get it though, I wouldn't be mad. But it's probably inevitable anyways that he eventually gets an A.

That being said, you don't need a letter to lead. Even the guys on the team said it doesn't really matter who has the C on their jersey, as they all lead in the their own ways. The vocal guys will always be vocal.