The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman in vegetative state for 14 years gives birth

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

They got the guy through the DNA testing.  If he gets a lawyer worth his/her salt, this case will eventually make it's way to the federal appellate courts, up to and including the US Supreme Court.

In the meantime, he's likely screwed in the Arizona state courts and will be in prison during the years it takes for the case to make it's way through the courts.

What an idiot for sticking around. I would have pulled a scott petterson.

Just now, Violator said:

What an idiot for sticking around. I would have pulled a scott petterson.

No kidding.  You'd think he'd know that he was boned and disappeared the second that the judge approved the DNA warrants. 

Apparently the hiring standards at that place are even worse than anybody first thought.  The dummy must have been hoping or maybe even knew that he wasn't the only person there raping unconscious people and figured he'd take his chances that it wasn't him who got her pregnant.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

No kidding.  You'd think he'd know that he was boned and disappeared the second that the judge approved the DNA warrants. 

Apparently the hiring standards at that place are even worse than anybody first thought.  The dummy must have been hoping or maybe even knew that he wasn't the only person there raping unconscious people and figured he'd take his chances that it wasn't him who got her pregnant.

I know I shouldn't make light, but imagine the ratings if this was featured on an episode of Jerry Springer.....

5 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Don't you mean Maury?

I'm so embarrassed to know the difference :picard: 

Probably. I've never actually watched either, but I've seen video of the guys reacting like they've won the lottery when they hear "You are not the father". ^_^

This just sickens me.

My Mom was in a very compromised/vulnerable state and had a male nurse that made me feel uncomfortable in the hospice.  I had her moved due to it.

I haven't read the story (just heard this on the news) but my good God, who hires and supervises these people??

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I haven't read the story (just heard this on the news) but my good God, who hires and supervises these people??

Sad to say, this is how the elderly or those that can't fend for themselves in these types of care homes are often treated.  Even the 'good workers' are pretty much overworked & underpaid.  I can only hope it gets better when it comes to time *I* have to use this service (though I ain't holding my breathe).

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This just sickens me.

My Mom was in a very compromised/vulnerable state and had a male nurse that made me feel uncomfortable in the hospice.  I had her moved due to it.

Not them anymore.  The state appointed an outside person to run the place.  I'll bet this kind of thing happens more often than people think.  This never would have come to light had he not gotten her pregnant.  For 9 months nobody had a clue this was going on.

32 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"At an initial hearing, his attorney said there was "minimum" evidence his client committed the crime."

DNA evidence is minimal evidence?  Is his lawyer Rudy Giuliani?

:picard:  He got a public defender most likely.  He's boned.

22 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Budget cuts generally mean you cant hire the best people.

Family member worked for a company that lost a contract with the provincial government. Over what ended up being only a few dollars less per hour and less people on the ground.

2 minutes ago, Violator said:

Family member worked for a company that lost a contract with the provincial government. Over what ended up being only a few dollars less per hour and less people on the ground.

It's not even about "the best"....it's about not hiring "the worst". 

Even with less people on the ground...there has to be some form of accountability even with budget restraints.  I do get that they connect...but this is a bit more than someone isn't cleaning the bathroom up to par.

2 minutes ago, Violator said:

...and like I said, even when you are able to hire a good worker (and there many of them) you run into the problem of them being not just underpaid but overworked.  One person gets assigned to far too many patients.  They stuff all these people like they’re sardines in a sardine box (too many in one room) as it makes it more “efficient” to service them from managements point of view.

But guys...we're not talking about the poor overworked/underpaid worker here.  This is a criminal and these sound like excuses.

Accountability is big for me - you can't point to "problems" in a system without also pointing at the people running the place.  

Their website really paints a different picture and so false advertising to families of loved ones isn't really fair.

There are kids in this place...I'd say they'd better come up with some monitoring and security protocol.  Real quick.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

this is an alleged criminal and his trial has not started.

Well we have DNA identifying him so I'd say it's a done deal.  I mean, obviously someone impregnated her and she didn't give consent in the state she was in.    That's called rape and is a crime.

49 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But guys...we're not talking about the poor overworked/underpaid worker here.  This is a criminal and these sound like excuses.

Accountability is big for me - you can't point to "problems" in a system without also pointing at the people running the place.  

Their website really paints a different picture and so false advertising to families of loved ones isn't really fair.

There are kids in this place...I'd say they'd better come up with some monitoring and security protocol.  Real quick.

I'd tend to agree. There needs to be much better monitoring and it's certainly a fault of management that things were so lax. That being said, I wouldn't be too critical of his hiring in the first place. It's entirely possible that he came with excellent credentials.

Sometimes, criminal behavior doesn't manifest itself, until opportunity presents itself. I once ran a bar and for several years I was unaware that one of my best and longest serving waitresses was not above theft. The advent of Break Open tickets was too much temptation for her to overcome.

This guy is obviously morally bankrupt, but I wouldn't criticize his employer for not being aware, without further evidence.

Archived