The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Score article - Canuck draft pick Madden (top 5 WJHC player)

grandmaster

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1690658

I copied and pasted the article that mentions our guy below:

For many players, the World Junior Championship is the first time they’ll play in front of an international audience. The stakes are undeniably high. While one tournament shouldn’t be enough to completely tank or skyrocket a player’s stock, it is a great opportunity for them to showcase the work they’ve put in and the growth they’ve achieved.

Here are some players we feel really showed off their skill at this year’s WJHC.

Tyler Madden - USA (Vancouver Canucks)

Madden, a 2018 third-rounder (68th overall) of the Vancouver Canucks, has certainly made an impression during his first games in front of his potential future team's fans. He’s been one of the United States' most aggressive players offensively, driving the net and pushing play forward. Madden has great hockey sense, but he's a pretty small guy in his draft year - listed at 5-foot-11 and 152 pounds - so it makes sense that he was lower on some of the more traditional scouting lists. Still, this tournament has made it clear that, at least against his peers, Madden has what it takes.

In the quarterfinal, he had the most ice time among American forwards with 18:17. He was named player of the game in the USA’s round-robin win over Finland. It took time for his efforts to show up on the scoresheet, but anyone paying attention could see that Madden was continually making life difficult for opponents. He makes great plays and he’s starting to adjust his game to a faster pace. While he’s still got some work to do, signs point toward a future as a solid middle-six NHL forward.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1690658

I copied and pasted the article that mentions our guy below:

For many players, the World Junior Championship is the first time they’ll play in front of an international audience. The stakes are undeniably high. While one tournament shouldn’t be enough to completely tank or skyrocket a player’s stock, it is a great opportunity for them to showcase the work they’ve put in and the growth they’ve achieved.

Here are some players we feel really showed off their skill at this year’s WJHC.

Tyler Madden - USA (Vancouver Canucks)

Madden, a 2018 third-rounder (68th overall) of the Vancouver Canucks, has certainly made an impression during his first games in front of his potential future team's fans. He’s been one of the United States' most aggressive players offensively, driving the net and pushing play forward. Madden has great hockey sense, but he's a pretty small guy in his draft year - listed at 5-foot-11 and 152 pounds - so it makes sense that he was lower on some of the more traditional scouting lists. Still, this tournament has made it clear that, at least against his peers, Madden has what it takes.

In the quarterfinal, he had the most ice time among American forwards with 18:17. He was named player of the game in the USA’s round-robin win over Finland. It took time for his efforts to show up on the scoresheet, but anyone paying attention could see that Madden was continually making life difficult for opponents. He makes great plays and he’s starting to adjust his game to a faster pace. While he’s still got some work to do, signs point toward a future as a solid middle-six NHL forward.

He's got all the tools to be an effective player at every level. The last game for the US he had worked his way up to playing wing with Jack Hughes. I fully expect to see that again today. With the way the game is trending, he has the speed, puck skills and dog on a bone tenacity to make him an effective pro. Give him sandwiches and Russian "vitamins" and he'll be ready next year :P

From shift one of the tournament he has been, in my opinion, the American's MVP.  He has as good a 200 ft game as anyone in the tournament, and he made it seem like he was the first round pick and Wahlstrom the third rounder.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

From shift one of the tournament he has been, in my opinion, the American's MVP.  He has as good a 200 ft game as anyone in the tournament, and he made it seem like he was the first round pick and Wahlstrom the third rounder.

well we all kinda should know by now

that in the world of 3d chess drafting

all benning/brackett/et al picks are only high first rounders

does not matter how it appears to us low level thinkers :P

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

well we all kinda should know by now

that in the world of 3d chess drafting

all benning/brackett/et al picks are only high first rounders

does not matter how it appears to us low level thinkers :P

I wonder how long they'll be able to keep Brackett from moving to a GM position?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I wonder how long they'll be able to keep Brackett from moving to a GM position?

i know people on cdc really like brackett a lot (i think he gets too much credit from many,)

but he is still a product of the canucks scouting system and department
put in place and developed under jb leadership

he has no gm experience at all

jb was asst gm prior to his hire and many still think he is more of a top scout then gm

not sure how brackett can be gm material any time soon

I watched Madden play closely in Victoria. One of the qualities that I think sets him apart is he appears very mentally strong.

He has fast hands and a relentless work ethic. He makes smart plays and has good vision and finishing ability. High hockey IQ and a good skater. His body will fill out in time and get stronger. 

I think he has potential as a second or third line NHL centre. 

10 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I watched Madden play closely in Victoria. One of the qualities that I think sets him apart is he appears very mentally strong.

He has fast hands and a relentless work ethic. He makes smart plays and has good vision and finishing ability. High hockey IQ and a good skater. His body will fill out in time and get stronger. 

Agreed, a trend with most of Benning's draft picks...hard working, high hockey IQ, gamers (last guy in the gym types). Looked great when I saw him play earlier in the tournament.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i know people on cdc really like brackett a lot (i think he gets too much credit from many,)

but he is still a product of the canucks scouting system and department
put in place and developed under jb leadership

he has no gm experience at all

jb was asst gm prior to his hire and many still think he is more of a top scout then gm

not sure how brackett can be gm material any time soon

Plus the guidelines determined by Benning in terms of what the team is looking for in prospects (high IQ, last guy in the gym types, etc.) clearly plays a role in who they consider and who they eliminate as potential picks. 

15 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

nah

don't be so silly

we all know who that sounds too much like

and where did that profile even get ep40

he isn't even playing today

Archived