The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Jan. 05, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Get Eriksson as far away as possible from Bos wing....

Depressing to see the plays die on his stick. Other than that it was a loss... 1 loss only at the end of another 6 game road trip 3 games in 4 nights, and with our best player sidelined... perspective Gentlemen.

The hate for laughs is real, but we are still in rebuilding mode. This is another learning step for this group, just like the Canadians game was...

We still need the youngsters to mature so it'll be another couple of years + 1 or 2 FA and then we will be ready to compete long term for real.

Thought bar from a few major brain farts poor plays, we played a decent enough game, but couldn't get a goal to lift the team... it happens...

I thought the game would be determined in the neutral zone and IMO it was. The Laffers were coming up ice very quickly with little trouble. It got them into the Canuck d-zone and forced the d-men to turn. They were under pressure a lot. At the other end we had been told that the Laffer defense could be fore checked and yet the Canucks had less effectiveness doing that. They did have some opportunity but no success. 

They need a break. They will get some time off and some practice time.  

I thought we were all on board with a rebuild

This is what a rebuild looks like - a roller coaster - highs and then the bottom drops

For those who watched the World Juniors - those Canuck picks  Hughes, Madden, Utenen - those kids are all part of this re build

The kids in Utica - Gaudette, Lind, Dalen, Ollie McEwen - those kids too are part of the rebuild

We are just starting to set this puzzle - it will take time

Petey, Brock, Bo maybe Jake - maybe Hutton  those kids are the beginnings

Patient - enjoy the ride

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Give the guy a chance, he's only just back after months of injury rehab. You do realise it usually takes about 6 games to get back to where you were?

Fair enough but history shows he doesn’t do a whole lot before his next injury aside from winning some draws.

better packaged in a smoke and mirrors trade at the deadline and gaudette draws back in.

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

The Canucks have earned their 5 day break.

They've looked pretty gassed this week, then fell completely flat after Petey went down.

Also, changing the team dynamic / chemistry by having Sutter and Baer return hasn't had a positive effect. Hopefully with some rest and practice time they'll get back to looking like a competitive team.

All things considered, now would be a great time to package up Sutter and a Dman for an upgrade on D or maybe Sutter and Goldy for a LW.

Too much complacency from Sutter, Schaller, Goldy and Eriksson. One or two should be moved ASAP. 

I'd like to cut Sutter some slack, but I feel like in the short time he's been back he's made the team a lot worse. He might be out of shape, sure, but he's not ever going to pile up the points. Couple that with Green's unwillingness to give Bo any linemates that might help create some offense..... what's the &^@#ing point in keeping Sutter when you've got Bo and Beagle in checking roles? 

I'd like to think the boys might renew some chemistry in the next 5 days, but with Green's line blender humming on puree, I've got zero hope for the lines to gel any time soon.

There won't be a magical line combo with this club as it stands, so I don't agree with shaking them up twice a game. I'd like to see an effort to put two scoring lines together when Petey gets back. 

Agree.

Horvat>>>sutter.

Beagle is good on the dot, far more determined on the forecheck, has character and cup experience.

imo,  sutter is redundant and in the way of gaudette who we were winning with.  Gaudette creates more in the ozone which isn’t saying too much I suppose considering sutter creates absolutely nothing.

sutter/one of Tanev or edler/ for an upgrade on D.  Needs to be done at the deadline.  If the Canucks are still a bubble team by then I actually see this trade helping us now and later meanwhile allowing gaudette some nhl development and playoff experience.

4 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Funny how you only come out when we lose...

Funny how you attack me instead of addressing my points. Seems to be a common theme on this board.

Who's 'we'? You don't play for the Canucks...

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Me too.

It’s not booo sutter.  I just feel it’s the right move for right now as it addresses multiple points.  This seasons signings and the emerging of gaudette have created this scenario as a possibility and the key, if possible, could be the upgrade on the back end.

13 hours ago, JamesB said:

After his ridiculous interview after the last game in which Sutter talked about the EP's injury was an opportunity for other guys and that other games would "step up" and acting like he is some sort of leader on the team Sutter goes -3 with 0 shots and 0 hits. And how does having Sutter on the PP instead of the EP look?

I don't know why Green puts him on the PP. And I have always though Sutter was over-rated.

Yes, Guddy is the worst passer on the D. He just does not handle the puck well.  I still think he is useful as a 3rd pairing guy who provides toughness. And he is good on the PK (where icing the puck is not a problem).

The strategy of playing Bo in a shutdown role is actually not bad, and he was not bad tonight. But with EP out of the line-up I would rather slot Horvat as the 1C on a scoring line with Boeser and Baertschi.

I still don't understand why Jake isn't on the pp (except today obviously), it's so frustrating

17 minutes ago, riffraff said:

It’s not booo sutter.  I just feel it’s the right move for right now as it addresses multiple points.  This seasons signings and the emerging of gaudette have created this scenario as a possibility and the key, if possible, could be the upgrade on the back end.

Exactly, me too.  Wish him well...just don't know that there's a fit for him as we shift toward others.  He's served us well and I thank him for that, but when he was injured it gave us a chance to start moving in other directions.  I'm a big Gaudette supporter and like his hustle.

2 hours ago, Bo fan said:

I thought we were all on board with a rebuild

This is what a rebuild looks like - a roller coaster - highs and then the bottom drops

For those who watched the World Juniors - those Canuck picks  Hughes, Madden, Utenen - those kids are all part of this re build

The kids in Utica - Gaudette, Lind, Dalen, Ollie McEwen - those kids too are part of the rebuild

We are just starting to set this puzzle - it will take time

Petey, Brock, Bo maybe Jake - maybe Hutton  those kids are the beginnings

Patient - enjoy the ride

I fully agree.  

Dropping a franchise Center into the rebuild has people talking about it being sped up...  but when he’s not playing, it’s clear that there’s still a lot of work to do.  

Nux are only in the playoff mix because they’ve played more than anyone and they got a hot streak from Markstrom.  

This market is so up and down it’s hilarious.  This is still JUST year ONE of the full tilt Sedinless rebuild.   I get that It’s hard to stay even keel when the entire hockey world is falling in love with our new star, but the honest reality is our offence is below average without him and we have just 2 top 4 dmen.   

Now with some astute maneuvering, ie: capitalizing on assets such as Sutter and Edler, then walking into UFA with a few more bucks to spend, and likely a few more interested players lining up to play with Petey....  perhaps a hockey trade or two, ie: Goldie + Hutton for some level of upgrade at either position....  this franchise is in decent shape...

but may I encourage everyone to slow down and realize that we’re still 2-4 years away...  not from being in the playoff mix, but from being a dominant force.  

38 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sutter has stunk the joint out the past two games and his comments made after the Pettersson incident in Montreal makes me want to punch him in the face.  But, this is only his second game back from his injury...so I'm inclined to give him a chance to get back into game shape.  If Sutter could fetch a second and a third pick, then I'd pull the trigger.  If it's a 5/6 d-man and a late draft pick, I would pass.

As much as I like Gaudette and his potential, I think he's still a little ways off from being an effective NHLer.  Right now Sutter (in game shape) > Gaudette...in one/two years Gaudette >>>> Sutter. 

If I'm JB and TG (and for all us Canucks fans, thankfully I'm not), for the balance of this season, I would construct the team with two offensive centers (obviously Pettersson and Horvat) and two pure defensive forwards (trade Sutter, elevate Beagle to 3rd line center and play Gaunce as the fourth line center) and allow Gaudette to develop his two way game in Utica positioning him to have the third line center role his to claim in 2019-2020.  The bottom half of the Canucks lineup needs to be relatively skilled, heavy and mean for this season.  Something that it isn't now.  For 2019-2020, we need a three lines that can play solid two way hockey and a fourth line that is relatively skilled, heavy and mean.  Tall order indeed.

For me, to achieve the above, the tradeable forwards are Sutter, Goldobin and Granlund. 

Sutter was foundational for a few of the kids, but he’s not needed on the roster more than he represents in trade value, IMO. 

Sure, the team will be in a tougher position to win, but rather pretending they are ‘competing’, I’d rather they put another W-W type in the middle to finish off the throw-away season and go into this hometown draft with a purpose. 

11 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

One of the best.

I want to hear more about the attempted super man punch on kassian in an elevator. LOL. Shades of fedor fedorov part 2.0.

LOL you just know it’s a good story too. 

Poliout isn’t even a plug a plug is useful.

sutter is a “crack in the foundation”  

schaller was another mistake.

eriksodone another horrible mistake get paid to be invisible I guess since that is what he does. 

The team would be better without them. 

Archived