The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Jan. 05, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

I really like Hutty and would hate to see him go.  He worked very hard to improve his game and has the right attitude.  You want players who can be coached and buy into a team's plans.  He seems  to be a work in progress that can continue to improve and be an asset.

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I really like Hutty and would hate to see him go.  He worked very hard to improve his game and has the right attitude.  You want players who can be coached and buy into a team's plans.  He seems  to be a work in progress that can continue to improve and be an asset.

Yeah, a lot of fuss has been made of EP (rightfully so) but the progress of Bo, Virtanen and Hutton ,Stecher even, has been a boon to this team as well.

30 minutes ago, BLU3GR33NBL00D said:

Juice is definitely an upgrade on many of our Dman

How stoked would Rogers Arena be on his first night back?

Yet CDC wanted him run out of town because " he wasn't as fast as he once was and was getting beat on the outside" Always seems to be something wrong, until  its gone . That was an absolutely embarrassing loss against the leafs.My wife and i were at the game.  Was a whole team issue no effort givin, the whole game. Other than some bright spots from Jake and Bo that was it.

5 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Yet CDC wanted him run out of town because " he wasn't as fast as he once was and was getting beat on the outside" Always seems to be something wrong, until  its gone . That was an absolutely embarrassing loss against the leafs.My wife and i were at the game.  Was a whole team issue no effort givin, the whole game. Other than some bright spots from Jake and Bo that was it.

Funny thing is...I remember people screaming to get rid of him over ten years ago (about the same time I got his jersey).  He did have an issue of jumping up into the play, costing us defensively at times.  Then he spent a summer (I believe) working on that....on how to time it and conscientiously assess whether to or not based on positioning, where the puck was, etc.  Rather than just acting on impulse.  He improved a great deal after that.  

I like players who will continue to work on their game rather than just expect us to accept their game as is. 

Not a Leafs fan to say the least, but it has to be said they schooled us. Their depth in skill and talent is scary. But they did it over years. Our forwards aren't producing outside of three and we all know who they are. The sad thing is our forwards are further along in development than our defence.  We desperately need to trade Edler for a draft, Tanev, or both. Build up a group of talented young guys with potential and develop them, it's the only way to build for the future. Been following these guys for decades, not getting into the playoffs, where we'd likely lose in four, this April is not the end of the world. It's the cost of growing a good team. 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Funny thing is...I remember people screaming to get rid of him over ten years ago (about the same time I got his jersey).  He did have an issue of jumping up into the play, costing us defensively at times.  Then he spent a summer (I believe) working on that....on how to time it and conscientiously assess whether to or not based on positioning, where the puck was, etc.  Rather than just acting on impulse.  He improved a great deal after that.  

I like players who will continue to work on their game rather than just expect us to accept their game as is. 

Agreed , we can go back just to last year with Hutton or Virt as an example. Never enough , fast enough for alot of people.

5 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Funny how you attack me instead of addressing my points. Seems to be a common theme on this board.

Who's 'we'? You don't play for the Canucks...

“We Are All Canucks”

You don’t have any points to address. Just more trolling of PGT threads where we lost. Not once have I ever seen you comment on a PGT where we won. Interesting. 

Now that this ugly loss is behind the team, I'm very interested to see how they respond next game against Arizona. There are a few players who will probably be wanting to put out a better showing than the dreck on display in Toronto. 

Gudbranson and Hutton will hopefully put in some work to shore up their deficiencies. 

As well, the game after should be interesting as it'll be the first game against Florida. Will Matheson be made to retroactively pay for the assault on Petterson? I certainly hope so. 

2 hours ago, apollo said:

We wouldn't be whining if at least one single player should some accountability for Kotkaniemi taking out Elias. 

I went from %1000 being behind this team to now extremely disinterested since most these guys are either following Travis green orders and only care about collecting a paycheque. 

This team takes too many nights off. I don’t care how tough a schedule can get during the season, you grind it out and show up to play. Green can’t seem to get the entire team motivated for any one game. If the Pettersson line isn’t firing, the team is doomed from puck drop. Between that and the lack of emotion, I agree with you 1000%. This team is becoming frustrating to watch. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now that this ugly loss is behind the team, I'm very interested to see how they respond next game against Arizona. There are a few players who will probably be wanting to put out a better showing than the dreck on display in Toronto. 

Gudbranson and Hutton will hopefully put in some work to shore up their deficiencies. 

As well, the game after should be interesting as it'll be the first game against Florida. Will Matheson be made to retroactively pay for the assault on Petterson? I certainly hope so. 

Personally, I’m not holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, rychicken said:

trading board members? hmmm, I can see it now....

rychicken has been traded to the "bring back the Hartford Whalers" forum in exchange for a 8x10 autographed photo of Ray Ferraro...

I have a NTC or I would have been dealt long ago.

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Personally, I’m not holding my breath. 

Me either.  And I don't even know that I like going back in time to "settle things".  It goes sideways quickly.

I wish we'd just play teams really hard to send a message.  I know it's physically exhausting to do so, but when Edler stands someone up at the blueline, it has an impact.  When Jake smashes someone into the boards...

In real time, I'm all for swarming a player who's taken out one of your best.  Going at him all night so he doesn't get to just slither away.  When the game ends, it's kind of done for me.  That was the window of opportunity.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Only if Petey takes matters into his own hands, a la Bure

16 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

I disagree with you saying +/- is a noob stat.

No, it is the prototypical noob stat.

And this game the perfect exanple of how misleading it can be, particularly out of context (shutdown players almost always have unflattering +/-) - and in small samples.

Take Gudbranson for example - on a regular night for Markstrom, three of those goals are somewhat routine saves.  On one of them Hutton with a pretty bad turnover down low.  On another, Pouliot is cautious/hesitant against the rush, gets beaten wide = literally nothing to do with Gudbranson.   But ermagerd, Gud was -5 =  is he ever awfulzzz!   It's an on-ice / team statistic that is worthless out of context and in small samples, period.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

No, it is the prototypical noob stat.

And this game the perfect exanple of how misleading it can be, particularly out of context (shutdown players almost always have unflattering +/-) - and in small samples.

Take Gudbranson for example - on a regular night for Markstrom, three of those goals are somewhat routine saves.  On one of them Hutton with a pretty bad turnover down low.  On another, Pouliot is cautious/hesitant against the rush, gets beaten wide = literally nothing to do with Gudbranson.   But ermagerd, Gud was -5 =  is he ever awfulzzz!   It's an on-ice / team statistic that is worthless out of context and in small samples, period.

Stretch and EP have great plus minus stats while those around them don’t. 

Can you explain that as it relates to the Canucks? 

Archived