Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

Jesus, I know I keep beating a dead horse but with as much discontent surrounding the liberals and Trudeau as there is at the moment, how is the CPC that bad at this?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Jesus, I know I keep beating a dead horse but with as much discontent surrounding the liberals and Trudeau as there is at the moment, how is the CPC that bad at this?

Well it's actually funny you should ask.

But the answer is terrible

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

For me the biggest most egregious aspect of that was the fact that Harper addressed and used CRA as his wn personal attack dog.  CRA attacked numerous charities on the left and slightly centre left as well as innocent charities based around the environment citing "political interference" costing them money and time but in some cases caused them to cease to exist.

But, charities on the right and centre right completely escaped unnoticed or untouched.  Numerous high profile individuals pointed this out when it was happening.  Manning and Fraser institutes completely untouched.  But a whale protection advocacy group was shut down.  

Harper is a &^@#ing scumbag.  No doubt about it. 

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

JT has good PR team.  He knows that every "photobomb" he does with his photographer and articles claiming how he's "hip".... will win him votes from the less politically educated.  

Instead of maybe doing something similar, Scheer just presents himself as if he's your accountant.  Plain, vanilla, boring.  

Obviously he doesn't match JT in the looks department, but heck... at least lose 15 pounds, get a new personal stylist, and a trendy wardrobe.  

At least look better than just passingly presentable.  

37 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

JT has good PR team.  He knows that every "photobomb" he does with his photographer and articles claiming how he's "hip".... will win him votes from the less politically educated.  

Instead of maybe doing something similar, Scheer just presents himself as if he's your accountant.  Plain, vanilla, boring.  

Obviously he doesn't match JT in the looks department, but heck... at least lose 15 pounds, get a new personal stylist, and a trendy wardrobe.  

At least look better than just passingly presentable.  

I'm not speaking of Trudeau's and his team's efforts to make himself look good. I'm asking how is Scheer, and the CPC, this bad at making Trudeau look bad; particularly when (and I keep stressing this) so many Canadians are disinclined to like the guy!

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/16/2019 at 2:36 PM, Warhippy said:

This is great news.

I mean the entertainment factor alone will be amusing if nothing else.

Watching Bernier attack trudeau over Quebec will be awesome.  But watching Scheer try to explain how he's different than Bernier while Bernier attempts to paint him as a filthy moderate at the same instance that May Singh and trudeau point to them both and remind Canada how close Bernier was to winning the CPC leadership and how Scheer thinks an apology is enough to excuse years of bigoted behaviours while also trying to souse out just how far right verniers MPs plan on taking the party.

Is going to be awesome to watch

Bernier won't be attacking jt he will be attacking Scheer. 

• Hydration 2

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya I would think both but especially Sheer. Sheer will continue to attack Trudeau. Bernier will attack Sheer & the conservatives for being closer to the center. I'm sure the others will try and portray Bernier as Trump in some sense.

• Upvote 1

Bernier needs to not only bleed conservative votes but he needs to stop them from going over to the liberals. He will have to attack both Trudeau and Scheer but mostly Scheer. IMO Scheer has been such a disappointment, I really wonder what Bernier could have done if the CPC had put their confidence in him. Bernier seemed to have the charisma that Scheer lacks, he actually seems to have more way more conviction in his principles where as Scheer just comes across as a hypocrite who will likely do the same things he is criticizing his opponent for. Its too bad the whole PPC is a $&!#show, the last time I checked they were polling at 3%. If Canada had a neo-Nazi party I would bet that they would outperform the PPC. Bernier has spiraled into the gutter and CPC doesn't look better off for it either.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Quebec is Berniers best option for a seat or seats.  Northern Ontario Eastern Quebec, Rural Alberta/Saskatchewan 

He'll absolutely attack trudeau in Quebec but his main focus has to be Scheer or he'll never bleed away enough votes to look serious as a competitor

Jeezus...another "bozo eruption" it seems.

That's 3 count em 3 tweets or campaign ads that have had to be pulled by the Conservatives in the last 4 days alone.  This time though it's the RCMP slapping their hands.  When the RCMP says there is no criminal investigation it probably makes sense to not tell people it's a criminal investigation.

"We respect the rcmp and the work they do" except of course not enough to simply check your damned facts or take them at their actual word.  As has been pointed out, the tweet has been deleted but the sponsored facebook and instagram posts are still continuing.

https://www.cbc.ca/1.5287471?fbclid=IwAR0H1wzZgOzT9zHjlME9qWWWa0dQqqMsJ1sThIjtCKroXqRIymK5CRLyFVw

The Conservatives were forced Tuesday to remove two social media posts claiming the RCMP had confirmed it was investigating Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau over the SNC-Lavalin affair.

The tweets came shortly after RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki held a press conference in Ottawa to discuss the arrest of Cameron Ortis, the director general of the RCMP's national intelligence co-ordination centre, on allegations of spying. 

At the end of the press conference, Lucki was asked if the RCMP wanted Trudeau to waive cabinet confidentiality so the force could continue examining whether there was obstruction of justice in the case of SNC-Lavalin and Trudeau's former attorney general, Jody Wilson-Raybould.

"Today we're here for Mr. Ortis's investigation. So I don't want to comment very much," she said. "We do take all investigations very seriously and investigate to the fullest."

Immediately after that statement, Brock Harrison, director of communications for Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer, posted on Twitter that the RCMP had just confirmed Trudeau was under investigation by the Mounties. 

A tweet from the Conservative Party headquarters swiftly followed suit: "Breaking: RCMP confirms Justin Trudeau is under investigation for the SNC-Lavalin corruption scandal."

Within minutes, Scheer himself repeated Lucki's words at a campaign rally in Winnipeg and suggested Trudeau was now officially under investigation.

That prompted the RCMP to issue a statement clarifying the commissioner's earlier remarks. 

Both Harrison's tweet and the Conservative Party headquarters tweet were then swiftly deleted. 

"This tweet was posted before the RCMP clarified their comments," explained a Conservative Party spokesman. "The tweet has been deleted. Unlike Justin Trudeau and the Liberals, we respect the work the RCMP does."

This is an area where whomever ends up as PM can improve:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/report-finds-immigrant-wage-gap-costing-canada-dollar50-billion-a-year-in-gdp/ar-AAHr0dk?li=AAgh0dA

The growing wage gap between immigrants and Canadian-born workers has hit a new high, with new Canadians earning 10 per cent less on average, says a new report.

The gulf, which spans age, gender, region and occupation, is costing the country $50 billion each year, according to an RBC Economics study set for release Wednesday.

The problem stems from a failure to adequately recognize credentials and work experience abroad, said Dawn Desjardins, deputy chief economist at RBC Economics.

About 38 per cent of university-educated immigrants aged 25 to 54 work at a job that fits their education level, compared with more than half of their Canadian-born counterparts.

"That means we’re not really maximizing that education, but as well we’re not necessarily maximizing the experience that some of these workers have," Desjardins said in a phone interview.

"We’re not really correctly valuing their contribution to Canada’s economy, to the labour market. And therefore we’re leaving on the table, I would say, some of this excess return we could be accruing to the economy overall."

More than half of the earnings gap — the shortfall is 18 per cent for immigrants aged 45 to 54 with a bachelor's degree or higher — can be attributed to employers discounting work experience gained in other countries, she said.

The gap in median earnings is nothing new but has risen over the past three decades, climbing to 10.3 per cent in 2016 from 3.8 per cent in 1986.

The report notes that Canada remains popular among — and reliant upon — immigrants. A recent Gallup poll found that the country came second only to the U.S. as a desired destination.

"Pretty good for a country of 37 million with a long winter," the RBC study states.

Immigrants make up one-fifth of Canada's population, a number that's expected to rise to 28 per cent by 2036, according to the report, titled "Untapped Potential."

"Canada needs to close its immigrant wage gap," it states, arguing that doing so would boost the country's annual GDP by as much as 2.5 per cent, or about $50 billion.

There's more in the link, but in a nutshell, we have an issue with not recognizing credentials that were attained in other countries. In fact, I experienced this myself, just last night:

At the college where I work, there was an evening second year accounting class, which is delivered by videoconference from our Terrace campus, to the campuses in Smithers, Hazelton and here in Prince Rupert.

One of the Prince Rupert students is a recent arrival in Canada from India and is in his 40s, which is unusual for our Indian students. He told me that he actually already has a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, but since his credentials aren't recognized in Canada, he's sitting in a classroom until 8:00 pm, going over stuff he already knows.

As the RBC report points out, this failure on our part actually costs money....both to the immigrant worker and the Canadian economy.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/report-finds-immigrant-wage-gap-costing-canada-dollar50-billion-a-year-in-gdp/ar-AAHr0dk?li=AAgh0dA

There's more in the link, but in a nutshell, we have an issue with not recognizing credentials that were attained in other countries. In fact, I experienced this myself, just last night:

At the college where I work, there was an evening second year accounting class, which is delivered by videoconference from our Terrace campus, to the campuses in Smithers, Hazelton and here in Prince Rupert.

One of the Prince Rupert students is a recent arrival in Canada from India and is in his 40s, which is unusual for our Indian students. He told me that he actually already has a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, but since his credentials aren't recognized in Canada, he's sitting in a classroom until 8:00 pm, going over stuff he already knows.

As the RBC report points out, this failure on our part actually costs money....both to the immigrant worker and the Canadian economy.

I agree, it's been an issue for decades now.  I can understand in the field of medicine why one would need Canadian standards, but other STEM areas shouldn't need to be quite so stringent

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I agree, it's been an issue for decades now.  I can understand in the field of medicine why one would need Canadian standards, but other STEM areas shouldn't need to be quite so stringent

For sure.

A big percentage of the doctors here in PR are from South Africa, but it isn't like they have to retake courses they took years ago. They have to pass a sort of "test" (as one of them told me) to "show that they know what they're doing"...

Meanwhile, in an area like accounting, (where lives are not at stake) Tamer is sitting in a classroom, when he should be working and earning a decent wage.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For sure.

A big percentage of the doctors here in PR are from South Africa, but it isn't like they have to retake courses they took years ago. They have to pass a sort of "test" (as one of them told me) to "show that they know what they're doing"...

Meanwhile, in an area like accounting, (where lives are not at stake) Tamer is sitting in a classroom, when he should be working and earning a decent wage.

Actually accounting is very specific to which country you're in based on their tax laws. They probably should be taking courses to get up to speed on Canadian laws before being certified. I know trades can also just take a test on the relevant code and practices. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Actually accounting is very specific to which country you're in based on their tax laws. They probably should be taking courses to get up to speed on Canadian laws before being certified. I know trades can also just take a test on the relevant code and practices. 

That could be it. It's just unfortunate that he has to slog through a bunch of other stuff that he already knows...

In any event, this guy isn't really complaining. Just a smile and a shrug of the shoulders. At least the material is pretty easy for him.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Your example seems quite odd.

I have hired someone from India. All her credentials from India were valid. She came from a recognized accounting firm in India.

I'm curious as to the specific credentials this individual has.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For something like accounting its no loss to us as we already have enough accountants in the country.Friend of mine had his mechanical engineering degree from mexico all he had to do was take one test and he would be certified in canada. Unfortunately he needed citizenship in order to take the test...that never happened he was kicked out of the country this year that was after 10 years in the country.

14 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm not speaking of Trudeau's and his team's efforts to make himself look good. I'm asking how is Scheer, and the CPC, this bad at making Trudeau look bad; particularly when (and I keep stressing this) so many Canadians are disinclined to like the guy!

tenor.gif?itemid=13114017

Hoping for Liberal Minority Gov with the Green party Support...

That would be ideal for Canadian Environment and our planet. 

• Hydration 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Definitely agree.  There should be certain countries where degrees should be recognized, at the very least like if they're from the EU, Japan, South Korea.... but apparently it's not the case.

I've met many international students who has degrees back in their home country, but aren't transferable and thus they eventually just left Canada once they realize there's no future here for them.  

One of my closest friend is a pharmacist... but not recognized in Canada.  She would have had to re-do her entire education in Canada (at international student prices which is like 3x) if she wanted to be a pharmacist.  Now she moved back to Japan and is setting up her own pharmacy.  A loss to Canada as there are shortages.

Another of my friend had to do a few "intro to mechanical engineering" even though she was already a manager back in South Korea.  

My wife is a school teacher... but since she will need to take a few semester worth of courses to get her teaching license to be recognized... plus you gotta "pay your dues" by being a TOC or whatever, she is just just not going to bother.  She'll probably just rather do the Education Assistant program once our kids are able to be sent to daycare or something.  

Sometimes I wonder if there is some concerted effort by the powers that be to just milk international students with their extremely high tuition fees and to force them into minimum wage jobs while they are on their student visas, working holidays, and hoping to get a PR.  

Immigration is always good... but not when they are perpetually stuck in economic conditions that are worse than the average Canadian (which isn't that high to begin with).