Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

14 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Bernier won't be attacking jt he will be attacking Scheer. 

Trudeau is the appetizer and Scheer is the main course. Bernier will mock Trudeau and his too-lefty policies (like fake border fears) and then brand Scheer as too wimpy to act to stop him. Thats my guess. 

• Hydration 1

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Definitely agree.  There should be certain countries where degrees should be recognized, at the very least like if they're from the EU, Japan, South Korea.... but apparently it's not the case.

I've met many international students who has degrees back in their home country, but aren't transferable and thus they eventually just left Canada once they realize there's no future here for them.  

One of my closest friend is a pharmacist... but not recognized in Canada.  She would have had to re-do her entire education in Canada (at international student prices which is like 3x) if she wanted to be a pharmacist.  Now she moved back to Japan and is setting up her own pharmacy.  A loss to Canada as there are shortages.

Another of my friend had to do a few "intro to mechanical engineering" even though she was already a manager back in South Korea.  

My wife is a school teacher... but since she will need to take a few semester worth of courses to get her teaching license to be recognized... plus you gotta "pay your dues" by being a TOC or whatever, she is just just not going to bother.  She'll probably just rather do the Education Assistant program once our kids are able to be sent to daycare or something.  

Sometimes I wonder if there is some concerted effort by the powers that be to just milk international students with their extremely high tuition fees and to force them into minimum wage jobs while they are on their student visas, working holidays, and hoping to get a PR.  

Immigration is always good... but not when they are perpetually stuck in economic conditions that are worse than the average Canadian (which isn't that high to begin with).  

In Canada if you wanna PLay......  U gotta Pay......... Pay.... and then pay some more...

Teachers...

4-5 years of university...

Volunteer teaching experience 100-200 hours unpaid  before you can apply to PDP teaching program

1-1.5 years in a PDP program.

Teacher on call for 1-2 years.....

Then you may get a teaching job.  First year teacher makes a huge 1200 bucks a paycheck....  and probably owes over 50,000 in student loans...

Now you know why there is a teacher shortage...   Youth have figured out going into the trades is a better option and they will be way better off financially. 

22 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I've met many international students who has degrees back in their home country, but aren't transferable and thus they eventually just left Canada once they realize there's no future here for them.  

One of my closest friend is a pharmacist... but not recognized in Canada.  She would have had to re-do her entire education in Canada (at international student prices which is like 3x) if she wanted to be a pharmacist.  Now she moved back to Japan and is setting up her own pharmacy.  A loss to Canada as there are shortages.

I'm pretty sure you just have to show proficiency through examination if you want to be a pharmacist in Canada but are internationally trained. Your friend probably couldn't pass the exams (which I've heard is quite tough). They don't make you enrol in a Canada Pharmacy program if you already have a 4 year degree in pharmacy. 

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I'm pretty sure you just have to show proficiency through examination if you want to be a pharmacist in Canada but are internationally trained. Your friend probably couldn't pass the exams (which I've heard is quite tough). They don't make you enrol in a Canada Pharmacy program if you already have a 4 year degree in pharmacy. 

That's only if she can even get her PR to apply for the program.  She applying for PR as an  immigrant in her field is a crapshoot... thus she would have had to either go via the international student way (lots of money) or she would probably need to work at some random job for sponsorship (like for near minimum wage at Tim Hortons or something) for like 2+ years.  Then after 2 years, she may be able to take the exam that you mentioned.  

So "wasting" like 3-5 years for maybe a shot at being a pharmacist in Canada doesn't make much sense in her case.  Thus she went back to Japan to set up her own pharmacy.  

I can understand making sure English proficiency is key, but you'd assuming being an actual pharmacist in another 1st world country for 5+ years should allow you some accelerated route in Canada.  Like maybe having the exam tied with a PR or something, eg. if you pass, you get a PR.  

Since most immigrants are moving into Canada at their prime years, Canada should be making it much more streamlined.  Instead, it's cumbersome.

I remember having a prof in college that taught literature, I believe he was from the UK.  He mentioned how he wanted to be a high school teacher in Canada but noticed that there were a bunch of courses he had to take first.  There were a few literature courses on that list that he actually taught in post-secondary... so he asked the school board if he can get an exemption for those courses, since he is the one actually teaching those courses.... they said no :picard:

wow, CPC supporters must be getting desperate

False online rumour claims RCMP chief is married to Bill Morneau's cousin

brenda-lucki-and-bill-morneau.jpg
An unfounded rumour circulating online links RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki, left, to Finance Minister Bill Morneau, right, through a family connection. The rumour claimed the alleged family connection was the reason why the RCMP had not launched an official investigation of the federal government over the SNC-Lavalin scandal. The rumour is false. (L: Chris Wattie/Reuters, R: Sean Kilpatrick/Cdn Press)
comments

A rumour that RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki's husband is related to Finance Minister Bill Morneau was shared widely online over the past week. The rumour claims the supposed familial relationship is the reason the RCMP has not launched an official investigation into the Trudeau government's handling of the SNC-Lavalin scandal.

But it's not true. Morneau and Lucki's husband aren't related.

The unfounded rumour appears to be based on hearsay and was first mentioned by a Twitter account with fewer than 500 followers, offering no evidence of a link between the two officials. The rumour was then amplified to reach an audience of tens of thousands of Canadians on Facebook and Twitter in a matter of days. 

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So, can someone explain this... what the logic behind supporting 'greener' mining but not 'greener' oil transport?

Federal Green Party pledges investment in sustainable mining

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/green-party-platform-mining-1.5288512

Hard to electrify the oil pipeline industry....  

Much simpler to just not build pipelines that are designed to move toxic tar sludge....

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow, CPC supporters must be getting desperate

False online rumour claims RCMP chief is married to Bill Morneau's cousin

brenda-lucki-and-bill-morneau.jpg
An unfounded rumour circulating online links RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki, left, to Finance Minister Bill Morneau, right, through a family connection. The rumour claimed the alleged family connection was the reason why the RCMP had not launched an official investigation of the federal government over the SNC-Lavalin scandal. The rumour is false. (L: Chris Wattie/Reuters, R: Sean Kilpatrick/Cdn Press)
comments

A rumour that RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki's husband is related to Finance Minister Bill Morneau was shared widely online over the past week. The rumour claims the supposed familial relationship is the reason the RCMP has not launched an official investigation into the Trudeau government's handling of the SNC-Lavalin scandal.

But it's not true. Morneau and Lucki's husband aren't related.

The unfounded rumour appears to be based on hearsay and was first mentioned by a Twitter account with fewer than 500 followers, offering no evidence of a link between the two officials. The rumour was then amplified to reach an audience of tens of thousands of Canadians on Facebook and Twitter in a matter of days. 

Between this.  The CPC and Scheer tweeting that the RCMP were in fact investigating trudeau over a criminal matter and the Mercer forgery the CPC is looking like a bunch of fake news.  This is without mentioning the cries about NAFTA that is so terrible but would be ratified under Scheer.

Bernier may very well eat Scheer alive on stage

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

In Canada if you wanna PLay......  U gotta Pay......... Pay.... and then pay some more...

Teachers...

4-5 years of university...

Volunteer teaching experience 100-200 hours unpaid  before you can apply to PDP teaching program

1-1.5 years in a PDP program.

Teacher on call for 1-2 years.....

Then you may get a teaching job.  First year teacher makes a huge 1200 bucks a paycheck....  and probably owes over 50,000 in student loans...

Now you know why there is a teacher shortage...   Youth have figured out going into the trades is a better option and they will be way better off financially. 

Lol. This just isn't true at all.

4 years of University. 

Built into the 4 years is the teaching experience required to apply to the PDP teaching program. 

12 months in the PDP program.

Full time positions in elementary school and lower grade high schools available immediately in the present day. 

Depending on the district, first year salary is 55-58k.

I had 4 friends graduated the UBC PDP program this past summer and are all full time teachers as of this school year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hard to electrify the oil pipeline industry....  

Much simpler to just not build pipelines that are designed to move toxic tar sludge....

how do you think the oil gets moved? 

2 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

4 years of University. 

Built into the 4 years is the teaching experience required to apply to the PDP teaching program. 

Full time positions in elementary school and lower grade high schools available immediately in the present day. 

I had 4 friends graduated the UBC PDP program this past summer and are all full time teachers as of this school year.

Try to post things you actually have experience with.

Most undergrads now do not do 40 courses in 4 years...  most work part time.  

The average 4 yr degree now is taking students 5 years to finish.

You do realize that SFU PDP is now 18 months long ... you do know this right ?

Try to post things you actually know about.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Between this.  The CPC and Scheer tweeting that the RCMP were in fact investigating trudeau over a criminal matter and the Mercer forgery the CPC is looking like a bunch of fake news.  This is without mentioning the cries about NAFTA that is so terrible but would be ratified under Scheer.

Bernier may very well eat Scheer alive on stage

personally I find it hilarious that the words "cousin" and "marriage" are what make a believable story for CPC supporters :ph34r:

It'll be interesting to see how far Bernier goes courting Canadian evangelicals. Scheer has already staked out the position that he won't let certain votes happen so Beriner can go hard after that group. Scary hordes at the borders. Canadian values testing. Its a goldmine for him. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

4 years of University. 

My daughter is a first year teach in Surrey district.   Teachers across the province are paid the same.

I saw her first paycheck.   This at level 5 which is bach plus PDP.  Her deposit to her bank was 1200.

Again please try to post on topics you have direct experience with. 

10 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

At least you are only 20 % off on this one.

First year teachers start at 50,000 per year but they have alot of deductions.  Their take home is 1200 every 2 weeks. 

Plus many have large student debts and they typically have to purchase equipment / books and supplies for their classroom and students.

Youth today are rejecting teaching as a career. Rightfully so for the low wages.. instead they are heading into the trades where they will make similar money if not more and have no debt.   Especially the boys.   Try to find a male student heading into teaching. Good luck. 

BC governments have destroyed public education.. but i guess that was plan all along ... right ? 

Edited by kingofsurrey

41 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You do realize that SFU PDP is now 18 months long ... you do know this right ?

You do realize that UBC PDP is now 11 months long .... you do know this right?

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My daughter is a first year teach in Surrey district.   Teachers across the province are paid the same.

I saw her first paycheck.   This at level 5 which is bach plus PDP.  Her deposit to her bank was 1200.

Again please try to post on topics you have direct experience with. 

Surrey School District 36 at cat5 starts at 50k.

School district 39 at cat5 starts at 53k

School district 50 at cat5 starts at 57k

School district 55 at cat5 starts at 55k

Again, please try to post on topics you have direct experience with.

$50,000 is pretty good money for a starting wage.plus benefits for life pension and job security.

Just now, Violator said:

$50,000 is pretty good money for a starting wage.plus benefits for life pension and job security.

not to mention 9 weeks off in the best of the time the year.

2 weeks off to enjoy the Christmas holidays with family.

1-2 weeks off at spring break.

The abundance of pro-d days

5 minutes ago, Violator said:

I believe they need to offer more to attract better candidates. I think education is our most important resource. I have two teachers in my extended family ( bros wife and girl friend after , haha) and honestly they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. However they are on 70+ these days. That said my older sister is a superintendent at the school board, she is on decent 6 figures but it took her a long time to work her way up. 

I'm starting my retail ( liq stores) managers at 50k, but as you and @NucksPatsFan point out lots of benefits, time off , pension etc.. to being a teacher. 

Still I think they need to up the game a bit.

So the cpc said the Mercer misquoting was just a joke.

So that means they can't complain about anything posted against them cause "just a joke?"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elections/rick-mercer-lashes-out-at-burnaby-conservatives-for-posting-fake-endorsement/ar-AAHrrnA?ocid=spartandhp

"“It was a joke, but all the lefties took umbrage with it, so we took it down” she said. “We were very surprised when people took it serious.”

Allow me to start:

Scheer said he would open up the abortion/pro choice debate

Scheer said he would sell off the Canadian military and privatize Canada's new security force

Ohh the possibilities of being able to joke are limitless.

• Upvote 2